Minecraft is nothing less than a fantastic place to live. And if there is one sure thing, it is that people adore Minecraft. Gamers love this sandbox, whether they’re learning about the best Minecraft Trident enchantments or how to plant and grow Minecraft crops.
There is some risk, but the game is whimsical and entertaining enough to make it worthwhile. Sadly, innovation has not progressed far enough to permit this, but other ways are to enjoy the game.
One such way is to play Minecraft on Oculus Quest 2. This article will answer the most common question in everyone’s mind – can you play Minecraft in Oculus Quest 2? So, let’s start.
Can you play Minecraft on oculus quest 2?
The VR headset has a native edition of Minecraft Bedrock Edition, but Minecraft isn’t accessible for Quest or Quest 2. You can still play Minecraft on this console, but only until you get a VR-ready PC and a connection cable.
Can I Play Both Editions Of Minecraft on Quest 2?
On Oculus Quest 2, all editions of Java and Bedrock are open. It will merely be played on a desktop, with the VR experience being broadcasted to the device.
However, Java Edition makes this a little more complicated. Bedrock is VR-friendly, but Java isn’t. It’s still possible, but Minecraft for Windows 10 makes it more accessible.
While you can play both editions of Minecraft in VR in Oculus Quest 2, some processes have differences. Like Steam Games on the Quest 2, Minecraft will operate on your PC and be simulcast to your Quest 2. On Quest 2, you can start to play Minecraft VR versions:
Minecraft Bedrock Edition
The Minecraft Bedrock version, also renowned as Minecraft for Windows 10, has a plug-and-play functionality that you will enjoy. The bedrock version is already VR-ready, so you can quickly get this up to speed.
You can either buy it from the Microsoft/Minecraft Store or have it added to your Xbox Game Pass library. On the other hand, The Bedrock Edition has its own set of flaws.
One major drawback is that you cannot modify it like the Java edition, which may be a dilemma for some gamers if you want a more straightforward way to play Minecraft VR on the Quest 2, download Minecraft for Windows and continue reading.
Minecraft Java Edition
The Minecraft Java Edition is significantly more configurable than its equivalent – Bedrock Edition. Oculus Quest 2 users may prefer this version because it contains more physical VR actions. The Java edition does not natively support operating in VR, so that it will take a little longer.
The Java edition, like Bedrock, can be bought from the Microsoft Store or would be included in your Xbox Game Pass library. So go ahead and purchase Minecraft Java Edition ($26.95) before reading.
Minecraft VR Controls on Oculus Quest 2
The Oculus Quest 2 (aka Meta Quest 2) is the best VR headset for almost everyone these days. The $299 headset allows you to play virtual reality games while sitting or walking. It can be used as a standalone device or tethered to your PC to play PC-based VR games via a wired USB connection or Wi-Fi, which Oculus refers to as AirLink.
There are three ways to play Minecraft VR on Oculus Quest 2. The best one is to use QuestCraft, an unofficial port of Minecraft Java that runs as a standalone app on the headset and supports a variety of mods and room-scale tracking.
That being said, it can be blocked by Mojang at any time.
How to Play Minecraft Bedrock on Quest 2?
With everything being said, let’s now understand how to play Minecraft Bedrock edition on Oculus Quest 2.
- Essentials To Play Minecraft Bedrock On Quest 2
You would need two things to play Minecraft Bedrock on Quest 2. These are discussed below.
- Oculus Link Set-Up and Paired
The official software from Meta for playing PC games on the Quest 2 link is beneficial. Oculus Link will be used to stream Minecraft onto your PC. So, before you go any further, please read the above guide and pair it with your Quest 2.
- Installed Copy Of Minecraft Bedrock
Naturally, you’ll need the game itself installed on your computer before you can begin. As a result, go ahead and download Minecraft Bedrock/Minecraft for Windows and run it at least once. You can find Minecraft for Windows on the Microsoft Store or your Xbox Game Pass library.
How to Enable Unknown Sources on Oculus Link?
To enable Unknown Sources on Oculus Link, do the following steps.
- On your PC, launch the Oculus Link app.
- Locate and click the Settings button in the left sidebar.
- To access the General tab’s settings, click on it.
- Finally, toggle on the Unknown Sources button.
Launch Minecraft Bedrock On The Quest 2
Here are the simple steps to launch Minecraft Bedrock on Quest 2.
- Make sure your Guardian boundary for Quest 2 is ready to use. For maximum movement, a standing border is recommended. However, sitting is acceptable if you’re doing this with a short wire.
- Open Oculus Link on your computer and check that your headset is connected. If your Quest 2 asks for permission, enable Oculus Link.
- From your headset, go to Oculus Link and open the interface.
- Use the Oculus Link Desktop control or your PC to launch our created shortcut.
- Put on your headset and wait a minute or two before looking around.
How to Play Minecraft Java Edition on Quest 2?
Here’s how to play the Java version of Minecraft on Quest 2.
- Essentials to Play Minecraft Java Edition on the Quest 2
You would need two things to play Minecraft Java Edition on Quest 2. These are discussed below.
- Pair And Set Up The Oculus Link
One of the prerequisites for this method, as previously stated, is the official Oculus Link software. Playing Minecraft Java and streaming it to your Quest 2 will be required. To install it, refer to the Steam guide in the previous section.
- Install Java
Before installing anything else, you’ll need to have the Java client installed on your computer. In other words, Java is a programming language that will enable us to run Minecraft Java in virtual reality. But don’t worry, it will involve no programming. Download and install Java (it’s free).
- Install The Official Minecraft Java Edition
Before installing anything else from the list, you should install the official Minecraft Java edition. This installation is the most important because we will require the game itself. You can purchase the game ($26.95) from the Microsoft/Minecraft Store or find it in your Xbox Game Pass library. So go ahead and set it up before continuing.
- Vivecraft 4
Vivecraft is a mod that makes it simple to run Minecraft Java in virtual reality. This is an essential step in the process, so make sure you download and install it first. YOU can download Vivecraft’s most recent mod from the Vivecraft Downloads (Free) page.
- Steam and Steam VR
Steam and the official SteamVR application are also required to launch Minecraft VR on your Quest 2. This will assist you in resolving any compatibility issues you may have. Download and install Steam (free) and SteamVR (free) on your PC.
How to Enable Unknown Sources on Oculus Link?
You’ll also need to enable unknown sources in the Oculus Link software as a precautionary measure to ensure Minecraft Java runs smoothly. You can discover how to do this by scrolling up and searching for the same name.
Launching Minecraft Java on the Quest 2
While the Bedrock Edition is readily compatible with the Quest 2, running the Java Edition of the game gets a bit complicated.
You will need to install the Oculus Link app, SteamVR, the Java Edition installed, the Vivecraft mod required to run Minecraft on your headset, and the Java client required to program and run the title.
- Open the PC Oculus App
- Choose the Airlink Interface on your device by pressing the Oculus button on your suitable controller.
- Open the virtual desktop through the Monitor Icon
- Choose Minecraft under the Vivecraft tab.
- Select play and enjoy!
How To Play Minecraft In VR On The Quest Without A PC?
To the delight of many hardcore Minecraft fans, fans can play the game on the Quest without needing a wallet-tearing, top-of-the-line PC. A team of independent developers released a completely unofficial port.
It is a full port of the 1.18 that allows you to retrieve access to your existing worlds and select fabric mods. The port also supports cross-platform multiplayer and motion controls.
While the setup is a bit complicated, these steps should help you out setting up the port:
- Use the free program SideQuest to download and install the APK file and the PC VR dropdown menu to download the zip file. Before you begin, make sure your account is set to developer mode. This is a completely free method. Create a developer account on the official Oculus website and enable developer mode in your Oculus app’s settings.
- Unzip the zip file you downloaded earlier and drag the “Android” folder into your Quests internal storage to merge and replace the existing files after installing the file. Put your headset on and navigate to your library after the files have finished transferring.
- Select “PojavLauncher” from the Unknown Sources folder in the dropdown menu in the upper right corner. After that, you’ll be prompted to sign in to your Minecraft account.
- By clicking the settings option in the bottom left corner, select the “Renderer” option at the top of the page once you’ve logged in. Select the third option from the list to return to the main menu.
- Last but not least, select “fabric-loader-0.12.12.1.18.1” from the game version option, located at the bottom of the menu to the left of the play button. You can now start the game by pressing the play button.
The great news is that you can play Minecraft on Quest in a few different ways. The sad fact is that none of them are flawless — Microsoft has yet to release a standalone version of the game for Quest 2.
You can play some versions of Minecraft on your Quest, but the procedures are slightly different. If you don’t have either version yet, you’ll need to buy one or the other before starting your quest.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to Play Minecraft On Oculus Quest 2?
On the Oculus Quest 2, there are three ways to enjoy Minecraft in virtual reality, each with its setup procedure. QuestCraft, an informal port of Minecraft Java that continues to run as a separate app on the headset and supports a wide range of mods and room-scale tracking, is the most recent (and likely best) method.
However, because it’s an unsanctioned port, Mojang could tear it or restrict it at any time.
Why isn’t Minecraft working on my PC?
Minecraft will not work if your device drivers are outdated or corrupt, particularly your graphics card driver. The graphics driver allows your computer to display the game correctly. However, it is not always the graphics driver to blame; the culprit could be an old sound card driver or a network adapter driver.
How to play Minecraft on Quest without a PC?
Thanks to an unofficial port developed by a group of independent developers, You can now play Minecraft on the Meta Quest and Meta Quest 2 even without a costly VR-ready PC. This is a complete port of Minecraft 1.18, giving you access to all of your existing worlds and some fabric mods.
Motion controls are also supported, as well as cross-platform multiplayer.