Discord is the favorite social media platform of many users, gamers, and streamers. Like other social media apps, you can directly chat with people and add them as friends. To find people, you use their username and number. But how to find someone on Discord without a number? Keep reading to learn.
What is a Discord Tag Number?
How to find someone on Discord without number? Most platforms only allow a username if it’s unique. So, if one user has already signed up with the username (for example, Mindy), another person can’t use it.
But Discord allows you to create any name for yourself, even if it’s been used by other users. But how does it keep usernames unique? By adding a tag number to the username.
When you sign up on Discord, you are prompted to create a username for yourself.
After completing the process, you are given a unique four-digit tag number with the username to create a unique ID or number. This is used to find people on Discord.
An example of a Discord username and tag number is Mindy#7297.
Here Mindy is the username the person created while signing up. The hashtag is used for all accounts and will be found in every Discord tag number.
The four-digit number is unique for every user, and it’s assigned automatically by Discord. You can’t select or change it.
You can see your Discord username and tag number at the bottom of the desktop application. To see your name on the Discord mobile app, tap your avatar at the bottom left corner.
To find people on Discord, you should have the username and tag number to easily find the person you’re looking for. Moreover, keep in mind that the usernames on Discord are case-sensitive. So, if you’re finding Mindy#7297, you might not be successful if you type mindy#7297.
How to Find People on Discord Without Their Tag Number on iPhone, iPad, and Android Devices?
- Scan for Nearby Devices
- Find Discord Users from Your Contacts
- Look for the Person in Mutual Discord Servers
- Use the Search Feature to Find Someone on Discord
- Find the Discord ID of Your Profile, And Any Chat, User, & Server
1. Scan for Nearby Devices
If the person you’re trying to find is near you, you can use the Nearby Scan feature on Discord to find them.
It uses location, WiFi, and Bluetooth to find people within your 30-fee or 10-meter radius.
- On the Discord mobile app, tap the Friends tab (a person waving a hand icon) at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the add friend button (a person with a + on it) at the top right corner of the screen.
- Switch to the Nearby Scan tab.
- Your mobile will ask permission to use Bluetooth and your phone’s location features to find other devices. Select ‘Allow’.
- It’ll begin searching for people near you. Make sure that the person you’re searching for is also searching by using the same steps.
- Once you find the Discord user, open their profile, and send them a friend request.
The drawback of this method is that it is only useful if the person you’re trying to find is within 30 feet or 10 meters of your location and has also enabled the same option. If searching for people far from you, use other methods in this list.
2. Find Discord Users from Your Contacts
If you already have the phone number of the person you’re searching for on Discord, you can allow Discord to access your contacts and find the person.
For this, you need to verify your Discord account with a phone number if you haven’t done it in the past. Moreover, you can only find your contacts that have made themselves discoverable through their phone number to their contacts. Use these simple steps:
- Launch the Discord app.
- Tap the icon of a person waving a hand at the bottom of the screen. It is the friend list button.
- On the top right of the screen, tap the icon with a mobile phone with a + on it.
- This will show you info about the feature. Choose ‘Get Started.’ Ensure the ‘Allow contacts to add me’ option is marked.
- Enter your phone number and verify it by entering the confirmation code that you receive on your phone.
- Now, the Discord app will ask for permission to access your Contacts. Allow it.
- When the sync is complete, you can find people in your contacts list that are using Discord. Open their profile and send them a friend request.
When you verify your number with Discord, other people that have your number in their phone’s contacts can also find your Discord account and send you a request.
3. Look for the Person in Mutual Discord Servers
If you come across the person you’re trying to find on a Discord server; you can search the Discord server again for that individual. If you chat together, you can go to the chats and find them.
But if you found them on the server and never chatted, browse the Discord server you spot them on and try to find them.
- Open the Discord mobile app.
- Go to the Discord server you discovered the person on.
- Navigate to the correct channel.
- Browse the chat or tap the icon of two people at the top right corner to see the list of people in the channel.
- Browse the list and tap the name of the person upon finding them.
- This will open the Discord profile. You will be able to see the username and tag number. However, you wouldn’t need it if you want to send them a friend request.
- Because there is a friend request button that you can press to proceed with the request.
4. Use the Search Feature to Find Someone on Discord
This method is similar to the shared servers method. By using the search feature on the Discord app, you can find people by typing their usernames.
If you share a server, their names will be visible in the results.
This is a faster method for finding someone on a server you’re also on. But you must remember the first few letters of their username to be able to find them.
- Launch the Discord app.
- Tap the search icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Write @ and type the first few letters of the person you’re searching for.
- If they share a server with you, their name will be in the results below the search.
- Tap their profile and note their username and tag or send them a friend request from their profile.
5. Find the Discord ID of Your Profile, And Any Chat, User, & Server
In the earlier part of the guide, we mentioned that you need the username and the four-digit unique number to find people on Discord. But there is another 18-digit ID that is used to identify every user, chat, and server.
Finding this ID doesn’t have any benefits, but if you want to know it, follow the steps below on your mobile devices:
- Open the Discord app.
- Tap your profile picture at the bottom right of the screen.
- On the Discord settings, go to ‘Behavior’ if you’re on an Android device. In case you have an iOS device, select ‘Appearance.’
- Turn on ‘Developer Mode.’
To find the 18-Digit Discord ID of a user, use these steps:
- Go to the profile of the user.
- Tap the three dots to the right corner.
- Choose the Copy ID option.
- Paste it into a file and save it.
Similarly, for finding the Discord ID of a server/channel ID.
- Open the Discord server.
- Tap the three dots next to the server’s name and choose ‘Copy ID.’
How To Find Someone on Discord Without Number on Windows and Mac Computers?
You can’t use the nearby user’s feature and find users from your phone contact list on the Discord desktop client.
But there are some similar methods to the mobile app that works on the Discord application and web version. Follow below:
- Find the Person in Common or Shared Servers
- Use the Search Feature
- Browse Group Chats
- Find the Discord ID of Any User, Chat, or Server
If you and the person you’re searching for are on the same server, you can easily find them by browsing the server.
- Open the Discord desktop application or visit Discord on your web browser.
- Go to the server which you know that your target user has joined.
- Select the channel.
- Browse the chat or scroll down the member list at the right end of the screen.
- If you find the person, click the username.
- This will open the profile card of the user. Send them a friend request from there or copy the person’s username.
- Go to Home by pressing the Discord icon at the top left of the screen.
- Paste the username and tag number and press enter.
- A friend request will be sent to the user.
2. Use the Search Feature
Finding someone by browsing servers is difficult. There is a faster method to do the same by typing their username in the search box that’s on the home screen. But for this method, you must know the first few letters of their name.
Moreover, you and your target user must be on the same server. Follow below:
- Click the Find or start a conversation box at the top of the home screen on the Discord desktop app or web.
- Write @ and type the first few letters of the user you want to find. They must have joined a server that you’re also in.
- You’ll find some search results. Click the user and add them or note their Discord user ID and add them by going to the add friend section.
3. Browse Group Chats
You can find people you group chat with even when they are not added as your friends on Discord.
So, if you remember that you and the target user were in a group chat together, you can find them with these steps:
- On the Discord desktop app, click the ‘+’ button next to ‘Direct Messages.’
- You’ll see the name of the users who you chatted with. Find the person you want to add and note their username and tag number.
- Add them by going to the add friend section of Discord.
4. Find the Discord ID of Any User, Chat, or Server
Discord ID is different from the tag number. It consists of 18 digits. Discord users don’t need it as it’s used by Discord for keeping logs and other purposes.
If you want to know the unique 18-digit Discord ID of any user, server, or chat, it’s in the advanced settings. Follow below:
- On the Discord application, go to user settings by clicking the gear icon at the bottom next to your username.
- From the left pane, choose ‘Advanced.’
- Turn on the button for ‘Developer Mode.
Once enabled, you can find the Discord ID of chats, servers, and users.
- For finding the Discord ID or any Discord user, find the user in chat or go to their profile, right-click their profile picture, and choose ‘Copy ID.’ You can also follow the same steps to find the Discord ID of your profile.
- To see the Discord ID of a message, right-click the message and select ‘Copy ID.’
- To find out the Discord ID of a server, locate the server from the lists of servers at the left end, right-click its icon, and pick ‘Copy ID.
Finding someone on Discord without their tag number is difficult, but you can use the methods above to try finding them.
If you can’t, connect with a mutual friend or keep browsing servers you think they may have joined.