Google Docs is a web-based application that manages and arranges text documents in the order of entry and synchronicity. It is generally used to type in content and edit the previously entered content. This application requires the internet to function. Though it can be adjusted to work in offline conditions as well.
This application is connected to Google Drive and is powered by the Google engine. Like every other advanced word processing application, this software also allows the users to adjust the content and the way it is presented in. The margins of the document are one big factor that determines how the content turns up to be.
Margins are the intangible boundaries that prevent the text from going off-limits. A small misalignment in the margin can make big changes in the appearance of the content. It can pull words on and off the line and change the order of presentation (the output). This article is all about margins and how to adjust them.
Changing Margins In Google Docs
There are a couple of ways to set the margin in Google Docs. You can use the ruler to adjust it or you can set the margins using the Page Setup option. Using the margin ruler is the simplest but less accurate method. The page setup method is precise.
How to change the margins in Google Docs using the ruler
This is how you change the margins using the ruler in Google Docs.
- If your ruler isn’t enabled, type in ruler in the search bar. In the results, you’ll see the show ruler setting. Click on it to enable it.
- The above setting will enable the rulers. You will, now, see them on the top and the left side of the document.
- Move your mouse pointer over the gray region, in the ruler. The point till which the gray region extends is the place on the page, from which the text starts. When the pointer hovers over the gray region, it changes into a double-headed arrow pointer.
You’ll see a vertical or horizontal blue line, depending on whether the ruler is on top or on the left of the document. This gives you a preview of where the
- Now, right-click and drag the mouse, horizontally, while holding the button. The vertical ruler on the left can be adjusted the same way, except the mouse has to be clicked and dragged, vertically.
How to change the margins in Google Docs using “Page Setup”
- Click on the File menu and select Page Setup, from the drop-down menu.
- In the page setup menu window, there is a category dedicated to Margins. You can adjust it by entering the values you want.
- Tap Ok, when you’re satisfied with the values of the margins.
How to Change Paragraph Margins In Google Docs
You can also change the margins of a single paragraph too. This is how to do it.
- When you enable the ruler, you can see two blue, down-facing arrows on the ruler.
- These arrows are the active margins for the paragraph. Click and drag them as you desire, to change the paragraph margins.
How to Change Margins for One Page in Google Docs
You can’t change the margins for just one page for Google Docs. When you change the margin, it applies to every page in the document. It is impossible to have different margins for each page in Google Docs.
How to Change Margins In Google Docs App for iPhone or iPad
- Download the Google Docs on your iPhone or iPad, from the app store.
- Open the Menu and touch the Page Setup sub-menu.
- Choose Margins and make your choice between custom, wide (2 inches on left and right), default (1 inch on all sides), or narrow (half an inch margins on all sides).
How to Change Margins In Google Docs App on Android
Google Docs for Android doesn’t let users adjust their document or paragraph margins. But there is an alternative.
- Open a previously existing file or a new one.
- The pencil icon is the edit menu. Touch it. Various editing tools will appear.
- In the menu, on the top right part of the screen, select the Page Setup option.
- You’ll see the settings to change the orientation, page size and the color of the page.
- Changing the page orientation can give your document different margins.
The Print Layout Method
- In the menu, turn the Print Layout switch on
- You’ll be able to see how the document would be printed. You can also edit the document in this layout.
Unlock a Google Doc for Editing
This needs to be done, only when you do not enjoy editing rights to a Google doc and only preview the document.
- Open the document, which was sent to you for viewing.
- There is the Request Edit Access option on the upper right part of the document window. Click on it.
- In the pop-up window, ask the owner of the document to provide editing privileges to you. Click send.
An acknowledgment stating that the request has been sent will appear.
Google Docs is fast becoming one of the best word processing documents. There are many reasons for it, like Google docs can be used offline without an internet connection, easier to share with multiple people, collaborate on one document which avoids rework, etc. Hope this article helped you to make better use of your Google docs formatting skills.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to set the top, bottom, left, and right margins?
There are multiple steps, depending on the device, through which all the margins of a document can be adjusted. The common way in all devices is the Page layout method. The user needs to navigate to the Page Layout menu, through which they can change the margins, along with the orientation and size of the page.
Can you lock margins in Google Docs?
There can never be a circumstance where one has to lock the margin in a Google Document. But if you are looking to prevent other viewers from editing your document. You can always restrict access to just viewing when you share the document link with them.
How to make all margins in Google Docs equal?
Open the page layout option and you’ll see the spaces where you can enter the values of the margins. For the given condition, you have to enter the same value for all margins. Here, the margin length for all margins is one inch each, so that they are equal.
The default margins for the pages on Google Docs can be adjusted to accommodate the needs of the user. Changing the margins can make drastic changes in the appearance of the document. This piece of information can help you write better-looking articles, letters, or any other kind of content.
Margins are important for certain professional documents. And if you create those documents with Google Docs, this is how you adjust your margins under these circumstances.