If you’re a Windows 10 user, you might have stumbled upon the issue of DVD not working on it. You inserted your favorite disc into the disc drive only to find it not working. In most situations, it’s either the absence of a dedicated DVD playback software or a faulty CD/DVD drive.
Nevertheless, it isn’t very pleasant to face such a situation, having experienced the same.
But there’s nothing to worry about as nothing can be solved with a little information. And we’re here to provide you with that information if you see that the DVD won’t play on Windows 10. So, let’s start.
What To Do If The DVD Won’t Play On Windows 10?
As aforesaid, there can be many reasons behind this issue with your Windows or device leading to this situation. But discussing the reason might not get us anywhere. So, why not just jump into the main solution.
Following are some of the ways that you can try to make your DVD play on Windows 10.
- Check Your DVD Drive
- Use VLC Media Player
- Update DVD Drive Driver
- Delete And Reinstall The Registry Entry
- Uninstall And Reinstall The IDE/ATAPI Controller
- Run The Troubleshooter
- Run SFC Scan
- Update Windows 10
Let’s discuss each of these solutions in detail below.
1. Check Your DVD Drive
There might be something wrong with your CD or DVD drive. To check them, follow these steps.
- In the Device Manager, check for the device’s status. To access the Device Manager, press the Windows + X keys. And click on the Device Manager option.
- Click on the DVD/CD-ROM drives on the Device Manager. If it’s normal, then it’ll be displayed normally. Or, if it’s not normal, there will be a red cross (❌) sign or a yellow exclamation mark on this option.
And if this is the case, you need to update your drive or reinstall it.
You can use free versions to download the drivers that will help you in updating this to solve this issue.
If you’re unable to find any device under that category of drives, try the following steps:
- Open the Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type the following command and press the Enter key – reg.exe add “HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesatapiController0” /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001.
- Reboot your computer.
- Now, check the device if you can see the device in that category.
Keep in mind that these above steps will lead to a change in your registry. Hence, before proceeding further, back up your registry. And in case you’re still facing the issue with DVDs, then a problematic cable connection or defective drive might be the actual problem here.
You can perform some tests to be sure with other drives, or if required, you can contact the device’s manufacturer.
2. Use VLC Media Player
If you cannot find the DVD player app on your device, this might be why the DVD won’t play on Windows 10. But don’t worry as you can download it from the Microsoft Store. And it’s free to download.
Follow these steps to do that.
- Install the VLC’s Player desktop version on your computer.
- Insert the DVD drive.
- Open the installed VLC player.
- Click on the Media option on the screen.
- Click on the Open Disc option.
- Your DVD will be played after clicking.
If this hack is not working on your computer, you should try the following methods.
3. Update DVD Drive Driver
Your DVD drive’s driver might be the issue as it might not be updated, further creating this issue. This will also not allow you to play the DVD even after installing any DVD player app.
Therefore, you’d update your DVD Drive Driver, which can be done with the below steps.
- Click on Device Manager after right-clicking on the Start Menu.
- Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives. You can see the name of the DVD drives. Click on the Update Drive option after right-clicking on the desired DVD drive.
- Click on Search automatically for updated driver software. Hence, the latest version of the driver will be installed for your DVD drive.
- Restart your system.
The issue must be fixed once the computer starts, as your drivers will be updated by now.
4. Delete And Reinstall The Registry Entry
There is a chance your registry entry is corrupted, so you need to delete and reinstall it. Follow these steps to do so.
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
regeditin the box and press the Enter key.
- If prompted, type the Administrator Password and press the Enter key.
- Windows Registry Editor will be opened.
- Expand these folders from the left panel.
- As you open the folder, there will be registry entries on the right-side panel. There will be either UpperFilters or LowerFilters, or both. But if there’s neither of them, stop and don’t touch any other entries.
- You need to Delete them by right-clicking on them.
- Please restart your computer once they are removed.
Now, check if the DVD won’t play on Windows 10 issue got resolved or not. If not, try the next solution.
5. Uninstall And Reinstall The IDE/ATAPI Controller
There might be some problem with the IDE/ATAPI controllers that is causing the issue of DVD not working on Windows 10. Integrated Drive Electronics and Advanced Technology Attachment provide an interface to communicate between your system and hard drives, DVD/CD-ROMs, etc.
Also, Advanced Tech Attachment Packet Interface operates inside the IDE. This helps hard disks and DVD/CD-ROMS be added to the system.
Hence, any issue with these controllers can further affect the DVD playback.
To fix this issue, you can uninstall and reinstall them. Follow these steps to do so.
- Right-click on the Start menu.
- Click on the Device Manager option in the pop-up menu.
- Click on the Show Hidden Devices option in the View menu.
- Expand the IDE/ATAPI controller’s options once you locate them.
- Once you expand them, there will be a few controllers, such as ATA Channel 0, ATA Channel 1, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, etc.
- Uninstall each of these controllers by right-clicking on them.
- After completion of the uninstall process, restart your computer.
- The Window will automatically install Necessary controllers on your computer once you complete the rebooting process.
6. Run The Troubleshooter
A built-in troubleshooter feature can also be used to fix the issue of DVDs not playing. It’s one of the simplest and easiest ways. This can be done by following the below steps.
- Open the Settings on your computer.
- Go to the Update & Security.
- Click on the Troubleshoot.
- Click on the Additional Troubleshooters. It’d be in the Recommended Troubleshooting or Additional Troubleshooters section.
- Select the Video Playback.
- Select the Run the Troubleshooter option.
- There will be a new pop-up on the screen with a loading bar consisting of a message, Detecting Problems.
- Hold on for a few seconds to let the system complete the scanning process.
- Once the process is completed, the troubleshooter will display the fixes for the issue.
- Click on the Apply this fix option.
- Again, hold on for a few seconds till the fix is applied.
- Once this is done, you need to restart the computer. Just save the work if required and carry on with the last step.
There are chances that the troubleshooter won’t find any issue after scanning at all. In that case, you need to find another way to find the solution for the issue.
Use the Control Panel to run the troubleshooter for the Windows Media Player. Follow these steps for this.
- From the search bar, open the Control Panel.
- Click on the Hardware And Sound option.
- Click on Windows Media Player DVD.
Let the troubleshooter scan the media player and rectify the issues if any.
7. Run SFC Scan
This is another fix that you can try to solve the issue of why DVDs won’t play on Windows 10. Follow these steps for this.
- Hit the Start option.
- Click on the Windows System folder by scrolling down.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt.
- Click on More.
- Click on Run as Administrator.
sfc/scannowand press Enter.
- Wait till the command is completed.
- Restart your Windows computer.
8. Update Windows 10
Well, updating Windows 10 should be your last fix if any of the above won’t work. Older versions of Windows can create hindrances in the normal working of the computer, and by updating it to the latest version, you can solve this issue.
Follow these steps to do so.
- Press the Windows + I keys.
- Click on the Security & Update option.
- In the right pane, click on the Checks for Updates.
- Hold on a second for the checking process.
- Install all the available updates.
That’s all the fixes that can be done to solve the issue with the DVD player. Your computer should be able to play the media by now, as we’ve included the entire possible problem and the steps required to solve them.
Otherwise, you can try installing the free DVD players for your Windows 10.
Top 5 Free Windows DVD Players
We have included the top 5 free DVD players of Windows 10 so that you don’t have to go and search about each of them.
1. VLC Media Player by VideoLan
VLC Media Player is the most versatile option on the entire list. It can be used for playing audio, video files, and images on PCs, smartphones, Macs, and Linux computers. It won’t be wrong to say it’s the most reliable as you can play DVD and Blu-ray discs. You can also play videos on the updated version in 4k or 8k resolution.
You can choose if you want to open a DVD, Audio CD, VCD, or Blu-ray disc, with the help of Open Disc in the Player’s Media Menu.
- Available for PC and MAC for free.
- Most versatile and reliable media player.
- Video editing options.
- Great tools for syncing subtitles.
- 4k or 8k resolution files can be choppy.
PotPlayer is the best option if you’re looking for a DVD player for all Windows. It has the following features.
- Provide support to video file formats that are used the most.
- Supports DVDs, audio CDs, Blu-rays, and PotPlayer.
- This option also supports different varieties of 3D glasses.
- It has enhanced H/W Acceleration technology.
- You don’t have to search for codec packs.
- Support for Full OpenCodec.
- 3D viewing experience.
- Bookmark the chapters.
- Compatible with multiple devices, such as DVD, TV, and HDTV devices.
- The audio Playback option can be improved.
BlazeDVD is another unique media player as it supports region-coded and CSS-encrypted DVDs. But obviously, you must buy the pro version to add the subtitles or open region-coded DVDs. You can buy this pro version for just $49.96, i.e., a one-time payment.
You can have a theater-like experience, as it supports the Surround Sound feature. This feature enhances the sound quality of playback audio. It also has the following features:
- You can choose between 10 filters for BlazeDVD’s media files.
- You can use parental control.
- You can create the slideshows in MPEG2 file format.
All of these features are offered by the Pro version.
- Great audio playback features.
- Supports a learning mode.
- Smart Stretch Technology.
- Equipped with the multi-core CPU acceleration features.
- There are only a few options available for DVD and Blu-ray playback in the free version.
The 5KPlayer option is best suitable if you want a theater-like experience at your home. PC and MAC users can install this for free. You can use it for capturing the screen in 4k resolution. It also has the following features.
- Mirroring with AirPlay technology.
- You can download videos from several websites (more than 300) using 5kPlayer.
- It offers playback of Full HD, 4K, and 360° formats.
- 5kPlayer can also play DTS multichannel surround sound in MP3, stereo, WMA, AAC, or FLAC files.
- Built-in radio player.
- Common subtitles file formats are also supported in this option.
- Supports a wide range of video and audio files.
- Great screen capturing tools.
- Video can be downloaded from more than 300 websites.
- Excellent streaming capabilities.
- It doesn’t support Blu-ray.
5. GOM Media Player
GOM Media Player has become a versatile option for Windows 10 and previous versions of the OS over the years. It has the following features.
- It allows videos to be played in several resolutions and formats.
- GOM Media Player has several built-in codecs such as Vorbis, H263, H265 MP4, or XVID. It further allows you to open the most common types of video files.
- An extensive subtitles library.
- Supports 360° VR videos.
You can use it for free or have the paid version; it will only remove the advertisements. It also adds subtitles automatically by searching for the most suitable ones. If you want to open a Blu-rays disc, you must ensure that all the necessary codecs are present.
- Easy downloading process.
- Great subtitles library.
- Supports a wide range of video and audio files.
- Low system requirements.
Everything that can be done to solve the issue of your DVD won’t play on Windows 10 is spoken of above. And any solution above should work for you. This is a common issue that might be reoccurring; hence, you’d know the basic ways that can be used to treat the problem.
Also, you can choose the free DVD video player at your convenience. Just keep the above information in mind while making a choice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why won’t my DVD play on Windows 10?
If your DVD doesn’t play on Windows 10, there can be mainly two causes behind this. First, there might be no proper DVD playback software supported by your Windows. And secondly, there’s some problem with your CD/DVD drive.
What is the best DVD media player for Windows 10?
Some of the best DVD players for Windows 10 are VLC Media Player by VideoLan, PotPlayer, BlazeDVD, 5Kplayer, GOM Media Player, and Macgo Windows Blu-ray.
What is the use of IDE/ATAPI controllers?
IDE/ATAPI controllers are used for making the communication between your system and hard drives, DVD/CD-ROMs, etc.; Integrated Drive Electronics and Advanced Technology Attachment provide an interface.
Also, Advanced Tech Attachment Packet Interface operates inside the Integrated Drive Electronics. This helps hard disks and DVD/CD-ROMS to be added to the system.