Are you having trouble changing your mac’s lock screen?
Well, the lock screen of your mac acts as a secure interface between your Mac and the outside world. And believe me, it can get monotonous and boring scrolling through the same picture every time you turn on your computer.
Lucky for people like us, Mac computers are customizable machines that allow users to personalize the look and feel of the computer’s operating system.
Whether you want to change the desktop wallpaper or add a little personalization to make the lock screen more fun, there are a few different ways how to change lock screen on mac.
Go through this blog to learn everything you need to know about the different ways you can make your mac more personalized.
Here is how to change lock screen on mac:
- Steps your lock screen picture
- Steps to change your lock screen message
- Steps to Change your user icons
- Steps to disable Lock screen image
1. How to change your lock screen picture
If you are a student, an employee, or a human in the 21st century, it’s obvious that you look at your laptop’s screen at least 5 times a day. So it’s better if it’s interesting, right?
You don’t want to look at something you don’t like 5 times a day, do you? Don’t worry; this blog’s got your back. Here is a quick guide for you to get things done for you.
First things first, download from your browser some pictures that you love. Or a picture that means something to you and is special on your laptop.
Make sure that the picture you download fits the size of your mac and that the photo is compatible with your mac’s resolution. After this is done and sorted, follow these steps-
1. On your Mac’s screen, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner of the window.
2. In the next menu bar, choose ‘About this mac.’
3. On the window that appears next, tap on ‘Displays.’
4. This will help you identify your mac’s screen resolution
5. Now, open preview to view your downloaded image
6. Locate to ‘Tools’ and click on ‘Adjust size.’
7. Next, adjust the pixels of your picture to match your screen’s resolution.
8. Click Ok to continue.
9. Save the edited image as a PNG File and name it
10. Next, open the finder.
11. Choose ‘go to folder’ from the drop-down menu you’ll find at the top of your screen ( A shortcut to this is command + shift +G)
12. In the pop-up window, input ‘Library/caches.’
13. Click on ‘Go’ to continue.
14. Next, drag the picture you want the new lock screen into the caches folder.
15. Click ‘Replace’ when prompted (In the given case you are not prompted, change your image’s name to lockscreen.png. Go to the caches folder again, click on desktop pictures, and open the folder there. Replace the image when prompted)
Next time you open your mac, you’ll find your lock screen changed with your favorite picture!
2. How to change your lock screen message
Sometimes, having just a picture on your lock screen isn’t interesting or personal enough. Thankfully Apple has a solution for that too, and this blog is here to explain that solution to you.
So, here are the steps you can follow in case you want to add a personal message/ quote or line to your lock screen-
- Again click on the apple icon on your screen.
- This time, choose ‘System Preferences from the drop-down menu
- On the folder shown next to you, click on ‘Security and privacy
- Tap on the lock icon on the bottom left of your screen.
- Put in your password to initiate any changes.
- Put a check next to the box that says, ‘Show a message when the screen is locked.
- Next, Select ‘Set lock message.’
- In the next box, type whatever you wish to see on your lock screen, witty, sarcastic, informative, your call!
- Click on OK
The next time you open your screen, you will be greeted by your personalized message!
3. How to Change your user icons
Another sleek and fun feature to explore around in your mac and make your lock screen more interesting is changing your user icons. Here is how you can do it-
- Open system preference by clicking on the apple icon on your home screen
- Among the options, choose ‘ Users and groups
- Move your mouse to the top of your current icon
- Click on edit
- Feel free to choose or click your image through the webcam button
You can also change the user icons of other user accounts by clicking on the lock icon and entering your password.
4. How to disable Lock screen image
Let’s be honest and practical; not everyone wants their screen lit up with their favorite images and motivational quotes when their screen is locked.
Some people like no distraction whatsoever, especially adults who work from home and don’t want kids to mess with their laptops cause its attractive when it’s locked.
Well, there is a solution for those people. You can disable the lock screen image on your mac. This is how you can do it-
Apple icon on desktop> System preferences > Click Security & Privacy > Enter Password > Click ‘Turn off Screen lock
Now, when your computer wakes back up after you’ve shut it down. You’ll no longer have to go through the hassle of your lock screen and will directly be able to get down to the business you were on to before on your computer.
In the end, If you wanted a fresh new look for your lock screen or were just not happy with how your computer took you to your home screen, you have now found the answers.
How Do I Resize An Image For My Apple Lock Screen?
Follow these instructions to resize the picture on your Mac according to your mac dimensions to make it the perfect desktop background-
Click on the Apple logo on the home screen > Choose about this mac > Display > Mac’s Display Dimensions.
Learn the display dimensions, then follow this other round of instructions-
Right-click on the desired image> Open with > Preview > Tools > Adjust size> Enter mac dimensions and save.
How Do I Change The Screen Lock Time?
You can do this as follows-
Apple menu > System preferences >Desktop & Screen saver> Start After.
Select the time you want to pass on your default screen before the lock screen wallpaper appears.
How To Change My Name On My Lock Screen?
To make this possible, you must rename your macOS and home folder.
1. To change the home folder- Go to user and rename
2. To change your MacOS name-
System Preferences > Users & Groups > Click the Lock icon > Enter new admin name > Control + Click on the new name.
Restart and find the name on your lock screen changed.
How Do I Lock The Screen On My Mac To View The Lock Screen?
Here’s a quick and easy way for you to do this-
Go to the Apple menu> Lock screen.
Or press Ctrl+ CMD+ Q.