The Discord Text-To-Speech feature makes things easier for people. You can type anything, and Discord’s voice will transcribe it for you. It is a very entertaining tool if used wisely. But, there can come a time when you face issues with it.
If you’re facing the Discord text to speech not working error, here are some fixes that can help you out.
Discord Text To Speech Not Working Solutions
- Enable Discord TTS
- Check The Server Channel
- Check The Sound Drivers
- Resetting The Stereo Playback
- Update Discord App
- Update Windows 10
- Switch Discord Apps
- Reinstall Discord
- Check Discord Server Status
- Use A Different Device
Fix Text-To-Speech Not Working Discord
1. Enable Discord TTS
The first thing that you need to do is check if Discord TTS is enabled. You have to toggle it if you want to use it manually. It is not an automated service.
- Launch the Discord app. You can also use TTS on the Web app. Sign in to your account.
- At the bottom, look at Settings and click on it. It should be next to your username.
- Go to the User Settings and find Notifications from the side of the menu. There, you will find Text-to-Speech notifications. Enable it. This option is for you to listen to other people’s TTS.
- Return to the User Settings and go to Accessibility. There is an entire section for the Text-To-Speech feature. Make sure to turn on the ‘Allow playback and usage of /tts command.’
- The entire feature is customizable from the speech speed (text-to-speech rate). Some features could allow you to change your voice. Use the preview option to use the perfect settings for yourself.
Now, to use the text-to-speech command, all you need to do is type: /tts message: then type the message here—press enter.
2. Check The Server Channel
Discord has made it possible for the server owners to disable TTS. This is to prevent any misuse, spam, or abuse of the feature. Thus, your Discord TTS will only work if the server’s settings have enabled it.
If the feature isn’t allowed on a server channel, you won’t be able to use it. Regardless of what you do, TTS won’t work. So make sure to check for this.
If you’re the server owner, follow these steps:
- Click on the Channel you wish to edit, and click on Settings for that server.
- Go to the Channel Settings and find Permissions. Go to advanced permissions.
- Now, you can select a role or select @everyone. Make sure to ‘check-on’ next to ‘Send text-to-speech messages.’ This will enable it for everyone. Make sure to save changes.
- Now you can go ahead and use the ‘
/tts‘ command on the channel.
Remember that only the users who have TTS notifications will hear the message.
3. Check The Sound Drivers
Discord Text-To-Speech works with your speakers. It needs sound devices to work to the best. Maybe the Discord TTS is working but incompatible with your speakers. What does it mean? It means that you need to update your sound drivers.
First, make sure that your speakers or sound output device work fine. Play music, try discord Voice calls and check the sound output. If they are working fine, it is time for you to update the drivers.
There are many reasons to update drivers. You can get the proper chipsets, crisp sound quality, and enhanced speaker performance.
- First, you need to open the Device Manager. There are many ways for you to do it. You can search the Search Bar next to Start Menu and search for Device Manager. Right-click on it and select’ Run as Administrator.’ This will avoid any future permission issues.
- You can also right-click the Start Menu and select Device Manager. Either way, find the ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ section in the list. An arrow icon should be next to this section for you to click and expand the list.
- Go to each driver. Make sure to correlate the name with the one that is the default playback device. Right-click on it and go to properties.
- In the properties, switch to the Driver tab. There, you will find various options. There will be Enable or Disable, Update Driver, and so on. Click on the Update Driver and select ‘Search automatically for the drivers.’ This will allow PCs to search online and download the drivers.
- If you can’t find the updates, check the manufacturer’s website. These websites generally have the drivers you are looking for. If updating the drivers doesn’t solve the issue, you can always resume to properties and Roll Back.
- Also, if the driver tab shows the ‘Enable’ button, click on it. It meant that the driver was disabled. But, if it shows the ‘Disable’ option, don’t click on it.
- You can also use the Windows Update feature to find the relevant drivers. Either way, reboot the PC once you download and install the drivers.
Sometimes, you don’t need the latest driver. If you have an up-to-date driver, you might want to disable and enable it once. You can also reinstall it by uninstalling the driver and rebooting the PC.
If that doesn’t automatically download the drivers, click on ‘Search for hardware changes.’ That will work, and see if it fixes your issues.
4. Resetting The Stereo Playback
There’s one quite annoying problem of incompatibility with Discord TTS. You must use the ‘stereo audio’ configurations with your sound system. You can’t use a ‘surround sound system’ or ‘multi-speaker system.’
These kinds of settings can interfere with the Discord TTS performance. As a result, the TTs might not work at all.
Thus, to work with Discord TTS, you must ensure that your speakers have stereo settings. You will have to use the default Windows sound settings and for that, follow these steps:
- Go to the Start Menu and right-click on it to select Settings. You can also press Windows Logo Key + I Key on the Keyboard to open Settings.
- Go to the System settings and find Sound. In the Sound Setting window, click on the Sound Control Panel. This will open up a new menu.
- Now, go to the Playback Device tab. It can be named ‘Playback.’ In there, find the default playback. If it isn’t the one you want to use, select the one you wish to use. Right-click on it, select ‘Set As Default,’ and save the settings.
- Then reopen the playback devices, select the default playback device and click on Configure.
- Go to the Speaker Setup menu. You can select the quality, sound settings, type and such. Select Stereo. You can choose any quality for Stereo that your device allows. Make sure to click on Test to confirm that you can hear the sound. Click on Next.
- Now, you will come to another part of the wizard. You don’t have to do much in the Speaker Setup. Just select the type of speakers you are using. Make sure you have configured the speakers correctly in the position, or leave it be. Click Next and Finish.
- Once done, you will have to restart your PC.
Now, go ahead and launch Discord. Check and see if TTS is working or not.
5. Update Discord App
Check and see if you’ve missed any Discord updates. It is a rare case, but possible. Generally, when Discord launches, it checks for updates. But, in some cases, it might not update. Thus, it is a good idea to check for updates.
- A quick way is to refresh Discord. Press CTRL + R
- If that doesn’t work, visit the official Discord website. Download the latest version from there and install it.
6. Update Windows 10
Since we cover all the methods, updating Windows 10 shouldn’t be overlooked. Go ahead and press Windows + I Key together:
- This will open the Windows 10 Settings Menu. Go to Update & Security.
- Click on Check For Updates if the button is available. If not, click on Download, as there might be updates available.
- If there aren’t any updates, check for additional updates and download them. These can help you out in the long run.
Restart the PC and Discord. See if this fixes the Discord TTS not working issue.
7. Switch Discord Apps
Switching the app is a great way to check that Discord TTS is working. If you already have a PC or Mac app, switch to the Internet Browser. Use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or any other browser that supports Discord.
Log in to your account and check the settings. Enable TTS notifications and the feature. Then, check and see if it is working.
Make sure that you have joined the right channel that supports TTS. If it is working, then move to the next solution.
8. Reinstall Discord
If your Discord TTS is working on a Web platform but not the app, it is time for you to reinstall Discord. It means that some Discord files got corrupted. This is nothing new, and there can be many reasons for this. So go ahead and reinstall Discord.
- Make sure to close Discord via Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL).
- Go to the Control Panel and Add or Remove Programs option. You can also open the Apps window and uninstall Discord from there.
- After uninstalling, reboot and ensure you have no remaining folder. Delete if there is any.
- Then download the latest version and install it.
Reinstalling Discord is a good idea if it poses any problem. This can save you a lot of time.
9. Check Discord Server Status
Discord doesn’t have a single server but many dedicated servers. These take care of API, Voice, Text, Third-party, and many other things. Each server has a specific role to play, and there comes a time when it requires maintenance. Thus, a Discord server may go down.
If you’ve tried everything so far and still fail to fix the problem, the Discord server might be down. To confirm this, you can visit the official Discord server website and check the status. If the Status is fine, there could be some other reason.
10. Use A Different Device
You can also give this a try. Use a different device like your Phone. Discord now supports TTS on the Phone, so you can give it a go. You can also try and use another PC. See if that works.
If that’s working, the problem is in your device. You can try to reset Windows 10 or reinstall Windows. If the situation calls for it, you can try to use new hardware to see if that solves the issue. It is rare for Discord TTS to not work after the above-given solutions.
Check the volume mixers and that you don’t have Discord muted somehow. If your voice calls are working, it could be some underlying problem.
Conclusion – Discord Text To Speech Bot Not Working
Now you have the ten best solutions to fix Discord text to speech bot not working. If you ever run into a problem, make sure to recall this checklist. You can fix almost any Discord TTS problem with these solutions.
Remember always to check the volume settings, volume mixer, and that your Discord isn’t muted. If there’s any third-party volume or audio control tool you use, make sure to disable it.
Discord TTS is a fun feature. So, use it for fun as much as you’d like.