Are you looking to build an intranet in Sharepoint 2013? Follow our step-by-step tutorial to enhance your internal communications and improve collaboration within your organization.
To build an intranet in SharePoint 2013, there are several steps you can follow:
- Start by creating a new subsite by going into the root site’s Site Content and selecting “New subsite.” Make sure to enable “Use the top link bar from the parent site.”
- Create apps for photos, appointments, and tasks under the Site Content of the new subsite. In the list settings for each app, go into “List name, description, and navigation” and enable adding the app to the Quick Launch.
- Add three new pages to the newly created subsite by modifying the homepage and adding wiki links to it. Save and click the links to create the new pages.
- Save the new subsite as a template by going to Site settings and selecting “Save site as a template.” Make sure to enable “Include content” for the new template.
- From the root site, create the two other subsites by going into Site Contents and using the newly created template.
- For each of the subsites, go into Site Settings and select “Change the look.” Choose a theme that shows a Quick launch.
- In the root site, add a link to the top navigation bar. Use the Edit link feature to add the link, but note that it cannot open in a new window. To solve this, activate the feature Server Intranet Infrastructure.
Additionally, ShortPoint is a design solution that empowers organizations to build engaging and collaborative intranets in SharePoint. It provides access to advanced functionality and offers modern intranet templates that can be copied into SharePoint or Teams sites for quick customization. ShortPoint is available for SharePoint in Office 365, SharePoint 2019 Online, and on-premise SharePoint environments such as SharePoint 2019, SharePoint 2016, and SharePoint 2013 Farm Servers. It is secure and runs entirely within your existing intranet platform.
Creating the Subsites and Customizing the Look
Once you have set up a new subsite, it’s time to create additional subsites and customize their look to fit your organization’s branding and style. SharePoint 2013 offers a range of customization options that allow you to create a visually appealing and user-friendly intranet.
To create new subsites, simply go to the Site Contents of your root site and use the template you saved earlier. This will ensure consistency across your intranet and save time in the creation process. You can create as many subsites as needed to accommodate different teams, departments, or projects.
After creating the subsites, it’s time to customize their look. SharePoint 2013 provides a feature called “Change the look” that allows you to choose from a range of predefined themes. These themes include options for Quick Launch, which provides easy navigation for users. Selecting a theme that includes Quick Launch will enhance the user experience and make it easier for employees to find the information they need.
In addition to changing the look, you can further customize the subsites by adding your organization’s branding elements. This can be done by modifying the master page, adding logos, or changing the color scheme to match your brand guidelines. By customizing the look of your subsites, you create a cohesive and professional intranet that reflects your organization’s identity.
Table 1: Customization Steps
|Create additional subsites using the saved template
|Go to Site Settings and select “Change the look”
|Choose a theme that includes Quick Launch
|Customize the subsites by adding branding elements
By following these steps and taking advantage of the customization options available in SharePoint 2013, you can create subsites that not only provide a seamless user experience but also align with your organization’s visual identity.
Looking for ways to elevate your intranet design in SharePoint? ShortPoint offers a range of features and templates that can help you create a visually appealing and user-friendly intranet experience for your employees.
ShortPoint is a powerful design solution specifically designed for SharePoint intranets. It provides access to advanced functionality and modern intranet templates that can be easily customized to fit your organization’s branding and requirements. Whether you’re looking to revamp your existing intranet or build a new one from scratch, ShortPoint offers the tools and resources you need to create a stunning and engaging platform.
With ShortPoint, you can enhance the design of your intranet by adding interactive elements, dynamic content, and modern layouts. The platform allows you to effortlessly incorporate features like news feeds, document libraries, employee directories, and social collaboration tools, all within the familiar SharePoint environment.
ShortPoint is compatible with various versions of SharePoint, including SharePoint in Office 365, SharePoint 2019 Online, and on-premise SharePoint environments such as SharePoint 2019, SharePoint 2016, and SharePoint 2013 Farm Servers. It seamlessly integrates with your existing intranet and operates securely within your SharePoint platform.
When it comes to building an intranet that not only looks great but also enhances collaboration and productivity, ShortPoint is the go-to solution. With its extensive library of templates and easy-to-use customization options, you can create a personalized intranet experience that reflects your organization’s unique culture and values.