If you are browsing a webpage, you may have seen the gstatic.com website. What is Gstatic.com? Is it a website? Or Virus? Is it safe? Will it harm your computer if you use it? How to use it? Will it be necessary to remove it from the computer?
Many netizens are unaware of gstatic.com and take it as a virus or malware. So, what is gstatic.com exactly? It might be a google static code page designed to create HTTP 204 with No content response.
Loading website content using gstatic.com is normal. Somewhere it is employed by cyber-criminals to promote malware and scams. If you often encounter a pop-up that opens with gstatic.com, your computer may get infected with adware.
These ads are usually annoying and redirect you to untrustworthy sites. They even run scripts that download and install unwanted apps.
In this article, we will explain what gstatic is and what does it do? And will also break myths related to it.
What Is Gstatic/Gstatic.com and What Does It Do?
Gstatic or gstatic.com is a domain google owns. It plays an important role by helping the content on google to load faster from their content delivery network (CDN). With this, it performs the following features also:
- Reduces bandwidth usage
- Increase the speed of Google services, like Gmail and google maps
- Increase network performance
- Store static data like JS libraries and stylesheets etc
- Verified connectivity to the internet (for Android and Chrome)
Further, it has the following subdomains:
- fonts.gstatic.com: Requests to google fonts API are made to resource-specific domains.
- csi.gstatic.com: Its main purpose is to improve the performance of other sites.
A fake version of this domain also exists that many cyber-criminals use to install unwanted apps. They don’t disclose information about apps bundled with them. That’s why experts advise installing third-party apps only from reliable sources.
Is Gstatic a Virus/Tracker/Safe?
Gstatic is a legitimate google service that increases reduced bandwidth usage. It also enhances network performance.
Examples of it being used for bad activities were also reported. So when you observe unwanted pop-ups from gstatic, scan for viruses and malware.
Gstatic is a tracker also. Moreover, it needs help to add value to your business. Since 2017, it has been 20 to 25% less effective than you think.
As we know, Google is a tech giant and used by billions of people. The tracking share of gstatic is increasing every month. No need to worry because it’s only used to deliver content, not to track your personal information.
Can You Remove Gstatic?
Many people want to remove gstatic because they think it causes issues such as annoying pop-ups and errors.
But gstatic cannot be dismissed as it makes the content delivery fast.
How did adware install on my computer?
Let’s highlight “what is adware” first. It is known as advertisement-supported software. It automatically generates revenue for its developers by generating adware on your screen. It is created for computers but can also be found on mobile. It is sometimes manipulative and can open the door for suspicious people.
The adware creates an annoying pop-up, which appears on your screen. It might end up on a user’s device in one or two ways.
- You may have installed a free app or computer program without realizing that it contains adware. It will allow the developer to make money but means you could download adware without necessarily having consent.
- It is possible in your system to have a vulnerability that hackers take as an advantage of malware, including some adware to your system.
Adware mostly comes with the apps or programs you download from the internet. It will secretly install on your device without your knowledge. Free software ads may be annoying but not illegal. But if a third party adds malicious ad software without your consent, it is unlawful.
Adware works quietly by installing itself on your device, because maybe accidentally you click the advert, displays to you. Because the purpose of its existence is to make money.
Adware creators and distributing vendors make money by:
- Pay-per-click: They are paid each time you click their ad.
- Pay-per-view: They will be paid each time the ad is shown to you.
- Pay-per-install: They get paid each time bundled software is installed.
Adware can track your search and browsing history to show you ads that are relevant to you. Once they get your location and browsing history, they can earn additional income by selling that information to a third party.
The less Harmful part is that adware is just a nuisance. But the more harmful part is that it can be a damaging malware threat to your cybersecurity.
How do we avoid the installation of potentially unwanted applications?
Use trustworthy and authentic resources to download or install apps. Avoid third-party software, downloaders, torrent clients, etc.
Moreover, check custom, advanced, and other settings while installing any software. Do not select additionally included unwanted software, then finish the installation.
Many intrusive ads redirect users to unreliable websites. The websites are usually gambling, adult dating, or pornography. If you face these redirections, check installed apps and add-ons. Also the plug-ins to your browser, and uninstall unwanted apps immediately.
If your system is already affected by these unwanted apps, we recommend running a scan with combo cleaner antivirus for windows.
Some gstatic URSLs, used by google:
- www.gstatic.comEncrypted.tbn0.gstatic. com
- Encrypted.tbn1.gstatic. com
- Encrypted.tbn2.gstatic. com
Remove malicious add-ons from Internet Explorer:
- Select the gear icon from the top right corner of the internet.
- Select manage add-ons
- Look for any suspicious browser extension
- Select it all and remove it.
If you still have a problem with gstatic malware removal, reset your internet settings to default.
For Windows XP users:
- Select start
- Click run
- In the open window, type
- In the open window, click on the advanced tab
- Click reset
For Windows Vista and Windows 7 users:
- Click the Windows logo
- In the start search box, type
- Click enter
- In the opened window, click the advanced tab
- Then click reset
For Windows 8 users:
- Open internet explorer
- Go to the gear icon
- Open internet options
- In the window, click the advanced tab
- Click reset button
- Confirm that you want to internet explorer settings to default by selecting the reset button
Remove adware from Internet browsers
Remove a malicious extension from Google Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu icon at the top right corner of your screen
- Go to more tools and click extensions
- Look at all recently-installed suspicious browser add-ons
- Remove all of them
If still facing a problem, reset your browser settings
- Go to the Chrome menu icon
- Click settings
- Scroll down the screen
- Select advanced link
- Click the reset button after scrolling down the screen to restore its settings to default
- Now confirm that you wish to reset all settings to default, and then click the reset button
Remove malicious plug-ins from Mozilla Firefox:
- Click the Firefox menu at the right corner of the screen
- Click add-ons
- Select extension in the opened window
- Remove all recently-installed suspicious browser plug-ins
If still facing a problem removing gstatic malware, try resetting Mozilla Firefox settings.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox menu from the right corner of the screen
- Click help in the opened menu
- Go to troubleshooting information
- Click the refresh firefox button in the opened window
- In the opened window, make sure you want to reset all the Firefox settings to default
- Then click refresh Firefox buy menu
Remove a malicious extension from Safari
Confirm that your Safari browser is active.
- Select Safari menu and click preferences
- In the opened window, click extensions
- Select all the recently installed suspicious extensions
- Select them all and click uninstall
Another option is to make your Safari browser active then:
- Click on the Safari menu
- Go down and select clear history and website data
- In the opened window, select all history
- Click the clear history button
Remove a malicious extension from Microsoft Edge:
- Click the edge menu icon at the top right corner of the screen
- Select extensions
- Look at all recently installed suspicious add-ons click
- Select remove below their name
If the problem is the removal of gstatic malware persists, then:
- Go to the edge menu icon
- Select settings
- In the opened menu, go to reset settings
- Click restore settings to their default values
- In the opened window, make sure you want to reset Microsoft Edge settings to default
- Then click reset
If all these hacks do not work for you, there are alternatives to make changes in internet browsers. Let us have a brief look at them:
Reset Google Chrome to its default settings:
Resetting google chrome will not remove bookmarks and passwords. By resetting Chrome, you can get back to unwanted changes made by adware. Carefully follow the steps mentioned below to get the default search engine. Or homepage, default startup tabs, and extensions.
- Go to Google Chrome
- Open a drop-down list from the top right corner of the screen and click settings
- Scroll down the page and select advanced
- Scroll down again and restore settings to their original defaults
- In the confirmation dialog, click reset
Reset Mozilla Firefox to its default settings:
Resetting Firefox will lead it to factory settings. The recent feature can fix various issues related to hijackers and adware.
Firefox resetting will save your essential information and open tabs. Follow the steps to reset your extension. Or themes, search engine, plug-in setting, toolbar customization, user style, etc.
- Open Firefox
- Click the menu button and select help
- Select troubleshooting information
- Select refresh Firefox
- In the confirmation dialog, click refresh Firefox
- Select Finish to complete the process
Reset Apple Safari to its default settings
You can remove browser hijackers, adware, and unwanted applications by resetting Apple Safari. Thoroughly follow the steps mentioned below to reset your browsing history.
Or uninstall extensions, change your homepage and remove website data. Before version 8, the safari browser had a reset menu item that could be attained by clicking safari and choosing reset.
Those who have safari 8 can reset their browser by following steps:
- Open apple safari
- Open the Safari menu and select clear history
- Scroll down, select all history, then select clear history to complete the process
- Select the Safari menu and click preferences
- Then click the privacy tab and select manage website data
- Select remove all
- Select remove now to complete the process
- Click done as all website data is deleted
- Go to the Safari menu and select preferences
- Select the Advanced tab
- Click show develop menu in the menu bar
- Now from the safari menu bar, select develop and click empty caches
- Again go to the Safari menu and select preferences
- Go to the extension tab, select an extension to uninstall
- Click show in finder
- Right-click extension, select move to trash, or drag it to trash
- Type your password and select ok
Reset Microsoft Edge settings to their default setting
Microsoft edge has become an integral part of windows. It has got some changes till it was released initially.
Now resetting its settings to default is a breeze. The following steps will guide you on how you can reset its settings and an advanced method of file removal.
You can clear the browsing history, saved website data, cookies, cached data and files, and form data and passwords by following these steps:
- Open Microsoft edge
- In the right corner at the top, click the ellipsis and click settings
- On the left, select reset setting
- Select restore settings to their default values
- In the information dialog, click reset
Gstatic is a vast topic that is hard to cover in an article. But in this article, we tried to help you as much as we could to know what is gstatic, and if it is harmful to your device, then how? If not, then what is the actual purpose of gstatic.
It will help you to enhance the performance of your internet connection. If you want to remove it because you think it gives you annoying pop-ups and errors, so can’t because it increases content delivery.
This article will also provide you with help regarding adware. What it is, how it can be installed on your device without your knowledge, and how to remove it from different internet browsers.