Omegle is a text and video chat platform. The reason for its popularity is that you can chat with any random person without disclosing your name, phone, or email. If you are not able to video chat because Omegle can’t detect your camera, this guide is for you. Learn why you are seeing the ‘Error with camera’ message on Omegle and how to solve it?
Fixes for Why Is My Camera Not Working on Omegle on Computer, iPhone, iPad, and Android Phone
For a quick solution to the problem, try Fix 1 and 2. If they don’t solve the problem, implement the fixes listed below one by one.
- Restart Your Computer or Phone
- Switch to Another Web Browser
- Use Another App to Test and Check for Camera
- Clearing Your Browser Cache and Cookies to Fix the Video Camera Error
- Disable Other Programs or Apps That May Be Using Your Camera
- Allow Your Browser Camera Access Permission
- Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus on Microsoft Windows and Mac
- Close All the Opened Tabs on Your Web Browser
- Disable Your Adblocker
- Update Your Web Browser
- Update Webcam Device Drivers
- Update Your Windows, macOS, Android, or iOS
- Temporarily Disable Firewall
Fix 1: Restart Your Computer or Phone
If your camera or web-cam is not working on Omegle, some temporary files may be corrupted. This can easily be resolved by restarting your laptop or phone. A restart refreshes your device so it’s worth a try.
Fix 2: Switch to Another Web Browser Such as Chrome, Opera, Edge, Firefox, Safari (Top Method)
The issue of the webcam not working Omegle could be due to your web browser. Although we will give tips for fixing your browser-related problems in this guide. But if you need a solution immediately, switch to another browser. You don’t need Adobe Flash Player now that it’s a thing of the past.
If you’re using Google Chrome, try Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or Opera. Most iPhone, iPad, and Mac users have Safari as their default browser, they can try Firefox or Opera to check if they work.
Fix 3: Use Another App to Test and Check for Camera Issues
You should confirm that the issue is not with your camera. To check your camera, open the camera app on your phone. For Mac, open FaceTime to check the webcam.
If you’re on Microsoft Windows, open the Camera app by pressing the Windows key + S, type ‘Camera’, and enter.
Fix 4: Clearing Your Browser Cache and Cookies to Fix the Video Camera Error
Browser cache and cookies are used to remember your choices, logins, and pages so it can load them quickly if you visit them again. Sometimes cookies and cached data get corrupted and affect some functions of the browser. Clearing cache and cookies can fix the issue.
- Click the three dots at the top right of Chrome and select ‘Settings’.
- Select ‘Security and Privacy’ from the sidebar.
- Click ‘Clear browsing data’.
- Go to the ‘Advanced’ section
- Select ‘All Time’ from the drop-down menu and check ‘Cookies and other site data’ and Cached Images and Files’, then click ‘Clear’.
You can clear the whole browsing history by selecting all the checkboxes and clicking ‘Clear’. This will delete all of your browsing data, passwords, and site preferences.
Get the browsing history menu on Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera, and others by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + Delete buttons and selecting the details you want to delete. For example, delete Opera cookies by pressing the above keys and then selecting cookies.
Fix 5: Disable Other Programs or Apps That May Be Using Your Camera
If Omegle is not able to detect your camera, it could be that any other app is using the camera and due to this, Omegle (the web browser) can’t use it. Disable other apps that are allowed to use the camera.
- On Windows, press Windows key + I and go to ‘Privacy’.
- Select ‘Camera’ from the sidebar.
- Toggle off the Microsoft apps that have access to the camera.
- Then look below the apps list under ‘Allow desktop apps to allow your camera’ and confirm that it is toggled on.
Fix 6: Allow Your Browser Camera Access Permission (Windows, Mac, Android, and iPhone)
Omegle web app uses your web browser to access the camera on your phone or webcam of your computer. If the browser doesn’t have camera access permission on your phone, you may see the camera error and will be wondering why is my camera not working on Omegle? For computers, you can allow Omegle camera access directly from your browser.
Allow Omegle Camera Access on Windows and Mac
- Click the three bars at the top right, and click ‘Settings’.
- Select ‘Privacy & Security’.
- Scroll down and find the ‘Permissions’ section. Click ‘Settings’ in front of the camera.
- You will see a list of websites that asked for camera permission. Find Omegle and allow it access.
- Do the same for the microphone.
- Click the area next to the address bar.
- Select ‘Site Settings’.
- You can see permissions for Omegle. Allow camera and microphone access.
- If you can’t allow the camera, your web browser has blocked Omegle. Use another browser.
On Safari (Mac)
- When you open the video chat page on Omegle, you will see the camera icon on the address bar of Safari, click it.
- Click ‘Always Allow on Omegle.com’.
Another method is from settings.
- Open ‘Preferences’ on Safari.
- Select ‘Websites’.
- Click ‘Camera’, find Omegle among the websites, and allow it access.
- Then click ‘Microphone’ and do the same.
Allow Omegle Camera Access on Android
We will allow your browser to access the camera so Omegle video chat works.
- Go to ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘Apps’.
- Select your browser from the list.
- Tap ‘Permissions’.
- Toggle on ‘Camera’ and ‘Microphone’.
Then open Chrome or your browser app and allow Omegle camera access there if you don’t get a prompt for allowing the camera.
Allow Omegle Camera Access on iPhone and iPad
- Go to ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘Privacy’.
- Select ‘Camera’ and allow your browser camera access.
After this, allow Omegle to access the camera from your browser app if you don’t get a prompt.
Fix 7: Temporarily Disable Your Antivirus on Microsoft Windows and Mac
Some antiviruses might recognize Omegle web app as a threat. It’s usually false positive. You can temporarily disable your antivirus to check if that is the issue.
(Warning: When your antivirus is disabled, your computer may be vulnerable to virus and malware attacks)
Disable Windows Security (Windows Defender)
- Press Windows key + I.
- Go to ‘Update & Security’.
- Select ‘Windows Security’.
- Click ‘Virus & threat protection’.
- Select ‘Manage settings’.
- Switch off ‘Real-time protection’.
Disable A Third-Party Antivirus on Windows
- Press Window key + S.
- Type the name of the antivirus and click it.
- Find a security option and turn off real-time security.
Disable A Third-Party Antivirus on Mac
- Press the command button + space bar.
- Type the antivirus name and click it.
- Find a security option to turn off its real-time security.
Fix 8: Close All the Opened Tabs on Your Web Browser
Too many opened tabs put pressure on the browser, and it sometimes behaves weirdly. If you have the camera not working issue on your browser and have many opened tabs, close them and try again. Moreover, try Incognito or InPrivate browsing.
Fix 9: Disable Your Adblocker if Laptop Camera Not Working on Omegle
Adblockers used in browsers block annoying ads and provide a better browsing experience. In some cases, adblockers block the wrong elements. So, disable your adblocker for Omegle and try again.
- Open Omegle on your browser.
- Click the adblocker icon next to the address bar.
- Click the toggle button to turn it off for Omegle.
Fix 10: Update Your Web Browser (Browser Solution)
The camera not working error on Omegle is also sometimes linked to outdated browsers. Typically, web browsers automatically update their versions but if you’re facing the snap camera not working on Omegle issue, you should manually update your browser.
Update Google Chrome
- Click the three dots at the top right.
- Hover the mouse cursor over ‘Help’ and then click ‘About Google Chrome’‘.
- It will automatically look for updates and update if a newer version is available.
- It may ask you to relaunch the browser after the update.
Update Mozilla Firefox
- Open Firefox on your desktop.
- Click the three lines at the top right and select ‘Help’ from the menu.
- Now click ‘About Firefox’.
- A small window will open and Firefox will check for updates. It will automatically download and install them if available.
- Click ‘Menu’ at the top left on the Opera application.
- Click ‘Update & Recovery’ to Update the Opera browser.
Update Safari on Mac
- Click the Apple menu and select ‘System Preferences.
- Now click ‘Software Update’.
- Any updates shown will be visible on the screen. Install them as they include updates for all the programs including Safari.
Update Safari on iPhone and iPad
- Go to iOS Settings.
- Select ‘General’.
- Now Tap ‘Software Update’.
- Install any updates shown.
Update Any Browser on Android Phones
- Open Google Play Store.
- Tap the search icon and type the browser name.
- Select the browser.
- Tap the green button if it reads ‘Update’. When an app is up-to-date, you will see ‘Open’ instead of ‘Update’.
Fix 11: Update Webcam Device Drivers (Windows Methods)
Whether your camera is working or not on other apps, updating your webcam drivers may help fix the OBS camera not working on Omegle error. Because outdated drivers sometimes don’t work well with another program and stop the device’s functioning, in this case, the camera.
- Move your mouse cursor to the ‘Start’ and right-click it.
- Select ‘Device Manager’.
- Now click ‘Camera’ from the list and right-click your webcam.
- Click ‘Update Driver’.
- Select ‘Search automatically for drivers’ from the dialog box.
- When it’s updated, click OK.
Fix 12: Update Your Windows, macOS, Android, or iOS
Updating your OS is not directly related to the camera not working error issue but it might help if any graphic or camera drivers were corrupted.
Update Microsoft Windows
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Select ‘Update & Security’.
- Click ‘Check for Updates’.
- Open the Apple menu and click ‘System Preferences’.
- Now select ‘Software Update’. It will check for updates.
- Click ‘Update Now’ if updates are visible.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap ‘About Phone’.
- Select ‘Check for Updates’. When updates are available, they are visible. Tap them to start an update.
- Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap ‘General’.
- Tap ‘Software Update’. Install updates if available.
Fix 13: Temporarily Disable Firewall for Camera Problems on Omegle
Your computer’s firewall blocks unapproved internet activity. A reason your OBS virtual camera not working on Omegle could be that the firewall could be stopping Omegle from accessing your webcam. Turn off the firewall temporarily to see if it fixes the issue.
(Warning: Turning off the firewall makes a computer vulnerable to online attacks.)
Disable Firewall on Windows 10 and 11
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Click Update & Security’.
- Select ‘Windows Security’.
- Click ‘Firewall & network protection’
- You will see three network profiles. Select the one that has ‘active’ written next to it. You’re not connected to the internet if you can’t see ‘active’ with any network profile.
- Toggle off ‘Microsoft Defender Firewall’.
Disable Firewall on Mac
- Click the Apple menu and select ‘System Preferences’.
- Find ‘Security’ or ‘Security & Privacy’ and click it.
- Select the tab ‘Firewall’.
- Click the lock at the bottom left corner and enter your credentials.
- Click the ‘Stop’ button to disable Firewall.
The camera not found error on Omegle is mostly browser-related. Switching to another web browser can fix the issue. If not, try the fixes mentioned above.