Funimation is a popular anime streaming service where you can watch English dubbed Japanese anime among other East Asian animation content. But it’s super irritating if you play a video and it doesn’t load. If you are having issues loading Funimation on Chrome, your video is not playing at all, it’s showing the video playback error message, you can’t see the video controls, or it keeps buffering forever, use this guide to fix these problems.
Causes of Funimation Issues on Google Chrome and Other Browsers
- Internet connection problems
- Corrupt browser cookies and cache
- Old browser version
- Funimation is not allowed in your region
- VPN connection
- A Chrome extension interrupting the video playback
- Funimation server issues
- Strict privacy settings of the browser
Fixes for Funimation Not Working on Chrome for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
Before proceeding, let’s do the obvious and restart your computer or smartphone for a quick refresh of your device and try to load Funimation again. If the issue didn’t go away, apply the fixes below. The steps shown are for Windows and Mac, but many of these fixes apply to Android and iOS as well.
- Check Your Internet Connection/Use Another Connection
- Ensure That the Funimation Server is Online
- Disable Chrome Extensions to Fix Funimation Issues
- Clear Chrome Browser Data and Cache
- Update Your Web Browser
- Create a New Chrome Profile
- Update the Widevine Content Decryption Module on Chrome
- Disable Your VPN connection
- Update Your Computer or Mobile OS
- Disable Hardware Acceleration on Google Chrome
- Reinstall Chrome to Fix Funimation Player Not Working
- Use the Funimation App
- Switch to Another Browser
Fix 1: Check Your Internet Connection/Use Another Connection
Funimation is a content-rich website and the videos mostly play in HD quality. If the internet speed is not enough, it may not be able to load the video or the page correctly. This could be why you’re seeing the video playback error on Funimation or experiencing the Funimation not able to connect issue.
Check the devices connected to your network and disconnect that are not in use. Plus, stop any downloads or uploads and close all the opened tabs. You should also restart your router and then check your internet speed by downloading anything.
If the issue is not solved and you have multiple sources of internet, use another internet connection. For example, if you were using your Wi-Fi, access the internet from your phone via a hotspot.
Fix 2: Ensure That the Funimation Server is Online
What if we keep trying to figure out what’s wrong with our browser or internet, but later we find out that it was a problem with the Funimation server? So, if the video is not playing or Funimation is not loading altogether, Funimation may be offline. Check the status of Funimation:
- Go to Google search.
- Type ‘Is Funimation server down’.
- Open a few of the websites listed in new tabs.
- They will show the status if Funimation is online or offline.
- Note that some of them might show incorrect data. This is why open multiple of these sites so you can take the average.
Fix 3: Disable Chrome Extensions to Fix Funimation Issues
Extensions are useful to equip your browser with more features. But some extensions such as ad blockers can interfere with the data loading on a website and block it. This may cause video loading or playing issues. If you can’t load Funimation videos on your web browser, disable browser extensions.
Disable Extensions for Chrome and Edge
- Open your browser and click the three dots at the top right on Chrome and Edge.
- Click ‘Settings’
- Click ‘Extensions’ from the side panel.
- Toggle off all the extensions.
Turn Off Extensions on Opera
- Open Opera and click the menu button at the top left.
- Take the mouse cursor to ‘Extensions’ and then click ‘Extensions’ in the next small list.
- Use the toggle on and off to turn off the extensions.
Disable Add-ons on Mozilla Firefox
- Click the three horizontal lines on Firefox at the top right.
- Select ‘Add-ons and themes’.
- Click ‘Extensions’.
- Toggle off all the extensions.
Disable Extensions on Safari
- Click the ‘Safari’ menu and choose ‘Preferences’.
- Go to the ‘Extensions’ tab.
- Uncheck the boxes of all the extensions.
Fix 4: Clear Chrome Browser Data and Cache
Data saved in your browser is used to remember your logins, history, images, and preferences. If this data is corrupted, you may experience website and video loading errors. So, clear your browsing data and try again. This will permanently delete your browsing data including Funimation logins.
- On Chrome, click the three dots at the top right.
- Choose ‘Settings’.
- In the side panel, click ‘Security and Privacy’.
- Now select ‘Clear browsing data’.
- Choose ‘All time’ for ‘Time range’ and checkmark all the boxes.
- Click ‘Clear’.
Another easier method to clear browsing history is to press the CTRL + ALT + DEL buttons, checkmark the boxes, select ‘All time’ and clear the history. This keyboard shortcut works on almost all web browsers.
Fix 5: Update Your Web Browser (Chrome, Opera, Edge, Safari, Firefox)
Browsers update atomically but, in some cases, some sort of error may stop the regular update process. You won’t know that the browser is not up-to-date and it may be causing issues like Funimation video playback errors. So, update your browser manually.
- Click the three dots at the top right corner of Chrome.
- Take your mouse cursor to ‘Help’.
- It will open another small list. Click ‘About Chrome’.
- You will see the About Chrome window in settings and it will start looking for updates.
- Relaunch the browser after updating.
Fix 6: Create a New Chrome Profile
You won’t believe that some users’ Funimation services started working when they added another Chrome profile and opened the video from the new profile. It’s possible that some settings on your existing Chrome profile are changed and blocking Funimation videos. Below are the steps to add a new profile to Chrome.
- Click your profile picture on Chrome alongside the three dots and choose ‘Add’.
- You will see two options: create a profile by signing in to another Gmail account or without signing in.
- If you sign in, it will automatically fill in your name, picture, and other info. For the without a sign in option, you need to enter your name and click ‘Done’.
Fix 7: Update the Widevine Content Decryption Module on Chrome
Widevine Content Decryption Module on Chrome allows you to play HTML5 audios and videos. If you can’t play videos on your browser, consider updating Widevine Content Decryption Module.
- On Chrome, type or paste
chrome://components/into the address bar and enter.
- Scroll down to find ‘Widevine Content Decryption Module’ and click ‘Check for update’.
- Once updated, retry. If you see ‘Component not updated’, move to the next fix.
Fix 8: Disable Your VPN connection
In case you’re using a VPN to open Funimation and experiencing playback errors, disable it and try again. This is because your VPN connection may be slow or its IP address is blocked by Funimation leading to video loading issues.
Fix 9: Update Your Computer or Mobile OS
Your operating system or any driver may be outdated causing the Funimation error. Check for updates on your OS.
- On Windows, click Start and type ‘Update’ and select ‘Check for updates’
- Windows Update will open in Settings. Click ‘Check for updates’.
Fix 10: Disable Hardware Acceleration on Google Chrome
The hardware acceleration feature on Chrome allows web apps to use components of your system for a smooth experience. But this feature might cause errors if the computer is on the lower side with respect to specifications. In any case, if you can’t load Funimation, disable hardware acceleration on Chrome.
- Click the three dots at the top right and choose ‘Settings’.
- On the sidebar, click ‘Advanced’ to open a small list under it. Click ‘System’.
- Toggle off hardware acceleration.
Fix 11: Reinstall Chrome to Fix Funimation Player Not Working
As you use your web browser, many temporary files are saved. These files sometimes get corrupted and interrupt the normal functioning of the web browser like playing Funimation videos. If you updated the browser and cleared browsing data but Funimation videos are still not playing, reinstall your browser. On Android, you may not be able to uninstall Chrome, so try Fix 12 and 13 instead.
- On Windows, click Start and go to Settings.
- Select ‘Apps’.
- Find your browser and uninstall it.
- Now go to the browser’s website. Download and install the browser.
Fix 12: Use the Funimation App
Apps and desktop programs are specially designed by their respective companies for the best performance. Moreover, they frequently roll out updates for fixes and enhancements. If Chrome is not loading Funimation, use the Funimation app that is available for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Fix 13: Switch to Another Browser
Browsers with strict privacy and security rules block unnecessary scripts and activities. It’s possible that your browser is not allowing Funimation to play videos due to this reason. You may love your current browser, but if you’ve tried the above fixes to no avail, you need to use another browser. You can try Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or Edge.
Video playback issues on Funimation are frustrating but, with this guide, you can fix the problems and begin watching your favorite anime.
Why Can’t I Watch Certain Shows On Funimation?
For free users, only limited shows and episodes are available. However, if you’re on a premium Funimation account and can’t watch certain shows, then it’s due to territory rights restrictions or Funimation’s license for playing that show expired.
Why Is Funimation Not Loading?
Causes of Funimation not loading and video playback problems are:
– Internet connection issues
– Region blocked by Funimation
– Web browser bugs
– VPN connection interruptions
– Outdated operating system
– Web browser extension blocking the video
Why Does Funimation Keep Saying I Don’t Have Premium?
1. There may be server or website issues
2. You’re using an incognito window
3. You logged in using another account
4. Your premium subscription has expired
Which Anime Site Is Better Crunchyroll Or Funimation?
Both are the leaders in anime streaming for America and some other countries. Crunchyroll has a bigger collection of anime than Funimation. But on the other hand, Funimation provides English dubbing for shows and offline experience.