There are some Windows features that you no longer need on your computer. You could be wondering how to get rid of it since it is a Microsoft program that is running on a Microsoft Windows PC.
Some forums had questions from many users, asking for steps to disable the Click-to-Run service on their computer, as it has been noticed to hog system resources and eventually, make your device lag.
This article will help you disable the Click-to-Run feature on your computer.
What is the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run?
Click-to-Run for Microsoft Office is a streaming and virtualization technology tool that quickens the installation period for the entire MS Office suite. This alternate tool for Windows Installer also supports the user to run multiple versions of Office tools on the same computer, without any issues.
You can also run the Office programs, even before the Office program is installed completely on your PC, with the help of this feature. This tool is also responsible for updating Office apps. Newer updates implement newer security patches, which means that this will keep the stored data safe, on your computer.
The basic idea is that the Office Click-to-Run lets you run Office even before it is installed on your PC. Like most other system programs, there is a chance of this process becoming corrupt. A detailed explanation can be found on the Click-to-Run official website of the
A corrupt MS Office Click-to-run can spike up your CPU usage and can kill your RAM with continuous persistence. If this is your case, your first thought would be to remove this to protect your PC.
Traditionally, this is not possible since it is an installer for Windows software and there are chances of this action causing the corruption of the Office Installation on your computer, permanently. But there are some workarounds to disable this feature so that it can no longer use a large amount of system memory.
Disabling the Office Click-to-Run feature
Since there is no way to uninstall the Click-to-run feature from your computer, the only choice is to disable it so that the high usage issue is not caused by this service on your computer, anymore.
These are the steps to disable this system service on your Windows 10 computer.
- Repair the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run
- Install Office without the Click-to-Run service
- Disable the Click-to-Run feature
- Control Panel
- Services window
- Task Manager
- Remove the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run tool with the help of a third-party uninstallation tool
Methods to remove the Office Click-to-Run
Repair the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run
When you try to uninstall, most applications give you the option of Repairing them, instead of removing them from your computer. Consider trying to fix the situation before getting rid of it. When you repair an application or service, all the files related to the program will be fixed and you’ll have new files. This may not work and if it doesn’t, you will have to use the next procedures.
Follow the below steps to repair the Office Click-to-run product on your computer.
- Open the Control Panel on your computer. There are three ways to launch this window –
- Launch the Run tool (Windows + R), type in control in the Open field, and hit the Enter key or press the Ok button to execute this command.
- Use the search box on the taskbar to find the Control Panel and open this window.
- You can also use the Start menu to find the cpl window and run it.
- If it isn’t set already, you will have to change the view type to Large icons.
- Then, open the Programs and Features settings and locate the Microsoft Office suite from the list of programs on your computer.
- Here, click on the Microsoft Office Home and Student option. This could also be the Home and Business version.
- Now, click Change from the top part of the window.
This will run the setup for the Office program again and this program will be installed on your computer once again, in the same directory as before. Run the program and check if the Click-to-Run process high CPU usage issue still exists. If it persists, proceed with the other steps.
Install Office without the Click-to-Run service
If you did not know about it, there are versions of the Office suite without the Microsoft Office click-to-run service. You will have to uninstall the Office suite and install a version without the Office Click-to-run service.
Use these steps to run the download and install an Office product without theTraditionally, this is not possible Click-to-run service.
- Launch a browser and go to the Microsoft products web page.
- Log into your Microsoft account and locate the Office version that was installed on your computer.
- Select the advanced download settings. Here, there should be a version that does not need the Q: drive. This is the Office product without the Click-to-run feature.
- Click Download and install Office on your computer.
After the Office installation is complete, try working with it. If the issue has not disappeared, let’s get to disabling this streaming and virtualization technology service on your computer.
Disable Click-to-Run through system tools
Special emphasis to this point, the Office Click-to-run feature cannot be uninstalled as it is responsible for keeping MS Office software up-to-date on your computer. As an alternative method, you can disable this Windows service. There are three application windows that can be used to disable the Office Click-to-run service on your Windows 10 computer – Control Panel, Services application, and the Task Manager.
- Launch the Control Panel window and go into the Programs and features settings.
- Go into the Uninstall or change a program option. You will see a list of all the programs that are installed on your computer.
- From this list, locate the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run feature on your phone and click on it.
- Now, select the Uninstall button, which is located below the Uninstall, or change a program.
- In the prompt window that appears, select Yes and this will uninstall all the applications related to the Click-to-Run feature.
- Search for the services application in the search box and open the first search result. You can also open the Run tool (Windows + R) and execute the services.msc command or go to the Administrative tools option in the CPL and open the Services app.
- Navigate to the Microsoft Office ClickToRun Service and right-click on it.
- Select Properties from the context menu and the service properties window will appear on your screen.
- Go to the General tab and draw the Startup type drop-down menu open.
- Choose the Disabled option from the small list and click on the Ok button at the bottom of the window to close this window.
This will prevent the ClickToRun service from starting up when the computer is being booted up and thereby, stop the computer memory from being used. This is only possible because this feature is not a program but a Windows service.
You can also re-enable this feature by setting the Startup type to the default settings.
- Open the Windows Task Manager window (Ctrl + Shift + Esc) with the hotkey shortcut or through the Task Termination window (Ctrl + Alt + Del keys pressed at the same time).
- Go into the Startup tab in the Task Manager and find the Click-to-Run app.
- Click on this feature and select Disable button at the bottom-right part of the screen.
- After this is done, close the open window and restart your computer.
After the restarting, your computer will retain these changes and the issue should not exist anymore.
These are the three different methods to disable or uninstall the Click-to-Run virtualization technology on your Windows 10 PC. This will also stop your Microsoft product from being updated and it is never a good idea to have your software outdated to get maximum performance.
Remove Microsoft Office Click-to-Run with the help of a third-party uninstallation tool
If you are looking towards installing and updating Office streaming technology, you will need the traditional Windows Installer-based tools that accompany the Office products, which are to be downloaded onto your computer. However, to simply uninstall the installed programs, you have a wide range of options. You can use the Add or Remove programs window, or the Programs and features settings in the Control Panel.
There is one more option to uninstall Office Click-to-Run. You can use a third-party program removal tool to remove this application.
These are your methods to disable the Click to Run service on your Windows 10 computer. If the above steps do not work, feel free to consult a professional. We do not recommend disabling this service as this is a very important component of the Windows OS. Only disable this Microsoft streaming feature if you no longer need the streaming capabilities or when this service is using an abnormal amount of RAM.
What is Microsoft Office Click to Run and do I need it?
The MS Office Click-to-Run streaming technology enables users to run Office applications with a single click, even when it is not downloaded on your computer. When a user clicks on an Office app that they want to use but does not have, this service immediately downloads it so that the user can use it.
How do I get rid of Microsoft Office Click to Run?
Windows users can disable the Click-to-Run feature through the Services app, Control Panel, or the Task Manager. You can use third-party program removal tools to delete this tool. If you are looking to fix this issue, you can repair this service or install a version of Office without this service attached.
What is click to run Office?
The Click-to-Run feature is one of the Microsoft products that allow you to run Office applications that are not installed on your PC. This service is also responsible for downloading updates for the newer versions of Office to your computer.
Is Microsoft Office Click to Run a virus?
The Click-to-Run feature is a legit Windows service. But there are chances that viruses and other malware can disguise themselves as this process, in order to avoid detection. You can remove this with the help of a complete system scan.