What is the Discord update failed error?
Most probably, the Discord update failed error is the direct result of new updates requirements that needed to get configured before installing it. When one tries to install the updates discord app tries to fetch the new set of commands introduced, which causes a clash of opposing configurations, resulting in the discord update failing.
Why My Discord Update Failed?
It could be due to plenty of reasons. Discord is a big giant that functions by several people behind it. It is a big platform adopted by a lot of communities and thus needs to get updated timely.
A lot of changes take place when new updates get proposed in it. And which may include a different set of adjustments and allowances that could cause errors to us when attempting to install.
So, to fix the update issue, we need to do a few configurations on our system to download the new update without errors and exceptions.
Methods to Fix Discord Update Failed Loop Error:
- Method 1. Run Discord as administrator
- Method 2. Rename the Update.exe file
- Method 3. Disable Windows Defender Firewall
- Method 4. Temporarily disable your antivirus
- Method 5. Reinstall Discord, and remove app data
Method 1. Run Discord as Administrator
The very first thing you can try doing is to run your discord application as the administrator. It will allow the application to access all the limited parts to function and work as we want, which may fix our discord update failed issue. So, how can we do it? Follow the tracks below to run your discord application as an administrator.
- Type Discord in the search engine of your system.
- As you do so, all the operations you can perform with Discord will show up alongside your screen.
- In those, select the Run as administrator and open it.
- Now, click on Yes, when asked to allow the app to make changes to the system and proceed.
It must fix your issue. Didn’t? Then proceed with the below methods.
Method 2. Rename the Update.exe file
In plenty of cases renaming the Update.exe file to Updatex.exe file has proven handy in fixing the discord update failed issue. So, why not try that? So, to rename the Update.exe file, follow the commands below:
- Type Run in the search window of your device and open the Run app.
- Once you open the app, copy-paste “%localappdata%” in the open input window, and now hit enter.
- As you hit enter, a local file explorer window will appear on the screen.
- Now, in this file explorer window, look for the Discord folder and open it.
- In the Discord folder, locate the Discord Update.exe file. Right-click on the file and rename the discord update file to Updatex.exe carefully. And we are done.
Now, try reinstalling the updates of the discord application. It must update without issues this time. If not, go with another step below.
Method 3. Disable Windows Defender
You can try disabling the windows defender firewall to fix the issue. To disable the firewall, obey the mentioned steps:
- Type Windows Defender Firewall in the search engine, and open it.
- As you open it, a new window will pop out.
- Now, on the left of the window, you will see plenty of options.
- In those, choose Turn off the Windows Defender Firewall and turn off the windows defender firewall.
Now, again try installing the discord app updates.
Method 4. Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus
There is a good chance that the issue could be due to the tampering of your third-party security antivirus. So, to tentatively disable your antivirus defender and install the updates sleekly, follow the steps below:
- Open windows settings.
- Type Virus and threat protection in the settings search engine.
- Now, open the Virus and threat protection settings.
- And turn off the Real-time protection.
Turning off the Real-time protection will permit you to execute several operations without the interruption of your antivirus. And this could help you tackle the errors in installing the updates if the antivirus was the only problem.
Method 5. Reinstall Discord, and Remove App Data
If none of the methods helped you tackle the issue, then the last thing you could do is reinstall the discord app after removing all the app data. It will help the application work from the very beginning and could fix the issue for sure. So, to reinstall the discord application follow the steps beneath:
Firstly we will kill the discord task from the task manager. And then will proceed with deleting the discord data.
- Search Task Manager in the search bar and open it.
- Now, click on the discord app and click End task.
Now, we will proceed with uninstalling the discord app from our system.
- Search the Discord application in the search bar and click on Uninstall to uninstall the discord application from your system.
Now we will further continue by deleting the residue files of the discord app loaded in our system.
- Search Run in the search bar and open it.
- Type “%localappdata%” in the open input window, and hit enter.
- Now in the file explorer folder, locate the discord app and delete the whole discord folder.
We have removed all the residue of the old discord application from our system. Now you can easily download it back from the official Discord site – Download Discord. And can use it freshly, without any faults.