If you want to enable editing capabilities in SharePoint Excel, follow these simple steps:
- Activate SharePoint Server Enterprise Features: Go to the SharePoint Online site collection settings and activate the SharePoint Server Enterprise Site Collection features and SharePoint Server Enterprise Site features if they are not already activated.
- Create a new permission level: Go to the site permissions in the site settings and click on “Permission Levels”. Copy the “View Only” permission level and create a new permission level called “Edit without Download” with “Add Items” and “Edit Items” permissions enabled.
- Assign the new permission level to users: In the document library where you want to share the Excel files, right-click on the document and choose “Manage access”. Click on “Advanced” and then “Stop inheriting Permissions”. Remove unnecessary users and groups from the permissions. Click on “Grant Permissions” and enter the user name. Choose the “Edit without Download” permission level to share the file.
By following these steps, users will be able to edit the Excel file in the browser without the ability to download it.
Assigning the New Permission Level to Users
To allow specific users to edit Excel files in the browser without the ability to download them, you need to assign the new permission level. This can be done by following these simple steps:
- In the SharePoint document library where you want to share the Excel files, locate the document and right-click on it. From the dropdown menu, choose “Manage access”.
- In the “Manage access” panel, click on “Advanced” and then select “Stop inheriting Permissions”. This will allow you to manage permissions individually for this document.
- Review the list of users and groups that have access to the document. Remove any unnecessary users or groups by selecting them and clicking on “Remove User Permissions”.
- Next, click on “Grant Permissions” and enter the username of the specific user you want to give editing access to.
- From the list of available permission levels, choose the newly created “Edit without Download” permission level. This level allows users to edit the file directly in the browser without the option to download it.
By following these steps, you can easily assign the new permission level to specific users, enabling them to edit Excel files in SharePoint without the risk of them being downloaded.