Users who connect to the Internet through the U-Verse modem sometimes face a very common “Gateway authentication failure” message. Now a question arises, what is/are the reasons behind this error? Or how to fix this kind of issue? In this article, we are going to explore and discuss various solutions to fix the “gateway authentication failure error”.
What Are The Reasons That Lead To The “Gateway Authentication Failure Error”?
- The Router Configuration File Settings Are Modified Or Corrupted.
The main reason behind gateway authentication failure errors are modified configuration settings and corrupted Internet cache built of the router and it increases the loading time. Also if the loading configuration data gets corrupted then it will block the modem from connecting with the internet.
- Loose Connection.
Some users face the gateway error if the wire connections of the internet router are loose or faulty. In this way, you can also get the gateway authentication error message.
- Outage Situations.
A complete or partial failure of Internet services is called an Outage or internet blackout. It can occur due to severe weather conditions, cybercrime, censorship, security service actions, blockade from the service provider, and many more.
Methods To Fix Gateway Authentication Failure
- Method 1- Check The Connection Cables & Ont Port
- Method 2- Perform A Power Cycle
- Method 3- Reset The Modem To Default Factory Settings
- Method 4- Check For An Outage
- Method 5- Troubleshoot Using The “Myat&T” App
- Method 6- Enable Dual-band On Your Router
- Method 7- Switching To Google DNS
Method 1- Check The Connection Cables & Ont Port
For some users, the “gateway authentication failure error” may occur due to loose wire or whether the Ethernet cable is connected to the right ONT Port. To solve this problem refer to the user guidelines and connect the required cables to the correct Ports.
Additionally, loose wire/cable connections may also cause this error. For this situation, you need to perform a thorough and careful check for all wire connections, battery unit status, surge protectors, and other equipment.
Method 2- Perform A Power Cycle
A Gateway authentication error occurs when the settings are modified or the built-up cache has become corrupt. To erase this corrupt data, you need to perform a power cycling process on your U-verse modem.
Step 1- Power OFF the modem and unplug the Power supply cord from the wall socket.
Step 2- Remove all Ethernet cables from the modem.
Step 3- Keep the modem idle for a few minutes.
Step 4- Plug in all cables that were removed earlier including the wall socket power cord and turn it ON.
Step 5- After the Power cycle process is done, connect to the network and check for any improvements.
Method 3- Reset The Modem To Default Factory Settings
A) Reset The Modem Through Browser-
- Open your web browser and type in the default gateway IP address. Also, you can input “192.168.1.254” in the address bar.
- You will find yourself on the login page of your modem. Fill in the login credentials and hit Enter.
- Navigate to Settings-> Diagnostic.
- Click on the Reset option and select the “Reset to factory default state” option.
- Wait for the reset to be complete and reconfigure itself, then check if the issue of Gateway authentication error still persists.
- Note- Type “cmd” in the Windows search bar. Input the command “ipconfig” and press Enter and you will get all the information of all network connections.
B) Reset The Modem Through Modem.
- Find the Reset button on the modem box. Press and hold the button for a few seconds. You need to use a small pin to press the reset button.
- When the modem light starts blinking, release the reset button.
- Make sure that the Router is turned on and re-establish a direct connection with the servers.
Method 4- Check For An Outage
Outage at AT&T’s end can be another possible reason and to fix the “Gateway authentication failure error” you need to check for a possible outage from the service provider. To do this you need to try the following steps.
Step 1- Open the page of MyATT.
Step 2- Login with your ID and Password.
Step 3- Under the Help with my service section, click on the Fix it now! Support tools option.
Step 4- An automatic test will be done to detect any issues with the Gateway.
Step 5- Next you need to follow the on-screen instructions and recommendations for any possible fixes.
Method 5- Troubleshoot Using The “MyAT&T” App
To solve the errors of the U-Verse modem, AT&T has launched a mobile app called myAT&T which helps customers solve various issues without contacting customer support. This application runs tests on your modem service and shows on-screen solutions that users can follow and fix most of the errors.
Method 6- Enable Dual-band On Your Router
Dual-Band routers simultaneously transmit two signals through 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. In this way, a dual-band performs better than a single-band router. To enable Dual-Band service on your router follow the given steps.
- Open your browser and enter the default gateway IP on the address bar. It will open the Router/Internet settings where you can see the current modem configurations.
- On the left side of the screen, click on the Wireless option, then select the Advanced option.
- Find the Band section and change its value to 5 GHz.
- Apply the changes made in the modem configurations and restart your router for the settings to take effect.
Method 7- Switching To Google DNS
Google DNS is a domain name server offered by Google to Internet users. If any of the above methods can’t resolve gateway authentication failure error, you can try seething to Google DNS server and check if the issue has been rectified or not.
- Open the Control Panel on your computer.
- Click on Network & Internet option in the Control Panel Home Page.
- Click on the Network & Sharing Center.
- Select Change adapter settings from the left side of the screen.
- Right-click on the Internet connection that you are using and select the Properties option.
- Now search & select the Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4) and click on the Properties option.
- Under the General tab, check the box corresponding to “Use the following DNS server address”.
- Input the following DNS address and click Ok.:
- Preferred DNS: 126.96.36.199
- Alternate DNS: 188.8.131.52
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does My Wifi Say Gateway Authentication Failure?
“Gateway authentication failure att” occurs due to modified settings, corrupt launch configurations, or the internet router built-up cache has been corrupted. Additionally, a faulty or loose cable connection can also lead to gateway error.
How Do I Fix My AT&T Gateway?
You can fix “gateway authentication failure att” through the following methods:
Check if the cables are connected to the correct ONT Port.
Performing a Power Cycling operation on your router.
Perform a hard reset on your modem router to restore the launch configurations.
Check for an Outage.
Troubleshooting using the “myAT&T” mobile app.
Enable Dual-Band mode on your router.
Switching to Google DNS server.
How Do I Replace My AT&T Gateway?
First, keep in mind all the cable arrangements of the old router, then transfer cable connections from the old router to the new router one by one following the guidelines in the user guide. Turn on the router and when all the status lights on the router turn solid green then the new AT&T Gateway is ready for use.
Where Is The Gateway Reset Button?
The Reset button is located right beside the power input on the bottom of the router. Press and hold the button for 10 seconds for the reset function to be triggered. All the status lights will be lit up and the color will be solid green if the gateway reset is successful.