Snapchat is surely one of the favorite social media apps of smartphone users worldwide. It keeps bringing in new and unique features to lure users.
However, there could be some downsides to these features. One such functionality is that Snapchat allows you to save messages so that you can hold onto them for a longer period.
Snapchat allows you to send funny clips with filters, Bitmoji caricatures, stories, and so on. Usually, once you view a message on Snapchat, it vanishes within a specific time period. The save messages feature allows you to override it.
But, what if you are not comfortable with the recipient saving your sent messages! Maybe, you have sent something stupid or awkward in the heat of the moment and now wish you hadn’t done that.
Although the disappearing messages would have saved you from trouble here, the other person can save your texts and that might be a problem.
Hence, you may be wondering how to delete Snapchat messages the other person saved. This article will tell you all about it and help you out from this confusion.
How To Delete A Snapchat Message?
Let’s start by knowing how to delete a Snapchat message. Now, deleting a Snapchat message is very simple. Log into your Snapchat app and do the following to delete a message on Snapchat:
- Tap on the Chat icon from the lower-left corner
- Keep scrolling until you find the chat that has the message(s) you wish to delete
- Choose the contact with whose chat you want to delete
- Long-press the message and then, you will receive several options which are Save in Chat, Copy, Chat Reply, Snap Reply, and Delete. You need to tap on the Delete option
- If you are using this feature for the very first time, then, a pop-up will show up with the Learn more or OK buttons. You can click on Learn more and then, on OK.
Note: Here, you will get notified that the removal of messages from the Snapchat servers or the recipient’s device might fail if the other person has poor internet connectivity or is using an old version of Snapchat.
- Lastly, you need to confirm your choice when prompted by pressing Delete again.
Note: Keep in mind that the other person will also receive an in-chat notification informing them that you have deleted a message from your Snapchat.
How To Clear A Conversation On Snapchat
Yet another way to delete messages on Snapchat is to clear the entire conversation.
Follow the steps given below to clear an entire conversation you had with a friend:
- Long-press the contact whose chat you want to clear
- Next, tap on More from the pop-up that shows up or the Settings icon.
- Then, tap on Clear Conversation
- Confirm your choice by tapping on Clear
How To Set Automatic Delete Feature For Your Snaps
You might have noticed that when the long-press and the delete button are not available when you send a snap. Unlike other messages, these tend to get automatically deleted after some time. You can control if you want them to get deleted after viewing or after twenty-four hours.
Follow the instructions given below to set the Automatic delete functionality:
- Long press the contact and then, click on More
- Click on Delete Chats
- Tap on After Viewing
- This should set the snaps to get deleted once the receiver has opened and viewed your message.
How To Delete Messages The Other Person Saved
Snapchat is a pretty popular app but unlike other apps, the messages you send on Snapchat won’t stay forever. But, if you want to hold on to some conversations, you can choose to save.
There can be various reasons why you might need the messages longer than they usually stay. To help you with the same, Snapchat developers have added a feature that allows you to save messages.
The saved messages have a grey background. This shows that the message has been saved. Normally, messages stay on Snapchat for 24 hours or 30 days. But, saved messages will stay longer than that and will only be removed if you clear the chat.
However, you also have the choice to un-save the message. To do so, try the following steps:
- Go to the stored chat on your Snapchat
- Long press the saved message and then, tap on ‘Un-save in Chat’
- Long press the message again. Now, you’ll get the following options: Save in Chat, Copy, Snap Reply, Delete. Tap on the Delete option to erase the message from the chat entirely.
- Snapchat will now show three more options which are Delete, Learn More, and Cancel. Tap on the Delete button.
Note: You can tap on the Learn More option to know how Snapchat deletes your texts. It would say that Snapchat attempts to remove the message you just deleted from its servers and also the friend’s device. However, this procedure might not work if the friend has a bad internet connection or is using an old Snapchat version.
How To Recover Deleted Messages On Snapchat
In case you have deleted the messages by mistake, then, you might want to restore them. Recovering the deleted Snapchat messages is possible but requires a couple of extra steps.
If you had saved these messages, then they should stay under your Snapchat contact’s profile. Otherwise, the messaging list will be empty. If that is the case, then, you can download all your data from the Snapchat website. You can do so by following the steps given below:
- Log into your Snapchat account
- Click on the option that says ‘My Data.’
- Click on the Submit Request button to proceed
Note: Keep in mind that only a handful of users had retrieved the deleted messages back which is why we are including this solution.
- Also, there are a couple of third-party applications that can get your lost messages back.
Blocking To Delete The Snapchat Messages Some Other Person Saved
You can also try blocking the other person to delete the messages they saved. Once you block the person, you will notice that the entire chat has disappeared from your Snapchat and that will get reflected for the other person as well.
We agree that this approach can seem like a bit of a stretch. However, if the problem is that intense then you can go for it. Sometimes, when we mistakenly send certain messages that the other person is not supposed to see, that can make us feel very uneasy.
And if they have it saved, that might make the situation even more horrifying. Hence, sometimes, blocking might seem like the best option at hand.
Note: Keep in mind that in order to ensure that this method works, you need to block the recipient within a couple of seconds only. Moreover, it’s better if you could block them without them opening the messages, that would be an even better scenario for you. If you could keep them blocked for an extended period of time, Snapchat will delete the sent messages and snaps if the other person doesn’t see them for a long time. So, you could unblock them later and the messages would vanish by then.
Follow the steps given below to block someone on Snapchat:
- Launch the Snapchat app on your phone and navigate to the chat you are concerned about. Or else, look for the name of the user you want to block via the search feature on the top of the screen.
- Next, look for the person’s profile and tap on it to open it. Then, tap on View Friendship
- Go to the three dots icon from the upper right corner of the screen to open the Snapchat settings. Namely, three options would show up: Report, Block, and Remove friend. You need to choose the Block option to block this person.
- A prompt should show up asking for confirmation to Block the person. Click on it to confirm your choice.
- Once you have blocked someone, the entire conversation you had with them including the saved messages will get deleted from the other person’s Snapchat inbox too.
Delete Snapchat Saved Messages By Deleting Your Snapchat Account
If you are extremely worried about what you shared in the conversation and suppose it is extremely sensitive, then this might be your last resort.
You can submit a request to Snapchat for your account’s deletion and that should get rid of all your Snapchat data from the servers within 30 days. The data getting removed will also include your saved messages on chats and the messages you sent which were saved by someone else.
Use Third-Party Tools To Delete Snapchat Messages The Other Person Saved
You also have the option of using third-party applications such as Snap History Eraser to delete the messages saved by another person. Sometimes, blocking the Snapchat friend or deleting your Snapchat account won’t help you if the messages have already been saved.
A lot of users wish to delete the messages they sent to their Snapchat friends after realizing that they’ve made a mistake or maybe they change their thoughts. The above article gives you detailed instructions on how to delete your messages and different ways of doing so.
However, it’s important to mention that you cannot delete the messages saved by the other person. All you can do in this case is ask the other person to unsave the messages and then, you can delete them.