It doesn’t matter how much in-built storage space your beloved iPhone comes with. You’re bound to receive the low storage popup if you’re someone who doesn’t monitor their device’s storage space.
Lack of sufficient free space hampers your iPhone’s performance and prevents you from downloading new applications. Thus, you’d develop a habit of deleting unwanted or rarely used apps from your device.
But sometimes, you can’t delete apps on iphone is undoubtedly frustrating. Fortunately, this is not a severe condition for which you need to take the device to the Apple Store.
This article will explain to you all the possible reasons why you can’t delete apps on the iPhone and the top fixes. But before everything else, the main and first question is why you can’t delete apps on the iPhone.
Why Can’t I Delete Apps On My iPhone?
If you have used an iPhone in the past as well, then deleting or installing apps might be the easiest task. But in some exceptional situations, you might face some issues while deleting apps on your iPhone. Below are some of such cases.
1. The App Comes In-built Or Is Non-Removable
All the third-party apps can be easily deleted from your iPhone, but it is not possible to delete the non-removable apps from your device. You can hide these applications, but deleting them is not possible.
2. Screen Time Restrictions
The screen time restrictions feature was introduced in the iPhone to restrict the time you spend on your device. But it can also cause hindrance in deleting your apps on your iPhone. You need to check if you have mistakenly done by yourself or if someone else has enabled it on your device.
3. MDM Restrictions
MDM stands for “Mobile Device Management.” If your iPhone is provided by someone else, for example, an administrator, you might not be able to delete some apps on your device.
As for this, you need to take permission or have administrator rights to complete the process. Otherwise, hiding is the option always available on your iPhone.
4. Incomplete Application Download
In the case the app you wish to delete is not installed completely due to the internet or technical issues, you won’t be able to delete that particular app.
There can be some other issues as well with your iPhone, but all of the above ones are the most commonly experienced. As mentioned in the first case, some in-built apps can’t be deleted on iPhone (or any device.)
It is important to understand what these apps are so that you won’t waste your time trying to delete them.
List Of Built-in Apps You Can’t Delete On Your iPhone.
Built-in Apps are the applications that are already present on your device. You don’t have to install them, and they can’t be deleted in any situation. All you need to use these apps is to sign up or just start using them.
Below is the list of Built-in Apps you can’t delete on your iPhone:
You very well know what this app is used for. You can use the app by just clicking on its icon. It comes pre-installed on every device.
This application is used to check the time, set alarms, timers, or as a stopwatch. You can identify this app easily as the logo of this app is a regular Clock.
3. Settings App
The settings app is also an important app on your device. You can change or set the setting of your entire device from this single built-in service.
4. App Store
Similar to the Google Play Store on Android handsets, iOS devices have this App Store serving the similar purpose of installing third-party apps. All you need to do is search for them and install them.
5. Find My
The Find My app is extremely helpful in case you lose any of your iOS devices. It will help you in finding that device with the help of a map and different sounds.
This app keeps a record of your health from the data collected from other apps and iOS devices. For example, it counts your steps, running distance, heart rate, and more.
This is the original app used for texting. You can text people on this app.
The phone app is another non-removable app present on your iPhone. It’s the same app through which you make calls.
Once you click a mesmerizing photo with your iPhone’s clear camera, it gets stored in the Photos app. You can simply find any picture you have on your device in this app.
Hence, you should not try to delete any of the above-mentioned apps. Yes, you can hide them from the home screen so that you won’t see them again and again. Note that there may be other pre-installed apps on your iPhone that you can’t delete, including the Calendar and Mail.
Can’t Delete Apps On iPhone? Here Are The Top 10 Fixes!
In the previous section, we discussed all the reasons why you can’t delete apps on iPhone. Let’s now understand how to fix this problem without seeking any professional aid.
1. Restart Your iPhone
There is nothing that can be treated by restarting your iPhone. Hence, if you can’t delete apps on iPhone, the first thing you should try is to restart the iPhone.
Follow these steps to restart your iPhone.
- Press and hold the volume down button and the side button simultaneously for a few seconds.
- The Power Off slider will appear on your screen.
- Drag the slider.
- Wait for a few seconds for your iPhone to turn off.
- To turn it on, long press the side button and wait for the Apple logo to appear on the screen.
Check if you’re able to delete the unwanted apps from your device. If not, try to reset all settings as discussed below.
2. Reset All Settings
This is another common solution to all the problems you are facing with your iPhone. Hence, you can always reset all settings on your device, but you need to remember that it will clear your entire system except media and data on your device.
To reset all settings of your iPhone, follow these steps.
- Launch your iPhone.
- Tap on the gear icon to open your device’s Settings.
- Tap on General.
- Scroll down to the Reset your iPhone option.
- Next, select the Reset option.
- Lastly, tap on Reset All Settings.
You’ve successfully reset the device settings. You must now be able to delete the apps you were previously unable to.
3. Sign Out Of Apple ID And Sign Back In
If the above fixes don’t work for you, we recommend signing out of your Apple ID and signing back in. And it is also safer than the last reset all settings option. As with this fix, you won’t be losing any settings, data, or anything on your device. For this, you need to follow the step mentioned below.
- Open your iPhone.
- Tap on the gear icon to open your device’s Settings.
- There’ll be an Apple ID banner on top of the screen. Tap on it.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen next. Then, tap on the Sign Out option.
- You’ll be asked whether you want to keep a copy of your data.
- You’ll be signed out.
- Lastly, you need to fill up the Apple ID and password to sign back in.
Just to be extra safe before signing out of Apple ID, turn on all the toggle options.
4. Delete App From The Settings
If you don’t know or aren’t aware of it, you can directly delete the apps from the settings if you’re unable to do so by other means. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open your iPhone.
- Tap on the gear icon to open the Settings.
- Tap on the General option.
- Then, select the iPhone storage option.
- You’ll see the entire list of your installed apps. Select the app you want to delete.
- Last, tap on the Delete App option to delete that app.
With this fix, you can also check your device’s storage a particular application acquires. And when you delete your app by this method, all of the data is also deleted along with it.
5. Delete Apps On Home Screen
This might be the easiest fix of all. And you can do it easily without any difficulty. Follow these steps to delete apps from the home screen.
- Go to your iPhone’s home screen.
- Tap and hold on to the app you want to delete.
- Multiple options will appear on the screen. Tap on the Remove App option.
- Tap on the Delete App for confirmation.
And that’s it; your app will be deleted.
6. Delete Apps From The App Store
You can also delete apps directly from the App Store. This can be done by following the steps mentioned below.
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Tap on the upper right corner of the profile icon to go to your account.
- You’ll see the list of all the apps on top with the ones that need to be updated.
- Check the app you want to delete. Then, slide it to the left. The Delete option will appear on the right side of the app’s name. Tap on it.
- A prompt will appear on the screen to confirm the action.
- Again tap on Delete’. And your app will be deleted.
7. Delete Apps On App Library
Another way to delete apps on an iPhone is by deleting them on App Library. All you need to do is follow the given steps.
- Go to the App Library.
- Tap and hold on to the app you want to delete.
- You’ll see multiple options on the screen. Select the Delete app option.
- Tap on Delete to confirm your action. The selected app will get deleted from your device.
8. Remove Restrictions For Deleting Apps And Remove Screen Time Restrictions
If your iPhone has a restriction on deleting certain or all apps on your device, it is not possible to delete or uninstall that app. It is also known as Screen Time Restriction. You might not have done it intentionally, but you may have made such settings accidentally. In case none of the fixes are working for you to delete the app, all you need to do is follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on the Screen Time option.
- Tap on Content and Privacy Restrictions and select iTunes and App Store Purchases.
- You need to check whether you have allowed the Deleting apps.
- And in case it is not allowed, you need to tap on it and allow it.
You must be able to delete apps on your iPhone. If you still can’t delete apps on iPhone, try the next method.
9. Delete Apps With Spotlight (For iOS 15 Only)
- Search for the app name on the Spotlight on your iOS 15.
- The app icon should appear on the screen. Tap on the icon.
- There should be an option of Delete App on the screen. Tap on that.
- Again tap on Delete to confirm your action.
And your app will be deleted with this.
The only disadvantage of this fix is that it won’t work on the older version of the iPhones.
10. Update Your iPhone To The Latest iOS Version
You might not need to use this fix in most cases. As of now, with the help of the above fixes, you might have solved your issue. But still, just in case anything won’t work, update your device’s software. For this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on the General.
- Then, select the System Update option.
In case there is any update available on the iPhone, it will show here. Tap on the available update to install it.
Trying To Delete An App That’s Still Downloading? Cancel Download Instead
All of the above fixes will only work if the app is already installed on your iPhone. If you are installing the app and change your mind and want to delete it, then, rather than deleting it, you need to cancel the download instead.
To cancel the download, you need to press and hold the app icon that is still installed. Few options will appear on the screen. There won’t be the option of deleting it. But you need to tap on the Cancel Download option.
As soon as you click on this option, the download will be canceled, and the app will not be installed.
So, here you go. This article has covered why you can’t delete apps on your iPhone to its quick fixes. This is a very general issue that can arise anytime on your iPhone, iPad or Mac. Just try the fixes mentioned above, and still, if nothing works, most probably there is an issue with your software.
For this, you should immediately take your iPhone to the Apple Care Store. Do not change or tamper with any settings of the device, as it might just worsen the situation.
Also, when you download or install any third-party app, do it cautiously as if the app has some virus or anything, it can cause serious damage to your device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why won’t my apps delete on my iPhone iOS 14?
There can be many reasons why your apps won’t delete your iPhone iOS 14. Some of them can be that you have restricted the deleting of the apps on your phone, you are trying to delete built-in apps, or there are MDM restrictions, etc. You can try the fixes mentioned above to solve this issue.
What are the apps that I can’t uninstall?
Apps that you cannot uninstall mostly include the system apps. They are already present on your device. You don’t need to install them; hence, they cannot be uninstalled. Some of these apps are Message, Phone, Settings, Health, Find My, Camera, Photos, and more.
The app is still not installed. How can I delete it?
If the app is not installed on your device, you cannot delete it. The app needs to be installed first, and then you can delete it.
The apps aren’t downloading. What should I do?
If you’re unable to install apps on your iPhone, check if it’s compatible with the iOS operating system or not. Next, check if your device is connected to an active Wi-Fi connection or cellular data.