Instagram has many features that make sharing easy on the platform. One of them is resharing someone’s post as a story. But if you can’t share post to Instagram story or you can’t see the option altogether, follow the listed solutions to fix the issue.
- The account type of the post owner is private
- Sharing permission is disabled by the post owner
- The post is not public
- Your account type is private
- Instagram bugs
- You’re logged in to multiple accounts
- Outdated Instagram app
- There is no internet connectivity
- Instagram might have disabled the feature for you
Before trying the solutions, ensure that you’re connected to the internet. Moreover, reboot your phone to see if it fixes the problem. If not, try these fixes:
- Set Your Account Type to Public
- Turn Off and On the ‘Allow Sharing to Story’ Option
- Scroll Down Your Sharing List
- Clear Cache of the Instagram App
- Update Instagram
- Uninstall Instagram and Reinstall It
- Report the Problem to Instagram
- Use Another Phone
- Request the Account Owner to Make the Account Public or Enable the Sharing to Story Option from Their End
- Take a Screenshot of the Post
- Use a Third-Party Website or App
1. Set Your Account Type to Public
In case ‘Add post to story’ is missing from the options, check your account type. Because private accounts can’t share Instagram stories this way. Only public accounts can share posts to story. Here’s how to check and change your Instagram account type:
- Open the Instagram app and tap your profile picture at the bottom right corner.
- Tap the three horizontal lines at the top right.
- Pick ‘Settings’.
- Choose ‘Privacy’.
- You’ll see the ‘Private Account’ option and a toggle next to it. Make sure that it’s off. If it’s on, turn it off.
2. Turn Off and On the ‘Allow Sharing to Story’ Option
Some users reported that they refreshed the ‘Allow Sharing to Story’ option on their Instagram account, and then they could share the post to the story. This option allows other people to share your posts as stories for clarity. But refreshing this is reported to make the sharing to story option appear for you as well. Perform these steps:
- Open Instagram and tap your display picture at the bottom right.
- Select the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines).
- Choose ‘Settings’ from the menu.
- Select ‘Privacy’.
- From the account privacy menu, go to ‘Story’.
- Toggle off ‘Allow sharing to story’.
- Close the Instagram app. Swipe up from the bottom on iPhone and iPad, choose the Instagram app, and swipe it up to close it. For Android, tap the rectangle button, choose the Instagram app, and swipe it up.
- After this, perform the above steps again.
Move to the next solution if this doesn’t fix the problem.
3. Scroll Down Your Sharing List
If you can’t find the ‘Add post to your story’ option, scroll down your friend’s list, and reach the end to see if the option is there. Users that don’t post stories much may experience this. The share to story option goes to the bottom of the list.
- Open Instagram and tap the share button (paper airplane button) on the post you want to share your story.
- You’ll see a list of your friends who you can send the post. Swipe down and find ‘Add post to your story’ at the end of the list.
4. Clear Cache of the Instagram App
If you’re using Instagram for a long time, it may have saved many temporary files known as a cache. When they’re corrupted, the app doesn’t function properly. Android phones have the option to clear the cache of an app.
If you want to clear an app’s cache on an iPhone or iPad, you have the only option to uninstall it completely. Follow these steps to clear the cache of your Instagram app on Android devices:
- Open Settings.
- Select ‘Apps & notifications’.
- Tap ‘See all apps’.
- Find and select ‘Instagram’.
- Choose ‘Storage & cache’.
- Tap ‘Clear Cache’.
If the sharing option doesn’t appear, follow the same steps and select ‘Clear Data’ in the last step. This will delete your preferences and log you out of the app.
5. Update Instagram
If you can’t see the add post to story option, consider updating your app to the latest version.
Update Instagram on iPhone and iPad
- Open App Store.
- Tap your profile picture at the top of the screen.
- Swipe down to see the section ‘Available Updates’. Under it, you’ll find the apps that have updates. Tap ‘Update’ next to Instagram if it’s on the list.
Update the Instagram App on Android Phones
- Open Google Play Store.
- Tap your profile picture at the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose ‘Manage apps & device’.
- Select ‘See details’ under ‘Updates Available’.
- Find Instagram in the list and tap ‘Update’ next to it.
6. Uninstall Instagram and Reinstall It
When clearing cache and updating the app don’t solve the problem, we recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the app. This can fix many issues.
Reinstall Instagram on iPhone
- Long-press the Instagram app and select ‘Remove App’.
- Choose ‘Delete App’ and confirm.
- Open Apple App Store.
- Search Instagram and install it.
Uninstall and Reinstall Instagram on Android
- Tap and hold on to the Instagram app icon.
- Select ‘Uninstall’ and confirm.
- Open Google Play Store.
- Search and install Instagram.
7. Report the Problem to Instagram
Many users shared that they couldn’t reshare post to Instagram story but when they reported the problem to Instagram, it was solved in a few days. You should also report the issue to Instagram from the app to see if they fix the issue for you.
- Open Instagram and tap your profile picture from the News Feed.
- Select the three horizontal lines and choose ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘Help’ from the menu.
- Pick ‘Report a problem’.
- A small list would appear. Select ‘Report a problem’.
- Type the issue and tap ‘Submit’.
8. Use Another Phone
In some cases, an app issue happens for a specific operating system. You can try switching to iOS from Android and vice versa. If the problem is solved, the problem was an Instagram app’s bug on the operating system.
If the issue is present on the other phone too then, it could still be an Instagram app issue or there could be another reason and you should try other fixes listed in this guide.
9. Request the Account Owner to Make the Account Public or Enable the Sharing to Story Option from Their End
One of the main reasons why you can’t see the post resharing option on Instagram for a specific post is that the account owner has disabled the resharing option. Moreover, if an account is private and they share a post, you can’t share that post to the story.
But how to check this? If the share to story option isn’t visible for a post, try to reshare other posts from other people, if you can share those, then that post is private, or the resharing is turned off.
So, if you want to share that post, you can ask the account owner to make their account public and allow resharing. You can also request them to send that image or video in the post to your DM.
10. Take a Screenshot of the Post
If you can’t share a post to a story and it’s a photo, we have a workaround. Take a screenshot of it and then upload it as a story on Instagram. Press the volume up and power buttons at the same time to take a screenshot on an iPhone. For Android phones, press the volume down and power buttons.
Optional: If you can, edit the screenshot and add the username of the profile from where you took the screenshot.
11. Use a Third-Party Website or App
Many online tools can help you get an Instagram post. Search on Google and select a website. You can also search on the App Store or Google Play Store for a related app. Once you’ve selected a website or app, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram and select the post you want to share to story and tap the three dots at the top right corner of the post.
- Tap ‘Link’ to copy the link of the post.
- Now, open the website or app you selected and paste the link on it.
- This will provide you with a link to get the post to your phone.
- Open Instagram again and tap your profile picture to create a story when done.
- Select the post you just got and upload it.
If the ‘Add post to your story’ option is not visible for you, make your account public, turn on posts resharing on your end, and update the Instagram app. If not, take a screenshot or use third-party apps for getting the post.
At one point, Instagram pushed the Reshare Stickers, but the ‘Share post to story’ option is back. You can use it by tapping the share icon (paper airplane) and then selecting ‘Add post to your story’.
How Do You Repost A Story You Are Mentioned In On Instagram?
To repost a story you’re mentioned on Instagram, open the conversation where you can see the message and tap ‘Add this to your story’.
You can’t share a story you’re not tagged in. If you’re sure you’re mentioned in the story and you can’t share it, find out that the story is still live on that profile. Because you can only share a story, you’re tagged in when the original story is still visible. So, if 24 hours have passed, you may not be able to reshare it.
Why Can’t My Friend Repost My Story On Instagram?
If your friend can’t repost your story on Instagram, check if your account is private because posts of private accounts can’t be reshared. To check this out, navigate to the Instagram app > profile picture > hamburger icon > Settings > Privacy.
Moreover, check if you’ve enabled the ‘Allow sharing to story’ option. Open the Instagram app > profile picture > three horizontal lines > Settings > Privacy > Story > Allow sharing to story.