For a few years, Discord has been the most popular VOIP service among gamers. Its popularity has continued to rise, indicating how simple the program is to use. The Discord App development staff is fantastic. The program is often updated with bug patches.
In Discord App, there’s a microphone glitch where the user can hear the other channel members. They don’t hear his microphone audio. The “discord mic not working” problem appears to be related to the desktop version of Discord. Several users have claimed that their mics work well when using the web app.
An increasing number of gamers are abandoning other communication apps. For their gaming demands. The majority of them began to use Discord as their primary communication platform.
The application is simple to use and has few bugs. Discord’s development staff is usually quick to fix bugs that are reported. For months, they’ve been unable to solve the problem of “discord mic not working.”
Before You Start To Fix Discord Mic Not Working
You can take some essential things to remedy the problem before we go into any setup adjustments. These patches are for anyone who has already installed Discord but has had it stop working.
- Close Discord entirely before attempting to reopen it. It will sometimes solve the problem, but it will not always.
- Unplug and replug your audio/mic jack or USB, and then reopen Discord.
- Restart PC If none of the preceding alternatives worked. A complete restart of your computer should restore your microphone’s functionality.
- Log out If the problem remains. Instead of shutting down Discord, try logging out.
- To log out, move to the bottom of the page.
- Select the small cogwheel labeled “User Settings.”
- Re-enter your username and password to see if it worked.
Methods To Fix “Discord Not Picking Up Mic”
- Run Discord as Administrator
- Select Headset under Input Device
- Logging out of Discord
- Reset Voice Settings
- Ensure “Automatic Input Sensitivity” is Disabled
- Allow Discord to Use Your Microphone.
- Disabling Exclusive Mode in Windows
- Changing the Input Mode to Push to Talk
- Change Privacy Settings
- Disable QoS on Discord
- Disabling Advanced Voice Activity
- Changing the audio jacks
- Update Microphone/Audio driver
- Contact Discord Team
1. Run Discord as Administrator
Discord uses UDP to communicate data to your friends. Discord software may not have the necessary permissions to send your voice over the internet. Try running Discord with the administrator. One of the first things Discord’s customer service suggests is this remedy.
- Go to the Discord App icon.
- Simply right-click on it.
- Select Run as Administrator to run Discord as an administrator.
2. Select Headset under Input Device
Here’s how to see what input device Discord is using:
- By clicking the cogwheel icon in the lower-left corner, you can access User Settings.
- Find the App Settings header in User Settings, then click Voice & Video.
- A capitalized label Input Device can be seen here. Select your favorite microphone as the input device from the drop-down option.
- Make that the Input Volume slider, which is located just below the Input Device drop-down menu, is set to the highest setting. It should be there by default, but drag it to the maximum position if it isn’t.
- Check to see whether it fixed the Discord not detecting the mic issue.
3. Logging out of Discord
Usually, logging out and back in solves the “discord mic not working” problem. However, keep in mind that this is only a temporary solution.
- Click the User Settings icon in the bottom-left corner to log out of the desktop version of Discord.
- Then scroll and click Log Out, then confirm by clicking Log Out again.
- Re-enter your credentials to log in and test if your pals can hear you once you’ve successfully logged out.
4. Reset Voice Settings
You’re only having trouble with the Discord desktop app. It will most likely “reset voice settings” of the App for normal functionality. If the “discord mic not working” problem appears after you’ve replaced your old headset with a new one, follow the procedures below.
Here’s how to reset Discord’s voice settings.
- Go to User Settings, then select Voice & Video from the left-hand sidebar under App Settings.
- Scroll the screen to find a bright red button labeled “Reset Voice Settings.” Select Reset Voice Settings from the drop-down menu.
- If you’ve already made some choices on this Voice & Video page, those choices will be overwritten once you click the button.
- After that, you can put your microphone to the test. To go to the top of the page, scroll up.
- To verify if your microphone is working, click the Let’s Check button under Mic Test. What you say into your microphone should be audible back to you.
5. Ensure “Automatic Input Sensitivity” is Disabled
When automatic input sensitivity is disabled, a “discord mic not working” problem can occur. The manual input sensitivity slider may be adjusted too far to the right in some cases. Your voice level is consistently below that, which means your Discord mic is never activated. Activate automated input sensitivity. Allow Discord to choose the best input sensitivity level for accurately capturing your voice.
- In the bottom-left corner of the Discord windows, click the User Settings icon.
- Go to User Settings. Then select Voice & Video .
- Scroll down to Input Sensitivity and turn on the toggle next to “Automatically determine input sensitivity.”
- Then, while talking into your headset, check to see if the bar below turns solid green. Continue to the following stage if it glows green when you speak.
- Disable the toggle and make sure the manual slider is in the midway position. If the manual bar pulsates while you speak, you’re set to go.
6. Allow Discord to Use Your Microphone
This procedure guarantees that the correct Windows settings are enabled. It allows Discord to access your microphone. Here’s how to go about it:
- Select the Privacy option by typing “settings” into Windows Search and pressing Enter.
- Select Microphone from the App permissions drop-down menu.
- A paragraph regarding allowing apps to access your microphone may be found here. Check to see if the toggle switch is on.
- Discord should now recognize your microphone but try the first technique again if it still doesn’t. If the problem continues, proceed to the next step in the troubleshooting process.
7. Disabling Exclusive Mode in Windows
Some programs are set up to have complete control over the audio device driver. Allowing them to do so may cause Discord issues. If some Exclusive Mode options are enabled, the microphone in Discord will completely shut down with some headphones.
- Select Sounds after right-clicking on the sound/volume icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Go to the recording tab.
- Select your headset’s microphone and select Properties.
- Deselect the checkboxes under Exclusive Mode on the Advanced tab. Don’t forget to hit Apply to finish the process.
- Check if your mic is running in Discord after rebooting your system.
8. Changing the Input Mode to Push to Talk
Some users have discovered that changing the Input mode Settings on Discord from Voice Activity to Push to Talk provides a workaround for getting the microphone to work.
The primary flaw of this method is that it requires you to constantly touch a button when you wish to speak with someone.
- Move to User Settings and pick Voice & Video from the left-hand column under App Settings.
- Next, scroll the screen until you see the two options for Voice Activity and Push to Talk under Input Mode.
- Push to Talk should be checked. You’ll need to make a keybinding. (Every time you want your microphone to pick up your voice, assign a key on your keyboard to act as an activator.)
- So Record Keybind to assign a key, then Stop Recording to have it take effect once you’ve allocated a key.
- The next time you’re Discording with someone, try pressing the key you chose to chat.
9. Change Privacy Settings
With the new Microsoft update, all programs were automatically denied access to the microphone. It only applies to third-party applications, which includes Discord. It was caused by a change in the permissions policy that these applications were granted.
If you have a disabled microphone in Windows Privacy Settings resulting from this update, it may stop working in Discord. In that instance, allowing Discord access to your microphone may be the solution.
- Press the Windows key, type Privacy Settings, and then choose Privacy Settings from the list of options.
- Scroll down to the Microphone on the left panel of windows and click it.
- Toggle the switch for “Apps to access your microphone” to On in the right panel of the window.
- Now, scroll in the right panel and see if Discord’s Microphone permission is enabled. If you can’t find Discord, check for Win32WebViewHost.
- Restart your PC and notice if you can use the microphone in Discord now.
10. Disable QoS on Discord
Discord’s QoS setting could be interfering with several critical system functionalities. This “discord mic not working” error could be triggered. As a result, we’ll disable it entirely in this step.
- Launch Discord and select “User Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Click the “Voice and Video” option in the left tab of User settings.
- To turn it off, uncheck the “Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority” checkbox.
- Check whether the problem still exists.
11. Disabling Advanced Voice Activity
It’s also conceivable that your Discord has the “Advanced Voice Activity” function enabled. The old microphone may become unusable as a result of this. Follow the instructions below to turn off this feature.
- Go to the Discord Settings page.
- Next, navigate to the “Voice & Video” section.
- Make sure that the “Advanced Voice Activity” option is turned off.
- Restart your Discord and see if the problem still exists.
12. Changing the Audio Jacks
Check for hardware damages. It’s possible that the audio jacks you’re using aren’t being appropriately detected by Discord. I recommend changing the ports on your microphone.
You can connect your mic to the backside of the computer. Also, try connecting to the front audio jacks. If they’re connected to the front audio jacks, try connecting them to the back audio jacks.
You don’t have to take this step if your microphone works correctly in other programs, but it’s worth mentioning.
13. Update Microphone/Audio Device Driver
If the more straightforward methods failed to resolve your issue, your audio driver might be at fault. Mic input detection difficulties might be caused by an out-of-date driver or a corrupted file.
You may manually or automatically upgrade your audio driver to get the most up-to-date version for your PC. It all depends on your preferences.
Update the audio driver manually
We can’t give you a step-by-step guide to all of the different types of audio drivers because there are so many.
- Firstly, Go to your audio card’s manufacturer’s website.
- Check for the most recent driver to download.
- Double-check that the driver you’ve chosen is compatible with the Windows version on your computer.
Update the audio driver automatically
If you’re not certain what kind of audio device you have, you can use driver updater software to update it automatically. These programs scan your system, detect all available devices, and then locate the most recent drivers for those devices.
- Scan your PC with Driver Easy.
- After the driver, you want to update, click the Update button.
- Click Continue after selecting “Manually Create.”
- Allow time for the download to finish.
- Click Continue after selecting “Manually Install.”
- To manually install your driver with Device Manager, follow this tutorial.
14. Contact Discord Team
So, if you’ve tried everything on this page. Assume you are convinced that nothing works to solve your Discord mic not working. Now, the last resort is to send an email to Discord’s audio support staff. If everything else fails, this should help you out because they can fix any faults on their end.
We assume that this knowledge has assisted you in resolving the “discord mic not working” problem. All of the procedures listed above will undoubtedly solve Your issue. If a complete reinstall doesn’t work, get in touch with Discord, who will be pleased to help you further.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my mic not working on Discord?
Make sure your computer’s USB or 3.5mm input jack is securely connected. It’s also an excellent plan to test with different ports. Make sure your device does not have a hardware mute turned on. Ensure you have the newest drivers and software for your device.
Why can no one hear me on Discord?
Hardware compatibility is one of the most popular cures for not being able to hear people in Discord. Hardware components are sometimes incompatible with Discord’s most recent audio subsystem. This problem can be solved by reverting to the traditional audio subsystem.
How do I enable the microphone on Discord?
First, open the Settings in Discord. Click the cog symbol in the bottom left corner next to your name and avatar. Select “Voice & Video” on the left in the Settings menu. under “App Settings.” It will open a menu where you may adjust your microphone or headset’s settings.
Why is Discord not detecting audio?
Although it may seem to be an easy solution, it can sometimes be disabled or unplugged. It was causing Discord to fail to recognize them. Check to see if others receiving input in other apps after working in Windows Sound Settings, then reload Discord and try again.