The Windows Media Creation Tool is used to create bootable USB drives. It is used to install Windows on a computer. It is where the Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a originates. Despite Microsoft’s numerous upgrades, it hasn’t been removed.
The common cause of this error message is when attempting to create a bootable disk. If the disk settings are correct, the Media Creation Tool is likely acting up. We’ll have to utilize a workaround to get it to work.
What Is The ‘media Creation Tool‘ And Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a Windows 10 Setup?
In Windows 10, you may encounter the ‘Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xa001a. It usually happens when you’re trying to make a bootable USB or DVD for Windows 10. I’ll walk you through the process with simple steps and strategies.
Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool. Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool program was devised and developed by the company. This software gives you the choice of downloading the Windows 10 ISO file.
It makes a bootable USB device or a Windows 10 installation DVD. This program aids in the clean installation of Windows 10. Also, the repair of an existing Windows 10 installation.
Some Windows users reported getting the problem ‘Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xa001a’. For various reasons, you won’t be able to build a bootable USB device with Media Creation Tool.
A problem with the USB drive settings could be the cause of this error. Make sure your USB drive is set up correctly. If your USB drive is configured correctly, Media Creation Tool could be the source of the problem.
This problem may arise if you attempt to build a bootable USB drive with an incorrect file system. NTFS is a file system that was created specifically for use in a Windows environment. You must format the USB device with the NTFS file system.
This issue can be caused by an out-of-date or damaged Media Creation Tool. To fix the problem, reinstall or upgrade Media Creation Tool to the newest version. Ensure you have sufficient storage on your USB flash drive to create a bootable USB drive.
Causes For Media Creation Tool Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a in Windows 10 Setup
There are a variety of causes for Windows 10 Media Creation Tool issue 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. Here are a few incidents in which you could run across error code 0x80042405 0xa001a.
- When you start the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, certain antivirus apps are operating.
- You don’t have enough capacity on the USB drive you’re using to build installation disks.
- You didn’t start the Media Creation Tool from the USB drive you wish to make installation media.
- The file system on the USB is not NTFS.
You’ve run into the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool issue 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. You can try one of the seven solutions below. Before you begin, turn off all antivirus software and use a USB stick with at least 8 GB of storage capacity. The size of the Windows 10 ISO file grows with each new edition.
Methods to Fix Microsoft Windows 10 Setup Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a
- Convert USB Drive From GPT To MBR
- Format The USB Drive To NTFS To Fix Error Code 0x80042405 0xa001a
- Run the Media Creation Tool in the Respective USB Drive
- Temporarily Disable Antivirus
- Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting
- Use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
- Change Startup Type Of Update-Related Services
- Use Rufus And Create Installation Media
1. Convert USB Drive From GPT To MBR
The Media Creation Tool needs that your USB device be formatted as MBR (Master Boot Record). Ensure it is not GPT (Guest Partition Table) (GUID Partition Table). It can be changed by following the methods outlined below.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + R keys. It will launch the Run application.
- Hit the Enter on the keyboard after typing “diskpart” without quotation marks.
- Allow the app to launch by clicking Yes when prompted by the User Account Control (UAC).
- To begin, type the following command into your keyboard and press the Enter key: list of disks
- list disk
- You’ll see a list of the disks that are linked to your computer. Fill in the following command and run it once more.
- select disk * (Substitute * with the disk number used to build bootable media.)
- To run the command, type it in and press the Enter key on your keyboard
- After wiping the data from the USB stick, type the following command into your keyboard.
- convert MBR
- You can try running the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool again after completing these steps.
- Check to see whether the 0x80042405-0xA001A error code appears again or if the issue has been repaired.
2. Format The USB Drive To NTFS To Fix Error Code 0x80042405 0xa001a
Your USB drive may be formatted as a FAT32 device right now. It could lead to a known problem in the Media Creation Tool. The error code 0x80042405-0xA001A occurs. Simply formatting your USB in the NTFS format is the simplest fix.
- Open File Explorer (Ctrl + E on your keyboard). Select This PC from the left-hand panel.
- Choose Format from the context menu when you right-click on your target USB device.
- On the screen, the Format window will appear. All you require to do is make sure the File system is set to NTFS.
- To format the USB disk, click Start. Reinstall and run the Media Creation Tool after the process is complete.
3. Run the Media Creation Tool in the Respective USB Drive
In most situations, this method has resolved the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool issue 0x80042405 – 0xa001a. When you encounter error code 0x80042405 0xa001a, the first basic solution should be tried. You must first obtain an ISO file to generate Windows 10 installation media.
- Download the Windows 10 Media Tool on the same USB drive that you’ll use to install Windows 10. You can save this on a USB flash drive.
- Directly from the same USB drive, run the Media Creation Tool. The installer will then build a bootable USB installation media.
- This technique was used by several people and was successful in resolving the Media Creation Tool problem.
4. Temporarily Disable Antivirus
Antivirus software has been known to create computer problems. It disrupts your internet connection and prevents apps and services from functioning correctly.
This method is not advised because using your machine without protection is dangerous. Continue if you understand the risks and have a backup of your system to restore any loss that may occur.
- Choose Task Manager by right-clicking on your taskbar.
- The Task Manager starts in compact mode. Click the “More Details” button to expand the details.
- Use the header menu at the top of the window and navigate to the Start-up tab.
- Locate and choose your antivirus application from the list by clicking on it.
- In the corner (bottom-right) of the window, click the Disable button.
- It will prevent the app from starting when you turn on your smartphone.
- Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool again after restarting your machine.
5. Disable USB Selective Suspend Setting
- Using the keyboard, press the Windows + R keys. Click the OK button after typing in “control.”
- Ensure your view mode is “Category,” then select Hardware and Sound from the drop-down menu.
- From the Power Options section, select the Change when the computer sleeps link.
- Change advanced power settings by clicking the Change advanced power settings link. On the screen, a new window should appear.
- By clicking the + symbol at the bottom of the page, you may expand the USB settings area. Expand USB selective suspend and pick Disabled from the context menu.
- To close the window, click OK after clicking the Apply button. Now you may utilize the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create your media. Check to see if the issue code 0x80042405-0xA001A has been resolved.
6. Use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
The Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool, like the media creation tool, assists users in creating installation media. This tool does almost the same thing as the Media creation tool. You must already have the whole ISO file on your computer.
- Save the ISO file to a convenient location after downloading it from Microsoft’s official website.
- Download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD download utility from Microsoft’s official website.
- As an administrator, run the application. The first step will assist you to select an ISO file from which you wish to make a bootable disk.
- Select the destination drive now. You’ll be building a bootable USB device if you follow the on-screen directions.
7. Change Startup Type Of Update-Related Services
- Pick Run option from the Windows Start, then type services.msc and press Enter.
- Check the status of the services listed below one by one. Any of them is disabled, right-click on them and choose Start from the drop-down menu.
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service
- TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
- Windows Update
- From the list of services, select “Windows Update.”
- Double-click Windows Update and select Automatic as the Startup Type, then click OK.
- Close the Services window and give it another shot.
8. Use Rufus And Create Installation Media
Rufus is a software program. It allows you to format and create bootable USB flash drives. It’s a popular Windows Media Creation Tool substitute. It’s quick, and it also covers things like flashing BIOS and working on a system without an operating system. An ISO file must already be downloaded locally on your computer.
You must first pick the ISO file, after which the media creation process will begin. You may learn more about Rufus in our post How to Create a Windows 10 Bootable USB. Ensure that the utility is run as an administrator.
Resolving Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405 – 0xa001 is not difficult. Follow all the methods given in this article. One of the methods will resolve this error. If any issue occurs then contact us on the provided social media details.
What Is Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a in Windows 10 Setup?
Windows Media Creation Tool is the source of Error Code 0x80042405-0xa001a. It is typically used to create bootable USB drives to install Windows on a computer. The most common cause is when attempting to create bootable CDs is disk settings.
Why Is Media Creation Tool Not Working?
The Media Creation tool fails to work or becomes stuck at any stage, remove it and redownload it. It may require reinstalling Windows 10, but it may be the quickest option to repair the issue. Ensure your internet connection is steady while the tool is running.
How Do I Fix The Media Creation Tool Error There Was A Problem Running This Tool?
As an administrator, start the Media Creation Tool. When using the Media Creation Tool, you can get this problem. Running the tool as an administrator is the most basic solution. The “There was a difficulty running this tool” error. Right-click the bootable USB drive icon once you’ve plugged it in. Use the Media Creation Tool.