Most of the solutions we offer as a last resort are to reset the devices. As much as we hate doing it, sometimes, this is the only solution that will remove certain issues from the computers. Though we lose all our files, the reset feature is a blessing in disguise. Users can easily make their PC or laptop to factory reset without many complications.
To prove this, we collected a set of standard and brand-based procedures to reset your PC or laptop to factory reset. Though this may seem like a complex and scary process, it really isn’t. Check the article below to learn how to factory reset your laptop to get a fresh, new start.
Reasons to Factory reset Your Laptop
While you are pondering the reason why you have to send your laptop back to its factory settings, take a look at the benefits below.
Clean Installation of the OS
When a computer is reset, the main event that takes place is that the installed OS is removed and installed again. This is useful if you are trying to remove OS-related issues from your computer. All corrupt system files are removed along with the OS and replaced with fresh, functional files.
Removes Major Issues
Smart devices, like computers, have the risk of being infected by a computer virus. If the virus cannot be removed by normal solutions or an antivirus, a reset of your system can come in handy. The same can be applied to remove major bugs and glitches in the system.
Clears unwanted data in one go
If you are selling, disposing or giving your laptop away, it is a must to reset the device. This will remove all traces of your personal files. It also saves time that you spend on deleting the files, manually. Work that takes hours to finish can be deleted within a few minutes with a reset.
Sets the configurations back to default
In some cases, the system settings can get changed by an application or by users without awareness. It might be impossible to navigate to complex directories and reset them. Here, it would be easier to reset the device without removing the data.
Improves Laptop processing speed
Resetting your laptop can fix performance-related issues in it. Unlike a desktop with similar specifications, a laptop is not equivalent to it, in performance. Resetting the device can bring optimal settings back by removing obstacles to peak performance.
Things To Know Before You Reset The PC
Before we start resetting computers, it is necessary for us to know a few things before we get into it.
- It is important to make a backup of all your files before you reset your PC. A USB or cloud storage unit is recommended for this.
- With every reset, all system files are removed and reinstalled. This is very useful when it comes to removing file corruption and threats.
- Users will have to set their computers up again after a reset process.
- In case of troubleshooting a computer, only reset the PC as the last option. You will not have to undergo a long waiting process and lost data.
- If you are resetting the device to improve system performance, it is crucial to make sure that the hardware is in good condition. If the low performance is because of hardware failure, there may not be much difference.
- If not careful, the users can lose a lot of data.
- It is recommended to reset the device once every six months. Doing it frequently can cause irreparable damage to the device’s CPU, battery, and hard disk.
- Incorrect resetting or the use of a third-party application for this process can put you in a boot loop.
- Though it might seem like a boot loop, it is common for the reset process to boot your system a few times to save changes.
- Make sure to note down the activation keys of the applications you have installed before you reset the device.
The Standard Windows Reset Procedure
Every laptop powered by the Windows OS has a general procedure that will reset your PC for you. This is the standard method to remove and reinstall the Windows Operating System on your computer. Use the steps below to reset your laptops on Windows 8.1, 10, and 11.
Refreshing the PC on Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 has an alternative where you do not have to lose your files to reset the system. Users with this OS version can refresh their computers.
- Swipe your screen from the right to the center of the screen.
- Choose the Settings option and select Change PC settings.
- Click on the Update and Recovery option.
- Now, select Recovery and navigate to the Refresh your PC without affecting your files section.
- Click on Get Started and follow the on-screen instructions to complete this procedure.
Resetting Windows 8.1
- Open Windows Settings and select Change PC settings.
- Move to the Update and Recovery section and choose Recovery.
- Find the Remove everything and Reinstall Windows section.
- Click on the Get Started button here. Use the instructions in the Reset wizard to proceed.
Resetting Windows 10
- Launch the Settings window, first. You can use the Start menu or press the Windows and I keys together to open this window.
- Move to the Update & Security settings.
- Look for the Recovery option and proceed to it.
- Find the Reset this PC section and click on the Get Started section.
- From the window that appears, you will have to choose between keeping and deleting your files.
Resetting Windows 11
- Bring up the Settings window.
- From the left panel, choose the System tab.
- Click on the Recovery sub-settings.
- Select the Reset PC option, under the Recovery options section.
- Use the Reset PC wizard to proceed.
Advanced Startup Method
Using Advanced Startup is another standard procedure that can be used, irrespective of the system versions.
- Search for the Reset this PC option on your system.
- Choose the best search result. This will open the Recovery page in Settings.
- Select Get Started under the Reset this PC section.
- In the window that appears, click on Remove everything.
- Click on the Change settings link.
- Toggle the necessary switches on or off, on the following page.
- Click Next and if you haven’t connected the charger to your laptop, make sure the device is charging.
- Select Reset to prompt the OS reinstallation.
If you wish to use the Windows Recovery Environment, check the method below –
- Ensure that the charger is connected to your laptop at all times during the process. A reset process cannot progress when the system is running on battery power.
- Restart your laptop thrice and interrupt all of them by pressing the power button.
- When you see the Choose an option screen, choose Troubleshoot.
- On the second page, select Reset this PC.
- Choose to Remove everything from the computer.
- You can, then, opt to install the OS again through the OneDrive cloud or locally. Use the Cloud download option when the system cannot download the OS locally.
- Choose between removing just the files or erasing the Drives on your system.
- Finally, click on Reset to remove all the files and reinstall the Windows OS.
How To Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop?
Lenovo has a unique recovery tool, exclusively, for their devices. This method is known as the One Key Recovery (OKR). Users with Lenovo laptops can only use this because their devices have the Novo button. The procedure is longer than the standard one so buckle up.
- Switch your PC off and wait for all the lights to go off.
- Then, push the Novo button. This could be located on the side of the laptop or near the power button depending on the model.
- This will boot your PC up into Recovery mode. From the main page, navigate to the System Recovery option with your arrow keys.
- Hit the Enter key. In a few seconds, you will be able to see the OneKey Recovery screen.
- Here, you can either use the initial backup option or use a new backup image stored in a USB storage drive.
- Insert this USB drive into your PC and select Restore from user’s backup.
- Expand the Select source image menu and choose the hard disk partition with the image backup. For users with no available backup, you can choose the Default option.
- Select the Next option and wait till you have to start restoring.
- Click on the Start option to begin the reset process. Make sure that a backup is available before you do so.
How To Factory Reset Dell Laptop?
If you are looking to reset your Dell laptop, the official website and customer support offer eight different methods. Since we are discussing methods unique to Dell devices, we got the steps to reinstall the OS to the Dell factory image.
It is important to understand that this procedure requires a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 32 GB storage –
- Use the search bar (Windows + S) to search for ‘reset’.
- Choose the Reset this PC (System Setting) option.
- Locate the Advanced Startup section and under it, click on the Restart Now option.
- When the system reboots into the Advanced Startup page, choose the Troubleshoot tile.
- Click on the Factory Image Restore option.
- Use the instructions on the screen to finish the reset process.
Another easy way to access the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) page is to interrupt the PC’s boot process thrice. This is the page with your Advanced Startup settings.
How To Factory Reset Acer Laptop?
Acer has an interface to manage system activity. This is the Acer care center tool. This tool is an all-in-one package as you can make backups, change configurations and reset your device in a single interface. There are several recommendations to use this program to reset specific attributes of the system and OS as well.
This is how you can use the Acer Care Center to reset your PC –
- Search for Recovery in the Start menu.
- Click on the Acer Recovery Management application.
- When the Acer Care Center app launches, move to the Recovery Management tab on the left panel.
- On this page, click on the Get Started button adjacent to the Reset your PC option.
- Choose the Remove everything button in the pop-up that appears.
- Select Remove files and clean the drive on the next page. You can also choose to remove only the files if you have a shorter waiting time.
- Confirm the changes by clicking on the Reset button.
How To Factory Reset ASUS Laptop?
ASUS laptops do not have a unique method to reset the computers. You will have to use the standard method to remove and reinstall the Windows OS.
How To Factory Reset Apple Laptop?
MacBooks are a lot different from Windows laptops as they are powered by macOS. This means that the procedures and interfaces involved in resetting the machine are different. However, the outcomes of a reset process are the same for all devices. The user will still get all the stored information cleared and a clean version of the existing OS installed.
Since we could be using either the macOS Ventura or Monterey, steps to reset both are given below –
- Open the Apple menu and go into the System Settings option.
- Select General from the panel on the side.
- From the options on the right, choose Transfer or Reset.
- Finally, select Erase all Content and Settings to begin the Reset process.
It is even easier to reset your MacOS Monterey.
- Select the System Preferences option from the Apple Menu.
- From the Menu bar in this window, click on the Erase All Content and Settings option.
Once you cross this threshold, you will be shown a window to reset the device completely.
- Login in using your profile username and passcode.
- Make a backup of your information through the Time Machine backup option. If you choose to proceed without a backup, click on the Continue button.
- Click on Continue again to confirm that you want to reset the OS and all other attributes listed.
- Log out of the Apple ID and choose the Continue button.
- In the pop-up, click on Erase All Content & Settings to confirm this.
- Wait for the process to end. The user will be asked to connect a mouse or keyboard to use during the initialization process.
- Select the system language and connect to a wireless network.
- Once the Mac launches, select the Restart option.
- When the Reboot is complete, you will be guided to set your Mac laptop up.
Apart from this option, you can also remove just the files available on your Mac. Erasing a Mac is available for only Intel Macs and Macs with the Apple Chipset.
How To Factory Reset Chromebook?
Resetting the Chromebook back to factory settings is very simple. Unlike other devices, the Chromebook retains diagnostic information even after a reset.
- Log out of your running Chromebook profile.
- Push the Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R keys together, on your keyboard and hold.
- Click on the Restart option.
- Choose the Powerwash option and select Continue.
- Use the on-screen instructions to reset the device.
- Log into your Google account once the reset is complete. There are also on-screen instructions to set your Chromebook back up again.
Note: Make sure you use your primary account to log in during setup. This will be the main account that manages your Chromebook.
These are the different methods to reset different laptop models. For further queries, you can contact the respective brand’s customer support. Happy Browsing!