Amazon Echo Dot serves all the functionalities, including voice assistant or even just a smart speaker. However, along with its numerous features, Amazon Echo Dot might often have some issues users face.
Even though there are several ways to fix the issues with regard to the glitches or the bugs, one of the easiest ways to do so is by a complete factory reset.
Additionally, if you would also want to give your Amazon Echo Dot to someone else but have a lot of personal data or other personalized settings, you can easily remove all of them by resetting your Amazon Echo Dot. How to reset amazon echo dot?
Another important thing to keep in mind is that there may be times when one particular process of resetting might not work. This could be because of the different versions or generations of your Amazon Echo Dot. So we will be focusing on how to perform a factory reset amazon echo dot on all the generations.
Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot through Alexa
One of the easiest ways to reset your Amazon Echo Dot is through the Alexa application. You can follow these steps to reset the application if you have already installed it on your phone.
- Launch the Alexa application either on your Android or iPhone.
- Go to Devices and select Echo and Alexa.
- You will have to select the Echo that you would want to reset.
- Click on it and then select Factory Reset from the options.
You will have to confirm this, and then your Amazon Echo Dot will be reset. If you are doing this to resolve a certain issue, you will have to keep in mind that all the personalized settings and other data will be removed.
However, if you have reset your Amazon Echo Dot to remove all the data, then this process will do that right away. It is considered one of the easiest ways to wipe all the data and the personalized settings as well.
How to Factory Reset Amazon Echo Dot
- Amazon Echo Dot (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Generation)
- Amazon Echo Dot ( 2nd, 3rd, 4th Generation)
- Amazon Echo Show 5,8,10,15 and Echo Spot
- Amazon Echo Sub
1. Amazon Echo Dot (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Generation)
Before you factory reset Amazon Echo Dot, you need to determine what version or generation it is. This will make it easier to go through the process and reset it accordingly. There are several ways that you can reset the device based on the generation; you can go through the steps to reset it.
- If you have the 1st generation Amazon Echo Dot, you can use a small paper clip or something that is small to press the Reset button. You will have to long-press the button until the light ring disappears and appears again.
- As for the 2nd generation Amazon Echo Dot, you will have to long-press both the Volume Down and the Microphone off button at the same time. You will have to do this and only let go after the light ring turns orange. This process generally only takes 20 seconds.
- To reset the 3rd Gen Echo Dot or 4th Gen Echo Dot, long-press the action button for at least 20 seconds. Initially, the light ring will turn orange, which means it is being switched off. After that, it will go blue and then orange again when it comes back.
These are the steps required to reset your Amazon Echo Dot depending on its Generation.
2. Amazon Echo Dot (2nd, 3rd, 4th Generation)
If you have an Amazon Echo Dot, which is either of the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generations, you can go through these steps.
- If you want to reset the 2nd generation Amazon Echo Dot, you will have to long-press both the Volume Down buttons and Microphone off buttons at the same time. You can let go after the light ring turns orange.
- For the Amazon Echo Dot 4th and third-gen echo dot, you will have to long-press the Action button on the device for about 20 seconds. You will be able to navigate the button at the top panel.
3. Amazon Echo Show 5,8,10,15 and Echo Spot
The process of resetting an Amazon Echo Show and Echo Spot is slightly different from that Echo Dot. Through the steps mentioned below, you will also be able to reset the connections with respect to the Zigbee chip.
If you want to reset the Amazon Echo Show, which is of the second generation,
- You can either swipe down from the top of the screen and select Settings. However, you can also say, “Alexa, go to settings”.
- You will have to select Device options Settings and Reset to Factory Defaults.
- However, you will have to make sure that you retain the Smart Home Device Connections as well.
You can follow these steps to reset either Echo Show 8,5 or 10.
The process of resetting the Echo Spot or the first-generation Echo Show is also very similar. You can either swipe down on your screen or go to settings. You will have to select Device settings and click on Reset to Factory Defaults.
As for Echo Show, you can also long-press both the Volume Down and the mute buttons until the Amazon logo is on display. This process generally takes around 15 seconds.
4. Amazon Echo Sub
To reset your Amazon Echo Sub, you will be able to sync with your Echo or Echo Plus. You can follow these steps.
- You will have to hold and press Action to reset the Echo Sub; this is above the power cord. You can press it for 20 seconds.
Your Amazon Echo Sub will be reset as soon as you do this, and the default settings will also be restored. You will also have to log in to your Amazon account again, as everything will be reset to the default settings.
Resetting your Amazon Echo Dot will allow you to resolve several issues. Sometimes users complain about their Amazon Echo Dot freezing or not responding at all. Hence, if you cannot find the root cause of the issue, you can always try resetting the entire system.
However, keep in mind that resetting it will also wipe out everything that you have stored in your Amazon Echo Dot. These include previously saved wifi connections, audio settings, and many more.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To Reset Amazon Echo Dot?
There are several ways that you can reset your Amazon Echo Dot. Depending on the generation, you will have to go through different steps. A majority of the time, you can reset through the devices button or through the Alexa app either from your android smartphone or ios.
Can I Reset Amazon Echo Without The App?
Even though resetting Amazon Echo with the Alexa application is very easy. Different generations echo device can be reset in several ways. A majority of the time, you can long-press the volume down and microphone off buttons. This process works for the second-generation Echo.
How Do I Force Reset Amazon Echo?
You will have to unplug your power adapter and hold the action button for 10 seconds which will deregister all the data and the default factory settings will also be restored. Depending on the generation or type of device, you can also reset the device through the echo speaker.