Windows Update Error Code 80070103, also referred to as 0x80070103 is one of the common update errors that occurs in Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. So what is/are the reasons that cause this particular error?
Are there any solutions to remedy this error? Or what precautions should be taken so that error code 80070103 can be avoided?
This article will provide answers to each of these above-mentioned queries. Keep reading to know more about the Windows Update Error Code 80070103.
What Causes The Windows Update Error Code 80070123?
The Error Code 80070103 occurs when you try to update device drivers via the Windows Update service. Now when an update process is unsuccessful it will notify you with an error code and message.
This message is different for different versions of the Windows Operating System. For example, “Error(s) found: Code 80070103 Windows Update ran into a problem”, “Error(s) found: Code 80070103 Windows Update encountered an unknown error” or “Windows could not search for new updates. An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer”.
However, this particular Update Error doesn’t affect the operation of the Operating System. As it was mentioned earlier that device drivers are solely responsible for this error. Now there are some common situations or cases for which you might face this error.
For example, your Windows Update service installed a device Driver update that is low incompatibility with the machine or the installed driver update isn’t mentioned for your model of the device, etc.
How To Avoid Error Code 80070103 In The Future?
Now that you know the basic details about the 0x80070103 error code, let’s proceed to acquire knowledge about how to avoid error code 80070103 in the future.
But before that, you need to make sure that your system is suffering from this particular Error Code and not any other Windows Update error code. You can easily know the details of the error that haunts your computer in the Windows Update Tab. Also, you can follow the given steps.
For Windows 10 Operating System:
- Open the Windows Settings App.
- Click on the Update & Security option.
- Left-click on the Windows Update option located on the left pane.
Here you can find records and view installed update history including the successful as well as the failed update installations.
For Windows 7/8/8.1 Operating Systems:
- Open the Control Panel on your PC.
- Navigate to System & Security->Windows Update.
- Click on the “View Update history” option on the left pane.
Figure Out What The Specific Driver Causes The Error Code 80070103
Following the given step-by-step instructions you can pinpoint the driver of the version of the update that is responsible for causing the 0x80070103 Error on your computer.
1. Open the Start Menu and enter Windows Update into the search box.
2. Click on the Windows Update option found on the search result.
3. Or you can open the Control Panel and navigate to System and Security-> Windows Update.
4. Now click on the “View update history” option located on the left pane.
Here you can see the entire update history of your computer and find the Update session whose status is shown as “Failed” as is shown in the given image.
Solutions To Fix The Windows Error Code 80070103
Here’s a list of possible solutions that can fix the 80070103 error on your PC:
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Update Device Drivers Manually
- Remove Problematic Drivers
- Hide The Windows Update
- Rename Softwaredistribution Folder
- Run The SFC Command
- Check For Virus/Malware
Solution 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If there is any problem with regards to Windows Update, then the troubleshooter will automatically detect and start fixing it. Restart your system after the Troubleshooter completes its function.
1. Open the Windows Settings App.
2. Click on the Update & Security option.
3. Select Troubleshoot located on the left pane.
4. Under the Windows Update section click on the “Run the troubleshooter” option.
5. Follow the on-screen instruction and a Windows Update troubleshooter will start to detect the problem on your PC.
Solution 2: Update Device Drivers Manually
1. Open the Run Dialog box.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” and click on the Ok option. It will open the Device Manager on your computer.
3. Now search for the device that is responsible for the 80070103 error code. Right-click on it and select the “Update driver” option.
4. In the next pop-up window, select the option “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
5. Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the update process.
6. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
1. Go to the Device manufacturer site and search for related drivers.
2. Download the latest version of the required driver.
3. Follow the steps written in the previous section, ranging from 1 to 3.
4. In the pop-up window, click on the option “Browse my computer for driver software”.
5. Now browse and select the downloaded driver folder. Then click on Next.
6. Follow the subsequent instructions to complete the update process.
7. Restart your PC for the change to take effect.
Solution 3: Remove Problematic Driver(s)
1. Search For “Windows Update” in the Windows Start Menu search bar. Select the Windows Update option.
2. Click on the “View updates history” option located on the left pane of the screen.
3. Now search for the update name entry whose status is shown as “Failed”.
4. Open the Run dialog box.
6. Type “devmgmt.msc” and click on Ok to open the Device Manager on your computer.
7. Right-click on the problematic device and select the uninstall option.
8. Restart your computer after the driver uninstallation process is finished.
Solution 4: Hide the Windows Update
1. Open the Control Panel window.
2. Navigate to System and Security-> System.
3. Click on the Advanced System settings option located on the left side of the window.
4. In the System Properties windows, go to the Hardware tab.
5. Now click on the Device Installation Settings option.
6. Check the option No(Your device might not work as expected) to the query Do you want to automatically download manufacturer’s apps and custom icons available for your devices?
7. Restart your computer for the change to take effect.
This setting will stop the Update service from automatically acquiring any information about driver updates.
Solution 5: Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
1. Open the Start Menu and enter CMD in the search bar.
2. Now from the search result list, Right-click on the Command Prompt and click on the “Run as administrator” option.
3. Now execute the four commands in order from top to bottom.
Net stop wuauserv Net stop cryptSvc Net stop bits Net stop msiserver
4. Rename the folder name in CMD using:
Ren C:\\Windows\\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:\\Windows\\System32\\catroot2 Catroot.old
5. Now restart the services that have been stopped in step 3.
Net start wuauserv Net start cryptSvc Net start bits Net start msiserver
After completing the above steps, restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Solution 6: Run The Sfc Command
1. Type CMD in the Start Menu search bar.
2. Right-click on the Command Prompt option and select the Run as administrator option.
3. Type “sfc /scannow” and hit the enter button.
4. Restart your computer after the process is completed.
The SFC command will scan your system for damaged system files and try to restore them if possible. The update error can occur if any of the installed update files are damaged. This solution can restore these corrupted files and thereby remedy the Error Code 0x80070103.
Solution 7: Check for Virus/Malware
Checking/Scanning your system for viruses/malware is also an effective solution to counter this problem. The presence of viruses that specifically target system files and make them corrupt leads to the 80070103 error.
Regular scanning and keeping your virus database up-to-date is a precaution through which you can keep your system secure from this kind of error.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQs)
How Do I Fix The Windows Update Error Code 80070103?
There are several solutions to counter/fix the Update error code 80070103 such as Running the Windows Update troubleshooter, removing the problematic driver, installing device drivers manually, disabling the automatic device driver updates by the Windows Update service, Renaming SoftwareDistribution folder, running the SFC command and checking for virus/malware, etc.
What does error code 80070103 mean?
Error Code 80070103 happens when you try to install device drivers via the Windows Update service. When the installed driver is low incompatibility with your device or it is already outdated leads to the occurrence of this error code. Additionally installing a device driver update that is now meant for your device or device model can also lead to this error.
What is the error code 800f020b?
Windows Update Error Code 800f020b indicates the “device instance does not exist”. This occurs when you try to install a device driver update and the said device isn’t connected to your computer.
How do I know that I have error code 80070103?
You can get the information from the Windows Update tab or window. Open the Control panel on your computer, then navigate to System and Security-> Windows update. Here you can see notifi\cations of the errors that currently ails your system. Also, you can click on the “View update history” and check which Update session is responsible for the error.