The world is going digital, and so is that information storing system. Companies and big organizations store their transactional information on databases. A database is a collection of a company’s data or information that is organized and managed by database management software on a computer system.
The function of database management systems is to organize and manage the data on the database. The users and programmers can easily manage, update, and create the information on their database with the help of database management software. Therefore, in this article, we are here with a list of the best database management software that you can choose from for your business.
What is Database Management Software
A database management software helps to store, manage, and manipulate the data in a database environment. Moreover, you as a user can build your own database using a DBMS to enhance your business productivity. Furthermore, the users can interact with their database as the DBMS uses SQL queries. If you are a database administrator, you can use commands on an SQL database to perform the essential instructions. The instructions may be to load, retrieve, or modify the current data that you store on the system.
Features of a Database Management Software
The features of a DBMS are as follows:
- Low data repetition and redundancy- An open-source database allows multiple users to access a single database, which may lead to data repetition. However, a DBMS creates a single data repository to reduce data repetition and redundancy.
- Easy to maintain large databases- Organizations have massive data that they store in large databases. Therefore the basic feature of a DBMS is to manage and maintain massive databases by providing user-based access.
- Security- A DBMS ensures proper security of data on the databases to avoid any cyber attacks or stealing of data. Therefore, the complete access of the database is only with the database administrator and not other users.
- Multi-user support- A DBMS allows multi-user access to the databases. However, the complete access is with the database administrator.
Types of Database Management Software
Types of DBMS are as follows.
- Hierarchical DBMS- This type of DBMS manages and stores the data in a tree-like arrangement. We can define this type as a parent-child relationship, where parents may have multiple children, but a child cannot have multiple parents. Therefore, there are different levels in this type of DBMS.
- Network DBMS- In this type of DBMS, a child may have multiple parents. Therefore, there is an entire chain of users starting from top to bottom.
- Relational DBMS– A relational database is a type of DBMS that has an extensive arrangement for managing the database. It organizes and collects the data in independent tables. You can manipulate the data on the database using SQL commands.
- Object-oriented DBMS- An object-oriented type involves a database as a group of objects, which allows all the users to store values and operations on a database.
Advantages of a Database Management Software
The advantages of a database management system are as follows:
- Easy to share data- The users can easily share data with anyone in the organization. The operators have complete access to a well-organized database, which allows them to share data efficiently.
- Safety- A DBMS ensures proper security protocol to protect the data of the database system. Moreover, there is controlled user access for offering better data confidentiality and safety guidelines.
- Improved data integration- A DBMS allows users to access the integrated view of the company’s data. You can check how the tasks or actions in one division influence other divisions of the organization.
- Improved decision making- Since a DBMS’s function is to manage the organization’s data and information; it allows the users to make timely and accurate decisions for high performance.
Disadvantages of a Database Management Software
Some of the disadvantages of database management software are as follows:
- Adequate training– A database management software may be complex to use because of some complex functionalities. Therefore, there is a need for proper training of employees and end-users.
- Requirement of technical staff– You may require a technical team that has the adequate technical skills to work and handle a database management system.
- Database failure– Since an organization stores all the data on the database, there is always a risk for database failure. This can lead to financial damage for your business as there are chances of loss of valuable data.
- Requirement of huge space– DBMS is huge in size as it is built to handle huge data for organizations. Therefore, there is a requirement for huge space and memory for running its application smoothly.
- Increased cost of software and hardware- since DBMS stores vast amounts of data, you need large space. Additionally, it would help if you had more memory and fast processing power for running the software.
Applications of Database Management Software
The database applications are as follows:
- Sales and marketing
- Economics and finance
- Engineering and manufacturing
- Human resources
How does Database Management Software work?
Database management systems are management tools that allow users to manage the entire data of an organization in a database. The users can easily manipulate, edit, insert and extract the data from the database. The functions of DBMS include concurrency, security, backup and recovery, integrity, and data descriptions.
Who uses Database Management Software?
The users of DBMS are as follows:
- Database administrators- A database administrator has access to the entire database management system.
- Application programmers- Programmers, use different programming languages to write programs to communicate with the database.
- End-users- End users are involved with performing different tasks and communicating with the database, such as updating, deleting, retrieving, and more.
How to choose the right Database Management Software
Here are some things that you need to consider before choosing the right database management software for your database environment.
- User-friendly- You have to make sure that you are selecting a database system that is user- friendly. This means that you must ensure that the DBMS is suitable for everyone in an organization or a company. There are different sets of teams, including the IT department, staff members, marketing professionals, database programmers, and more.
- Safety and security– keeping the information safe and secure should be the priority for any database management software. Therefore, you must ensure that the software that you are choosing keeps your data secure by implementing the proper safety protocols.
- Features and functions– before you select a DBMS, look for the basic features such as insights and analysis, extracting and filtering the data, results in visualization, forecasting the strategy, campaign planning, and ROI management.
- Integration- Another important consideration before choosing a database management system is whether it is able to integrate with other system software such as CRM systems or email marketing platforms. Therefore, you must look for an open-source database management system that you can integrate with several tools and services.
- Scalability- You must consider the scaling capacity before you choose a DBMS. This means you must look for software that has the ability to grow with your data. Your data will likely to increase in the future, and you may need more capacity for storing this data.
- Support and development- You should look for a database management system that offers you good support service and check if the system has any development plans to grow with the emerging technologies.
Top 10 Best Database Management Software
We are listing down the top 10 Database management software that you can choose for your business.
Improvado offers more than 100 integrating tools that you can use for managing your data. This is an excellent software for performance monitoring and has a robust reporting mechanism. You don’t need to be an SQL expert to handle this software.
- You have the flexibility to duplicate and migrate the data.
- This software offers smooth navigational control for high performance.
- Users get backup and recovery options for their data.
- You get accurate insights and reports.
- You can compare metrics side by side for quick business decision making.
- You get alerts for any updates and statuses.
Improvado offers a business package at 100$ per month. For other custom packages, you can refer to the Improvado pricing details.
Microsoft SQL Server is one of the best data management software in the market. The tool offers a free tag, which attracts a large user face worldwide. The latest version of this database management tool was launched in 2016. It comes with custom-built graphical integration, which saves a lot of time. Moreover, this software supports Linux and Windows operating systems.
- You can easily set up a database from scratch by using Microsoft SQL Server.
- You can integrate SQL server with different programs.
- You can use the developer network feature for creating advanced queries.
- You don’t have to use a syntax to create designs, tables or for viewing the data.
For current pricing details, you can check the Microsoft SQL Server pricing details on the official website.
If you are looking for a high-speed data processing and data productivity tool, MYSQL is the right choice. My SQL uses C and C++ languages. It supports both Linux and Windows operating systems. You can use this tool to increase the scalability and security of your database.
- You do not need to know coding or programming to use this tool.
- MY SQL is an open-source tool that allows users to customize the data easily.
- This tool is best suitable for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- You can integrate MY SQL with apache web engines.
- The latest version, 8.0, offers better data recovery and backup features.
Refer to the pricing details MySQL Pricing details here.
4. Amazon RDS
Amazon RDS is known as an amazon relational database service and is one of the best DBMS tools on our list. This software automatically backs up all your data with the help of an in-built feature. Moreover, it provides a secure database, and you can easily set it up.
- You can easily process heavy workloads on a single database.
- You can quickly get access to MySQL, Oracle, and Microsoft SQL databases.
- There are built-in features for backup and recovery of data.
It is a commercial tool, and users can try it for free. However, you may pay for the resources that you use. Check the Amazon RDS Pricing for more details.
5. Oracle RDBMS
One of the widely used object-relational database management software is Oracle RDBMS. This software supports Linux, Windows, and Unix operating systems. Moreover, Oracle RDBMS is an excellent choice as it takes up less space and is able to manage large databases.
- You get advanced data security and data protection features for managing the data on the oracle database.
- You have the option of creating partitions on an oracle database for better administrative control.
- Oracle RDBMS runs on Unix, Linux, or Windows versions.
It is open-source software; to know about the price or the cost structure, you can refer to the Oracle RDBMS pricing details.
As the name suggests, Microsoft access only supports windows operating systems. You can easily create custom databases for your business in several formats. This software is widely used by many e-commerce websites.
- You can get access to office suite packages like Word, Excel, and outlook.
- This data management system is pretty affordable for users.
- There are custom templates that you choose.
To know about the price, you can refer to the Microsoft Access pricing details on the website.
It is one of the best open-source DBMS software that comes with excellent data management tools that allow users to design, develop, and perform various functions for enhanced database performance. SQL developer takes less time for executing multiple queries as compared to other software. Moreover, you can generate queries in multiple formats such as PDF, HTML, XML, or EXCEL.
- SQL Developer supports Windows and Linux operating systems.
- You have the option of migrating your database modeling solution to third-party databases.
- You can run end-to-end database applications using this program.
SQL developer is free to use for all users.
PostgreSQL is an open-source tool that allows users to easily import and export data from multiple databases. This program supports Python and JSON programming languages. It allows fast data sharing through the dashboard and ensures data security as data is stored on a database server, and there may be risks of cyberattacks.
- You can store high volumes of data.
- PostgreSQL allows secure data processing.
- It supports Linux and Windows operating systems.
- This software is suitable for organizations dealing with big data.
PostgreSQL is an open-source tool and is free of cost.
9. IBM DB2
The latest version of IBM DB2 runs queries faster than any other program. It is easy to use and install. Moreover, it supports multiple versions of Linux, Unix, and windows. Furthermore, it supports most of the data science languages for handling complex or simple frameworks.
- It is easy to use and install.
- IBM DB2 provides AI-dedicated features for managing complex and huge data.
- It runs on Linux, Unix, and windows.
IBM DB2 offers the community version for free. However, the standard edition starts at 1850$, and the advanced edition is 7800$. You can refer to the complete IBM DB2 pricing details to know more.
Altibase is an open-source tool that provides high-level data processing speeds for better database performance. Moreover, it has the feature of storing a large volume of data on a single disk as it has an in-memory database portion.
- Altibase is a hybrid database management software that comes with high data processing speeds.
- It provides scale-out technology, sharding, and more.
Altibase is an open-source tool that is free of cost.
We hope you liked our top 10 list of database management software. You can easily select any one of the DBMS from the list for better database performance and efficiently manage large volumes of data for your business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is the best database management software?
You can easily select any DBMS from the list given in this article. The top ones on our list are Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, and more.
Why is DBMS expensive?
Most of the database management systems are pretty expensive because of high hardware cost as it requires a large disk for storing large chunks of data. Moreover, you may need extra storage for storing more data, which further exceeds the hardware costs.
How to maintain a database?
Here are few things to follow for maintaining your database.
Ensure that you are keeping all your data in one central program or file.
Keep updating your database by adding new information and keeping it up to date.
Allows users to add data directly and not to save it elsewhere.
Use previous successful strategies in current campaigns.
Provide clear insights about your data on the database using simple tables, names, descriptions, etc.
Is SQL a database?
SQL is the short form of the structured query language. It is a computer language that is used to store, manipulate, and retrieve data that you store in a relational database. All relations database management systems use SQL such as MYSQL, MS Access, Oracle, SQL Server, and more.