We will tell you how to add roles in discord with the easiest and the best methods. Earlier, Discord was only popular among video game players. It has everything that a team of players needs to coordinate with each other. But, it has become more known among corporate employees in recent times. The reason behind it is the role feature that it has.
A role on a Discord includes various permissions. These roles on discord work in hierarchical orders that are like a boon for employees. Using these roles, they can efficiently exchange professional information. Adding or editing roles on Discord is not that easy.
To do that, first, you need to understand the types of permissions Discord has. If you scroll ahead, you will find all the details on Discord roles and permissions. Also, you will find plenty of methods explained to you to use Discord permissions.
What Are Discord Server Permissions?
To manage a channel or a server on discord, there are several actions or tasks that users need to perform. But, not every user can perform every action. There is a certain hierarchy of actions maintained when you use discord.
Thus, discord permissions help in assigning roles to the users. Once they gain access to do specific actions, they can carry out the task given to them.
Discord server permissions refer to allowing tasks or actions to the users. Permissions can relate to anything from sending messages to removing users.
Another thing that you should understand is the “roles” in discord. In simple terms, they are a set of permissions assigned to a specific name. For instance, a moderator of your server can ban, mute, or remove any user from the server.
Let’s say you are the owner of a server; then it means that only you have the power of assigning permissions. You can choose whoever you want and give them access to any permissions.
Keep in mind that these changes are limited to servers only. You can’t extend them to the channel.
As for discord permissions, there are 31 permissions in total. To make it easier for the users, these permissions have 5 categories:
1. General Permissions
- View Channels
- Manage Channels
- Manage Roles
- Manage Emojis
- View Audit Log
- Manage Webhooks
- Manage Server
2. Membership Permissions
- Create Invite
- Change Nickname
- Manage Nicknames
- Kick Members
- Ban Members
3. Text Channel Permissions
- Send Messages
- Embed Links
- Attach Files
- Add Reactions
- Use External Emoji
- Use Mention
- Manage Messages
- Read Message History
- Send Text-to-speech Messages
- Use Slash Commands
4. Voice Channel Permissions
- Use Voice Activity
- Priority Speaker
- Mute Members
- Deafen Members
- Move Members
5. Advanced Permissions
Solutions To Add Roles In Discord
- How To Add Roles In Discord Via Computer
- How To Add Roles In Discord Via Mobile
- Steps To Assign Discord Roles On Computer
- Steps To Assign Discord Roles On A Mobile
- Management Of Discord Roles
- Set Channel Permissions On A Computer
- Set Channel Permissions On A Mobile Device
- Set Category Permissions On A Computer
- Set Category Permissions On A Mobile Device
How To Add Roles In Discord And Set Up Permissions?
1. How To Add Roles In Discord Via Computer
By now, you must know the importance of assigning roles on discord. But, adding roles or editing them might sound complicated to you. So, here is a detailed guide with steps that can help you to add or edit roles on discord:
- First, you need to log in with your credentials to Discord.
- Now, right-tap on the Server icon. You may find it on the left side.
- Open Server Settings, and from there, select the Roles option.
- Choose the Create Role option to get started.
- As you create several roles on Discord, you need to provide them with their color and name. It helps in differentiating a specific role among other roles. So, in a pop-up window, provide the Role name and Role color and then select the Create Role option.
- Select one option among Member, Moderator, Cosmetic, or Manager. It will determine the level of control you are giving to this role.
- To confirm your selection, click on “Select.”
- Now you can assign the role to the members. To do that, check the box that is beside each members’ name. Then select Add.
- If you only wanted to create the role and not assign it yet, then you can skip it by clicking on “Skip this step.”
After you have created the role, it will be visible in the Roles list.
If in the future you wish to edit the role in Discord, you can follow these instructions:
- Right-tap on the Server’s name and navigate to Server Settings.
- From Server Settings, select Roles.
- A pencil icon will display as an edit option. Click on it.
- Now open the Permissions tab and toggle its button to switch the permissions on or off.
- You can go to the Display tab to make changes related to the role’s name, color, etc.
- If you want to change the accessibility of the role to the members, you can go to the Manage Members tab.
So, this is how you can edit or add roles on discord through your computer. Mobile users can move to the next method.
2. How To Add Roles In Discord Via Mobile
Many people prefer using discord on mobile. If you use discord on mobile and want to create a role using it, you will need to follow the steps provided below:
- Launch the Discord app on your mobile.
- Tap on the Menu button. You will find it in the top left corner.
- Navigate to the server to which you want to add roles.
- Click on the three dots and open Settings.
- From the given list, select the Roles option.
- To provide the name and color of the role you are creating, click on the “+” icon. From her,e you can also choose the permissions that you want to give access to this role.
- To save your settings, click on the floppy disc-like icon.
If in the future you wish to change some settings or edit the role, you can follow these steps:
- Click on the Server menu after you open the Discord app on your mobile.
- Go to the Settings and select the Roles option.
- From here, choose the role that you wish to make changes to. You can take the help of checkboxes beside the permissions to switch off or on the permissions.
3. Steps To Assign Discord Roles On Computer
Assigning roles to members is not an easy task. You need to select the ones that are willing to perform it. Also, you would want to generate power for unbiased individuals. Once you have decided about the member to whom you would assign a role, follow these steps to do so:
- Navigate to your server and then select the member’s name. It will appear in the right corner.
- Now tap on the “+” icon in the menu that appears in front of you. An extended list will display roles. Select the one that you want for this user.
- You can click on the “X” icon in the role color section to remove the role.
- You can assign the roles from Server Settings by right-tapping on the server name. And then select “Members.”
If you have executed all the above steps in the right manner, your selected role should be assigned.
4. Steps To Assign Discord Roles On A Mobile
Steps to assign roles on discord through mobile are as easy as they were on computers. But, make sure that your device has strong connectivity to avoid technical glitches. Once that is out of the way, you can follow these steps:
- Launch the Discord application on your mobile device.
- Tap on the member’s icon on the top right corner.
- Select the name of the member to that you want to assign a role. Then, click on the Manage User option.
- A list of roles will display in front of you. Tap on the box beside the role that you want to assign to your selected member. The box will remain checked until you tap on it again to uncheck it.
- You can also assign the role through the Server menu by navigating to Settings. And then select “Members.”
These steps should work for people who use discord on their mobile devices.
5. Management Of Discord Roles
Managing the roles of discord is tough as there are plenty of them. But, despite that, you need to maintain a particular order for the roles. It is important because roles generate absolute control for the selected members.
And if chosen incorrectly, it can create a great deal of inconvenience to you. So, here are some things that you should take note of about managing discord roles:
- Always keep in check the modifications you are making to the roles. Try not to assign repetitive permissions to other roles to maintain the hierarchy.
- It would be better to create fewer roles. Doing so will keep things clean, which promotes efficient management of roles.
- You can use @everyone for the roles that are in general used by everyone. Make a separate one for more complicated roles, such as the main admin role.
- Modify the settings to show the color on the user’s username as the highest role assigned. This will let the other users know about the roles or number of roles assigned to all the users.
So, these are some of the things that can improve the management of discord roles on your server.
6. Set Channel Permissions On A Computer
Channel permissions and server permissions never align with each other. Besides, channel permissions override the server permissions. Thus, keep this in mind when you assign permissions to a role. Below are the steps to set channel permissions using your computer:
- Locate the channel’s name and select the Edit Channel option next to it.
- Now navigate to Permissions through the menu on your left.
- From the Advanced Permissions settings, you can choose the roles or members. Choose the ones that you want to give access to the permissions. A default role will be set as @everyone. You can change it by tapping on the “+” icon and then choosing the different roles.
- Choose the permissions that you want to give by checking the box. Dismiss the ones that you do not wish to grant by tapping on the “X” icon.
- To save the changed settings, tap on the Save Changes option.
The changes that you have made will come into effect after you save them.
7. Set Channel Permissions On A Mobile Device
Setting channel permissions on mobile is easy if you have strong connectivity. Follow the steps given below to modify channel permission settings on discord:
- Open the Discord app and navigate to the server menu.
- Locate the channel in which you want to make changes. Long press on it and then choose Edit Channel from the listed options.
- Move to Permissions from the User Management section.
- Tap on the Add a Role option. A list of roles will appear. Select the one that you want to alter.
- To grant permission, checkmark the boxes. Dismiss the ones that you do not want to grant.
- Tap on the floppy disc-like icon to save the changes.
8. Set Category Permissions On A Computer
To apply for permissions on specific categories, you use category permissions. So, use it only if you wish to assign selected permissions to all the voice and text channels. If you are not sure how to apply for category permissions, then here are the steps for that:
- Open the server and right-tap on the text or voice channel.
- Click on the Edit Category option.
- Navigate to Permissions and, from the Advanced permissions, choose the roles. Make sure only to choose the ones you want to grant permissions to.
- To keep the permissions, tick the box beside them. Dismiss the other permissions that you do not want to grant by clicking on the “X” icon.
- Confirm the changes that you have made by selecting the Save Changes option.
After you save the settings, the changed settings will come into effect right away.
9. Set Category Permissions On A Mobile Device
Modifying category permissions using mobile is easier than doing it on a computer. But, make sure that your internet connection is strong. Perform these steps on your mobile to change category permissions:
- Navigate to the server menu and locate the text or voice channel that you want to edit permissions.
- Tap on the Edit Category option.
- Open Permissions from the User Management section. Then, select the Add a Role option.
- Now choose the role that you want to edit.
- Tick mark the boxes of permissions that you want to grant to members. Dismiss the ones that you do not wish to grant by tapping on the “X” icon.
If you want your channel to have the same effect on its permissions category. You need to sync it with the category. You can follow these steps to sync your channel with the category:
- Navigate to Edit Channels and open Permissions.
- Tap on the Sync Now option.
Confirm the changed settings to apply them. Once you do that, your channel and category will get synced together.
Conclusion – Manage Discord Server Roles
So this is it on “How to add roles in Discord.” You can use the information provided in this guide whenever you wish to create roles in Discord. Another amazing use of roles is that you can group several bots on a server by assigning a single role to all of them.
You can also use specific colors for the roles to differentiate among them. Doing so will make managing the roles easier for you. Besides, it works when you have created so many roles in your server.
FAQs – Server Settings And Channel Permissions In Discord
Are Server Permissions, Discord Roles, And Channel Permissions Different?
Yes, server permissions are only in power till your server. When you move to your channel, some server permissions might not remain in power. Channel permissions are for Channels only; you can’t use them for your server. Discord roles contain several permissions. You can choose the combination of permissions a role can have while creating a role.
What Are Discord Channels On A Server?
Discord channels work as a group where the members communicate via voice chat or text. Channels are usually used to exchange information with the whole server.
How To Create Channels On A Discord Server?
Channel on Discord is a platform where the members can interact with each other. To create one, you need to open the drop-down menu on your server. You may find it in the top left corner. Now click on the Create Channel option among the listed options. Mobile users will have to slide to the right to navigate to the channel list and then select the server’s name. From there, choose Create Channel to create a new channel on your mobile.
Is It Necessary To Have Roles In A Discord Server?
If you do not wish to assign roles to your server members, then it’s not necessary to have them. Besides, server owners already have global permission to control everything that happens. But, if you want to assign roles to the members, then having roles becomes necessary.