Sony’s PlayStation 4 (PS4) is one of the sleekest gaming consoles that were released on the market. Over 100 million units have been purchased by console gaming fans all over the world. It is known for its powerful performance, stylish appearance, and comfort & convenience offered by the PS4 controller.
The controller can be annoying at times, when the light bar on it, keeps blinking white. Everyone with a PS4 has been there but not many know what to do, here. We have got you covered.
Why is my PS4 Controller light bar flashing White?
If you see your PS4 controller flashing white light, you have to understand that you are not dealing with a serious issue but a simple connectivity problem or low battery problem. This is a very usual event so there are no reasons for you to worry.
There are a couple of reasons why you see your PS4 controller flashing white light through the light bar:
- The PS4 Controller has a low battery and needs to be charged.
- The PS4 Controller is not able to connect with the PS4 console, after trying to connect with it.
Methods to fix the PS4 Controller Flashing White light issue
This article is about how you can fix the PS4 controller flashing white error when you are not able to connect the controller to the console. Before you follow the procedures below, you have to consider the possibility of blinking white lights caused by a low battery. Check the charge on your controller and connect the controller to a charger. If this does not stop the blinking, try the following methods.
- Take a look at your PS4 controller
- Troubleshoot the flashing lights
- Reset your PS4 analog controller
- Reset the PS4 controller connections
- Update the PS4 & Controller driver
- Install the PS4 driver again in Windows OS
- Launch the PS4 in safe mode
- Use a Micro USB cable
- Try this quick trick to fix PS4 flashing white
- Try a different controller
What should you do when the PS4 controller flashes white?
Solution 1 – Take a look at your PS4 controller
Hardware issues can cause the blinking white lights issue. There are chances that your controller has taken damage from mishandling, improper care or they just become old. If the mechanism inside is damaged, you may not able to connect with the console or charge the controller.
You can see if the cables are connected properly. If they are not, remove and reconnect the controller. When you turn it on, you should not be able to see the blinking lights. This is the way to troubleshoot your PS4 controller.
Solution 2 – Reset your PS4 analog controller
Resetting the controller is the solution to many PS4 controller-related issues. You can fix problems like the blinking light issue, Bluetooth connectivity errors, syncing issues, and more.
To reset PS4 controller configuration, this is what you have to do:
- Switch off the PlayStation 4.
- Turn your controller around and find the tiny hole, inside which you can find the Reset button. You’ll find the reset button on your controller near the L2 shoulder button
- Use a thin object with a small point, like a pin, toothpick, or a straightened paper clip, and push it into the hole to press the reset button.
- Hold it in there for a few seconds and remove the small pin from the hole.
- You will have to pair the controller with the console again, with the USB cable, once you reset the computer.
- Turn your PS4 and push the PS4 button.
Solution 3 – Update the PS4 device and driver by reinstalling it on a Windows computer
It is possible to fix the PS4 controller by updating the PS4 device and driver through a computer. Like any other driver, the PS4 driver can also become damaged or outdated and cause the When you connect the computer and the PS4 controller, the console is detected as a device on the computer. This way you can update it like you would update any other driver on your system.
These are the steps to update the PS4 controller through Windows:
- Open the Run tool, by pressing the Windows key and the R key, and execute this command:
- This is the command for the Device Manager window. Locate your PS4 from the large list of drivers.
- Right-click on the PS4 controller device and select Uninstall device from the context menu.
- In the confirmation dialog box, check the Delete the driver software for this device option and click on the Uninstall button.
- Disconnect the PS4 controller device and restart the computer.
- Download the latest update from the controller manufacturer’s drivers. For PS4’s exclusive DualShock 4 controllers, you can get it from Sony PlayStation’s support website.
- Connect the PS4 controller to the computer to finish installing the driver.
Take a look at the controller after these steps, to see if the blinking lights have stopped working. If you cannot find the driver for the new device, try reconnecting it and refreshing the computer.
Solution 4 – Launch the PS4 in safe mode
If you did not know earlier, PlayStation 4 has a safe mode to upgrade software and manage databases. If your controller is flashing or not working, you can launch the PS4 into safe mode. Before you start on this, you need to know that you will lose the existing configuration. Save everything you need to before starting this.
This is the procedure to enter the safe mode:
- Turn your PS4 off. Press the power button in the console’s front panel and the indicator will blink a few times.
- Press and hold the power button, for about 7 seconds, till you hear two beeps. You’ll hear the first beep when you press the power button for the first time and the second beep after the 7 seconds.
- Use a USB cable to connect the original controller with the help of a USB cable and this will launch you into the PS4 safe mode.
- Select the Rebuild Database option to clear the existing database and make a new one.
Solution 5 – Use a Micro USB power cable
USB cables can be used to jumpstart the Bluetooth connection. We provide a wired connection with the USB cable and then use it to connect to the system through Bluetooth.
- Put the PS4 in sleep mode, after switching it off.
- Remove all the power cables from the console.
- Drain the charge in the PS4 by pressing the power button on the console.
- Then, use a USB cable to join the controller with the console.
- Boot up the PS4 and press any key on the controller.
The controller should be detected.
Another method to overcome the white flashes issue is by pressing the PS button and the Share button on your controller together. This is not a traditional way to reset the controller but a lot of people have reported that this works.
You just have to press the PS button and the Share button on your controller together, simultaneously, and wait till the PS4 turns on. After this, this problem should be fixed and you should be able to connect to the console, normally.
Solution 7 – Try changing the configuration with another controller
PS4 users can use a spare controller instead of the controller that is flashing white. There is also an option where they can use a different controller to change some settings that will stop the blinking lights issue.
Before you start fixing the controller this way, you have to connect the spare controller to the PS4 and use it to get the blinking one functioning. These are the steps to fix this issue with a working controller:
- Go to the PS4 Settings.
- Open the Devices settings and select Bluetooth devices. Only the spare controller will be present in this window.
- Pick up the blinking controller and press the PS and Share button and hold it till you see the light bar flash twice each second.
- Choose the dysfunctional controller, with the different controller. This will trigger an attempt to reconnect the blinking controller.
- Select Yes, in the prompt.
If you see that the blinking has stopped, your problem is solved.
If all the above methods do not work, then it is time for you to get professional support or a new controller.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my PS4 controller flashing white?
The light bar on your PS4 controller blinks white because of two reasons: when you are low on battery or the controller is not able to connect with the PS4. This is a very common issue until the flashing begins.
What is the white light of death on PS4?
The White Light of Death or the WLOD is a PlayStation 4 issue where PS4 users can not see any form of media on the screen, except for an unchanging white screen. The WLOD is caused by a damaged HDMI slot or motherboard errors.
Why is my PS4 controller not connecting?
Some connectivity issues can prevent the controller from being connected to the PS4 console. This can be fixed by using a small pin to poke in the small hole on the back of the DualShock 4 controller & press and hold the reset button down to reset PS4 controller configurations.
What do PS4 controller lights mean?
The lights on your controller are used to indicate players in-game. For user reference, P1 is blue, P2 is red, P3 is green and P4 is pink. If you see white lights, it could either mean a low battery or a disconnected controller.