So, you received an error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start on your beloved Windows. It is another one of the common errors Windows is notorious for. What does the error 1068 mean? Should you be worried? Is there a way for you to fix that?
Get ready to learn everything about this error 1068 and how it impacts you. You will also learn the correct methods to use that will solve this problem.
What Is Error 1068?
The loathsome error 1068 can appear in three different ways on your screens:
- Error 1068: Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start.
- An Error Occurred While Internet Connection Sharing Was Being Enabled. The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start.
- Windows Could Not Start. Error 1068: The Dependency Or Group Failed To Start The WLAN AutoConfig Service On The Local Computer.
In other words, the error 1068 is a code that shows you that Windows Services aren’t working correctly. Maybe they aren’t starting right or have been corrupted. There could be some conflict within the files.
Why Do You Get Error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed?
What does it mean that the Windows Service isn’t working, corrupted, or in conflict? There has to be something more than a vague answer, right?
Of course, there is. For that, you need to understand what prompts this message. Here are some of the reasons:
- The problem is related to the Network And Sharing Center. It could mean that there is some trouble accessing the network. If the error 1068 appears at this point, you won’t connect to any network.
- If you get ‘Error 1068: The Dependency Or Group Failed To Start,’ it could be Firewall. Windows Firewall (Windows Defender Firewall in Windows 10) might fail to launch. If you’re trying to launch it and get the message, don’t turn the Firewall off. There are other fixes.
But these aren’t the reasons. These are just when and how to get the most Error 1068 on Windows 7 or 10. The cause or the real reason might be different.
What Is The Reason Behind Error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start?
Let’s break it down into the easiest possible definition and reason. If you’re getting Error 1068 for any reason, then Windows files are corrupted.
It could be due to a plethora of reasons:
- Maybe some virus or malware has corrupted the files.
- Perhaps the windows system files were damaged.
- It could’ve been because you shut down wrong or browsed the wrong website.
- Maybe you downloaded some content that was harmful in the long term.
- Did you recently install some program, and it failed? Was the installation incomplete?
- Even uninstalling any program by not following the correct procedure poses problems.
In simple words, you need to take good care of your Windows System. It is a little strange. After all, Windows should have evolved to be much more durable and withstanding. Unfortunately, it isn’t.
Any of these actions can impact the registry of Windows. The registry is a lesser-known segment in your system. It handles a lot of things, including the best performance of the system.
If your registry gets corrupted or malfunctions, you will receive Error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start.
What Do You Need To Do With Error 1068?
Before you get into the solutions and troubleshooting, consider this point.
If you’ve received this error for the first time, you can restart the PC. Do it through built-in options in Windows. Wait patiently for the system to restart and see if that solves the problem.
Most often, people have found the solution to work just fine. Every time you receive it, you can give it a try. If this solves the problem, that’s great. Otherwise, follow with a backup.
Make a backup of all the files and essential data. Try to store it either in a spare hard drive or cloud storage. Additionally, make a system restore point in case things go south.
These steps are essential to ensure you are ready to troubleshoot and fix the problems. With that, you can start repairing the Error 1068 issue.
How to Fix & Solve Error 1068 The Dependency Service or Group Failed to Start Error
The guide is divided into two specific parts. One part covers Error 1068 in the Network And Sharing Center. The other part covers Windows Firewall’s Error 1068. Here is a brief overview:
- Fix Error 1068 For Network And Sharing Center
- Enable The Dependency Services
- Restart Your Connections
- Changing The Registry Key
- Repairing Nlasvc.dll
- Reset TCP/IP To Default
- Fix Error 1068 For Windows Defender Firewall
- Changing The Service Settings
- Expand The Administrator Group
- Updating Your Network Adapter
- Try Disabling The Antivirus
- Update Your Windows
- Final Resort – Reset The Entire Operating System
A. Fix Error 1068 On Network And Sharing Center
1. Enable The Dependency Services
Once you get Error 1068 the dependency or group failed to start, time to enable it. You can check what these services are and allow them to ensure it works just fine.
Simply follow these steps:
- Go to the search bar in your Start Menu.
- Type ‘system configurations.’ You can also try the Windows + S key.
- Once you enter system configuration, find the ‘Services’ tab. Now, there will be a list of options for you to check.
- NLA – Network Location Awareness
- RPC – Remote Procedure Call
- Plug & Play
- Network Connections
- Application Layer Gateway Service
- Remote Access Connection Manager
- Remote Access Auto-Connection Manager
- Make sure all of the above-given options are ‘checked on.’
- Click OK to make changes. Restart the PC.
Now go ahead and try whatever you were doing and see if that worked. If not, move onto another solution.
2. Restart Your Connection
You can follow through with the above-given solutions first and then come to this step. This one requires you to restart both your PC and router. Remember, this is for the Network And Sharing Center problem. So, you can turn your router off and restart it. Check to see if that worked. If not, you can also reset the router. For that, you might have to follow another guide. Usually, all you need to do is:
- Disconnect the network connection.
- Long-press a button on your router (usually given at the backside).
- The connection will reset and restart.
Once you do this, you can reconnect the network connections and see if that works.
3. Changing The Registry Key
Hopefully, your problems are solved with the above-given ideas. If not, then the third step is a critical one. It is advisable to get a professional for this task. Someone who knows enough about computers.
It all has to do with the registry of your system. You will need to access the registry editor and make some changes. Before you begin, there are some things you should know.
The registry is very small in data size but contains the essential value and information of your PC. It helps your PC run smoothly, and most of the programs depend on it. There are many tools like registry cleaners and editors. They promise to enhance a PC’s performance.
Many people have tried this, but it is irrelevant. Registry can’t tweak up the performance. It can only make sure that you have run smoothly and without error. The registry has everything, the data of the system, to temporary files.
Hence, editing a registry can be a difficult task. It can certainly fix the problem. But if you end up with wrong values, your entire operating system can collapse.
That’s why you should have someone knowledgeable. At least, you need to know what you’re doing to ensure the best results.
Now, if you understand the depth of the issue and still seek to continue, follow these steps:
- Go to your Windows Search Bar again. And type ‘regedit,’ press enter. This should launch the registry editor.
- Start navigating: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Dhcp
- Find ‘Dependonservice’ and double click on it. You will find it in the right panel.
- Delete all the words except ‘Afd’ in it.
- Now, go ahead and click OK.
- Restart your PC.
- Launch Network And Sharing again.
This should fix the issue efficiently. If there is still some kind of problem, move to the other steps.
4. Repairing Nlasvc.dll
As you can see, there are many technical solutions to the problem. Here is another one. Are you still receiving the Error 1068 the dependency service failed to start? It could be related to Nlasvc.dll. Maybe it was damaged, corrupted, or infected.
The file’s full name is Network Location Awareness. It is responsible for collecting the essential data and configurations. Thus, the DLL file controls the entire spectrum of the Network And Sharing Center.
If this file gets damaged, you will end up facing a lot of problems. One of them could be the same error as mentioned above. Thus, you will have to rely on the System File Checker (SFC).
Here is a quick guide to help you use it:
- Press CTRL + Shift + Enter. Or go to search, find RUN and type ‘cmd’ press enter. This will launch the command prompt.
- Type sfc/scannow and hit enter button.
The entire scanning process will start immediately. If there are any errors, you will receive a notification. You will then have to launch the data recovery. There are third-party tools to help you with that. You can also use built-in system restores and other tools.
5. Reset TCP/IP To Default
If you still didn’t have any luck with ‘Error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start’ so far, perhaps this step will help. You can go ahead and reset the TCP/IP settings. Sometimes they change unknowingly. Here are the steps:
- Launch the run windows and relaunch the Command prompt, but this time, launch as admin.
- You can also search for Command Prompt and run as administrator.
- Either way, type ‘netsh int IP reset,’ in the command prompt. Type enter. This will reset the entire TCP/IP.
Now all you need to do is restart your PC. This should fix almost any other problem. Now, you shouldn’t receive any more Error 1068 The Dependency Or Group Failed To Start.
This concludes troubleshooting for the Network And Sharing Center. It’s fine for you to fix Windows Defender Firewall. Of course, if none of these steps worked, that might be where the problem is.
B. Fix Error 1068 For Windows Defender Firewall
1. Changing The Service Settings
Changing the service settings can help you fix the issue.
- You can go to the search bar and type ‘run.’ Launch it. You can also press Windows Key + R. Either way, type services.msc and press enter.
- A list of services will open up. Find ‘Windows Defender Firewall.’ Right-click on the option, and click on ‘Properties.’
- Go to ‘Start’ and find ‘startup type’ and turn it to automatic. This will change the Startup type to automatic.
- Then click on Apply and OK.
- You will have to restart the PC
2. Expand The Administrator Group
Once again, you will have to launch the command prompt. You can use any of the above-given methods of the start menu, run, or pressing Windows + C keys. After that, follow through with these:
- Type: net localgroup administrators localservice/add
- Press enter
- Then type: net localgroup administrators networkservice/add.
- Press enter again.
This will help you expand the administrator group. It can fix the Windows Firewall Error 1068.
3. Updating Your Network Adapter
One of the most common reasons for ‘Error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start’ can be the network adapter. Maybe you have an outdated network adapter. This can cause error 1068 dependency service or group failed.
All you need to do is follow this guide:
- Open your device manager. For this, you can search it in the search bar or press Windows + X.
- Find Network Adapters. Expand the list (drop-down button, or arrow, usually.)
- Now, check for the driver you’re using.
- Right-click on the driver and click on Update Driver.
- Yes, you might need an active internet connection for this.
- Allow the system to find the best updates automatically.
- Once the updates get installed and finished, restart the PC.
See if this solves your problems.
4. Try Disabling The Antivirus
This might come off as a strange suggestion, but disabling antivirus can often help. Sometimes, incompatible antivirus can hinder the Firewall services. You can try and disable it to see if that works. It could solve your Error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start issue.
Try always to find authentic antiviruses like Avast or Malwarebytes. Don’t fall for free or easy-to-get antivirus programs. They may be disguised malware and spyware content.
You can disable the antivirus by following its specific guide. If there is no such option, uninstall the antivirus. Restart the PC and check if the system is working fine now.
If so, then use other protection tools. Remember, Windows comes with Windows Defender. That is well-versed protection if you can’t afford any premium virus. So, there’s no need for you to install an unknown antivirus.
5. Always Update Your Windows
Sometimes, Error 1068: The Dependency Service Or Group Failed to Start can be a mishap. It can appear due to an outdated system. When system updates take place, a lot of things change.
Today, the software is as essential as the hardware for seamless transmission. Hence, you should check for Windows Updates. Generally, Windows 10 Updates are automated, and you can’t disable them. They usually install at non-essential hours. These are the times your PC is on standby or you’re not working.
But sometimes, the updates might not install. So always check for them:
- Open Windows Settings (Windows Key + I), and find Updates and Security.
- Then go to the Windows Updates. Search for any new updates.
- If there are new updates, download and install them.
- You will have to restart the PC for changes to take effect.
Once you restart the system, check Windows Update once more.
The Last Resort – Resetting The PC
Remember when we asked you to back up all the essential files? Hopefully, you did that because things are about to reset. If none of the above-given solutions worked for you, this is the last resort.
Try the system restore point if you have any. That way, you won’t have to reset the system. But, there are built-in options now for you to factory reset your operating system (Windows 10).
You can also reinstall the entire operating system and hope that things work just fine for you. This is the last stray. We hope that it fixes your Error 1068 The Dependency Service Or Group Failed To Start problem.
How do I fix error 1068 in the dependency service?
The Error 1068 dependency service or group that failed to start can be fixed using the above-give solutions. These are some of the best you will find.
How do I fix error code 1068 in SQL Server?
The best you can do is check out the Network and Sharing solutions. Gateway service network connections solutions should help you.
Where can I find 1068?
The pop-up will appear abruptly. You won’t have to find it anywhere, like system configuration or driver.
How do I fix ‘Windows could not start the WLAN AutoConfig service on the local computer?’
These problems are also related to the Network settings. You can check out the above-given solution or restart the router. Try using different connections, or set up a new one. These are the only known steps. It is not related to Error 1068 too much.