Outlook is a software, developed by Microsoft, which acts as your personal assistant. It gets access to your contacts, calendar, and mail, to efficiently manage your time. It can also come up with a schedule for you, after you marked them on your calendar. It helps in time management and schedule making.
It keeps your address book and contacts safe. Outlook has multiple versions of it for Windows, Android, iOS, and also a website version. There have been different updates and upgrades to the software. Today, we have Outlook.com or Outlook web, Outlook 365, Outlook for iOS, and Outlook for Android.
If you’re connected to the internet, you will get live feeds of the temperature and the standard time of the regions you choose, by default. You can see this displayed in a bar on the upper portion of the mail window in Outlook.
Having a calendar in it is one of Microsoft Outlook’s basic functions. It notifies you if you have upcoming tasks or events on your calendar. Adding a calendar to your outlook is very simple and efficient, at the same time.
There are several ways on how to add a calendar in outlook. We have listed out various options below.
Add a calendar in Outlook.com or on the web
In Outlook.com, choose the calendar menu.
Click on Add calendar and in it, tap Create new calendar.
Type in a name for your calendar and choose a color and charm.
You can add your calendar to a previously existing group of calendars. This is totally optional.
Once you select Save, the calendar will be saved to your Outlook.
How do I add a shared calendar in Outlook (Windows)?
A shared calendar is recommended for groups of people, who have a common calendar, have common events, and work with the same schedule. This removes the need to create different calendars or make copies of the same calendar for everyone in the team. This feature is designed to accommodate the needs of people who work with a team or business partners. This prevents them from getting their schedules mixed and messed up. This is how you create a calendar using Microsoft Outlook
- Open your Outlook and in the Home tab, you’ll notice the Open Calendar menu. Click on it.
- From the drop-down menu, select From Address Book.
- The address book window is displayed. In it, search for the name you want.
- Double click on the name of the person, with whom you want to share a calendar.
- Click Ok. Their calendar would be found among the Shared Calendars.
Viewing a shared calendar in Outlook
Once you have added a shared calendar to your list of calendars, you can find shared calendars, in your navigation pane. If you want to look up your shared calendar, you can access it from the navigation pane.
Adding a calendar to Outlook 2016/2013 for Windows
- Select the Calendar view, and tap Open Calendar.
- There are multiple types of calendars that you can create in Outlook. Choose the type you want to create. The type of calendar you create, determines the content you enter in it.
- In case of using the Global Address List, you can pick the calendar you want and select the name on the list, and click Ok.
How to Create an iCalendar
- Create a new calendar.
- In the file menu, choose Save as and save the calendar in the iCal format. The calendar will be saved to your computer with a .ics extension.
Subscribe to a calendar or upload a calendar from a file
- Open Outlook. In the navigation pane, choose Add Calendar.
- You’ll notice Upload from File. Click on it.
- Browse in your local storage and select the .ics file that you want to upload. Click Open.
- Select the calendar you wish to upload and select Import.
Add a birthday calendar
- Open outlook.com, select the settings cog on the top right part of the page and click on View all Outlook settings.
- Select the Calendar in the list of settings, on the left.
- In the View menu, switch on the Turn on the Birthday calendar, in the Birthday calendar category.
- Click Save to keep the changes.
Add calendar shared within organization
Users of this software can share their calendars with their teams. These calendars, which are shared, can be added to your outlook. You only have to open the invitation sent by your Outlook invitee, in your team, and click Accept, on top of the window.
View calendar shared outside organization
If someone outside your Microsoft Outlook work/study group sends you an invite to share a calendar. When you see the sharing invitation, click on Accept and View Calendar. You will be redirected to the Outlook website and you will be able to see the Calendar subscription window. Click save, so that you can access it later, through your Outlook account.
Open shared calendar of a coworker without invitation
Users can also access the shared calendars of someone, who works with them. You do not need an invitation to view a shared calendar in outlook as internal users get viewing rights to the calendar.
- Start Outlook.
- In the Home tab, in the Manage Calendar group, choose Add calendar.
- Select the Open Shared Calendar.
- In the window that is displayed on the screen, click on the Name button.
- You’ll see a list of your outlook contacts, from which you have to select the name of the person whose calendar you wish to open.
- The Open a shared calendar window reappears, but now with the name of the contact, you chose in the once-blank Name box. Once you click on Ok, this will be added.
Add an Internet calendar to Outlook
You can add a calendar from the Internet to your outlook. This is how it has to be done.
- Open your outlook software.
- In the home tab, in the Manage Calendars group, chose the Add calendar drop-down menu.
- You’ll see the From Internet option. Select it.
- The New Internet Calendar Subscription window opens. In the blank space, enter the calendar file’s link.
- Confirm this by clicking yes. This will appear in the list of calendars in your outlook.
There are a lot of email service providers that are currently available. Outlook is one of the best email providers that is used by most corporate workers. Hope this article provided you with some help on setting up your calendar with outlook.