Have you ever been in a situation where you have to send an email to someone at a specific time, on an urgent basis, but ended up forgetting because you were distracted, busy with something else, or maybe procrastinating? Yes? Or are you a teacher who has to supply their class with questions just before your students’ tests begin? Yes? You can be anyone and anyone can forget to send an email they are supposed to.
A lot of problems can/will arise when you “forget” to do something important. You don’t want that happening. Do you? The key purpose of Boomerang for Gmail is to send your email to you at the time you want.
But there are other benefits that you can enjoy if you use Boomerang for Gmail. Proceed to read this article if you find what you read interesting. After all, who doesn’t find something that does their work for them, interesting? YES!
What is Boomerang for Gmail? What does Boomerang mean in Gmail?
Boomerang is an add-on for Gmail. Like its Australian toy namesake, it allows the users with Gmail accounts to send a message and receive message notifications easily, if they do not get a reply message. It lets you do things that conventional Gmail doesn’t let you do, usually.
This additional plugin lets you use Gmail in a way that makes working with Gmail so much better. You can schedule your email, keep track of it and delay the arrival of email.
This is an email productivity extension, which is available for free on the Chrome Web Store and for iOS & Android. There are also ad-blocking options available to keep you free from annoying ads while you are working online.
How do I turn on Boomerang for Gmail?
Install Boomerang on your PC. Once the installation is complete, your Google email account is opened in a new Chrome tab. You will get a Thank You message from the developer. A tour of how the add-on works and instructions for the customer is given in an elaborate slideshow, over your Gmail homepage.
There are even links to Demo videos for each feature, provided by Boomerang. When you open Gmail, you’ll see new buttons and features added to your Gmail account homepage and message composing window.
What can Boomerang do?
Boomerang for Gmail is a productivity tool that offers quite a number of features that make your job easier and in a way, do your job for you. Some salient features of this extension are as follows. This add-on needs the internet to function. Make sure you have an active connection.
If you are a business person or a professional with overseas clients, you may have to watch out for the time you send your email, in order to not interfere with their sleep.
You could interrupt someone who’s sleeping peacefully, when they are neck-deep in work or when they are in different time zones. Do not worry because Boomerang has got you covered.
A few tips can help you set timings to schedule messages to send. With this feature, you can send the email you need to send at a specific time of your wish, even without the internet.
This add-on lets you upload the email earlier and then send it to the recipient(s) at the programmed time. Scheduled email can save you a lot of time and help you not interfere with others’ time and, even, personal space.
As mentioned earlier, you can write an email message and schedule messages to send with Boomerang. This feature lets you draft your email now and send it any time you want it to be sent. This is how you do it.
- Click on the Compose button, to start typing an email message. You’ll see a new bar below the Send bar.
- Write the scheduled email message that you need to send later.
- Click on the red Send Later button and choose the perfect time to send the scheduled emails.
- Click on the Confirm button, after you schedule the email.
You will have to provide permissions for Boomerang to access your Gmail if you haven’t allowed permissions earlier.
Tracking Mail Responses
When you write an email and send it to someone, you can not know if they have seen the email, in Gmail. But with the helpful Boomerang plugin, you can check if the recipient has received the email. This is known as Mail Tracking. This feature is important and helpful when you need a compulsory response. You can choose to get reminders or not with the extension.
You can use this extension to track email and obtain follow-ups. You get notified if the recipient does not respond to your email within a certain period of time. If you receive a message without any response, you can send them another email asking them to respond as a follow-up email.
The follow-up email can be scheduled to send if you do not hear back from the recipient. This email will not be sent if a response is received. This is how users can track responses to their email with Boomerang.
- Write an email.
- You’ll notice the Remind Me to check box, to the right of the Send Later button in the Boomerang extension bar. Check it.
- You can set the conditions for the response i.e) the number of days within which you need a response. If not, you will be reminded. If you want to track responses, set the if condition to if no reply.
- Click on the Send or Send Later button, depending on when you want the email to be sent.
Boomerang for Gmail also lets the users look through receipts. The users can also check if the recipient has gone through the email and if they do not respond, the sender is alerted. You will receive a notification when the recipient opens the email. Additional information about the email can also be known, which is helpful.
Scheduled emails and response tracking are not the only features of Boomerang for Gmail. You can also know if your email messages were read, not opened, or lost in a barrage of messages in the recipient’s Gmail inbox. Once the message is read, you will receive a notification that the email has been read.
This feature also lets the Boomerang users view extra details about the receipts. This is how you can read receipts with Boomerang for Gmail. It takes only one step to let you read receipts.
When you finish composing the email, click on the small icon of an open envelope with an interrogatory mark in it. This is the Request read receipt and track clicks button. This button enables the users to check on receipts.
You can see an additional note at the bottom of the email, stating that you, the sender, have requested a read receipt for the email.
It is quite easy to look for details about the email you were tracking. This is how you do it.
- In your Gmail window, click the boomerang icon, in the top right part of the window. This is the Boomerang menu.
- A drop-down menu appears, choose Manage Scheduled Messages from the list.
- A new window opens. There are a number of options on the left. Click on Tracked Messages. You’ll be able to see the email, for which you have turned on Mail Tracking. You can see how many times the mail you sent has been opened by the recipient(s).
Respondable is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) based email composition helper and a digital writing assistant, exclusively for email, that is helpful to the user to write an email that is more professional-looking and presentable to the person on the receiving end. It looks through your choice of words and the content of the email.
It gives you suggestions for your email and the subject. This is helpful for you to write an email that is well-constructed and also could be scheduled to send later.
Every email you send is of value. It has to be of good quality and the right quantity. This helpful AI-based assistant can help you write better messages in real-time.
It takes recommendations from the messages that the users send with Boomerang and helps write and send emails that are precisely composed and professional-looking.
The AI counts the number of words in the subject of the email message and the email message itself and lets the user know when they type too many words or too few words.
For subscribed users, there are meters on the side, which help you determine the tone of the email. The algorithm of Boomerang lets you draft the perfect message when you send an email so that it gives the receiver a good impression of you and/or your firm.
The user can start using the writing assistant once they click the gray boomerang icon with a meter under it, in the add-on Boomerang toolbar in the email writing window.
With Boomerang, you can program the email you receive to be transferred to a label or a folder until the time you want it to appear back in your inbox again. This can prevent your inbox from becoming a cluttered mess with more email messages than you and your inbox can manage.
The Inbox Pause feature of Boomerang prevents the user from receiving new emails from entering their inbox, till they are ready to receive an email back in their Gmail account. New emails can be very disturbing while you are trying to concentrate on some work.
Therefore, pausing your Gmail message inbox can help you be more productive. If you are expecting important messages from your superior or someone else important you can get exemptions for those email addresses. You can also use Boomerang to send an automatic response message to those who send you an email during the time frame, you pause your Gmail Inbox.
To pause your inbox, click on the Pause Inbox button, just below the Compose button.
A new dialog box opens. In this window, you can lay down exceptions, select your auto-response message and the email addresses that are exceptions to your inbox.
Boomerang for Gmail lets you move your email out of the inbox for a time frame until you want it back. You might receive emails for events that are not for another week or month. The email reminder feature lets you attach notes to emails that you schedule to receive later.
You need to have the email message returned to your inbox, starred, or marked unread. You can even have the message sent back to the top of your Gmail inbox. This is how you regulate an email reminder in Boomerang.
- Open the email or the conversation thread, that you want to hide for a specific time period. You’ll notice that a new Boomerang button has been added to the top of the email window. Click the Boomerang button.
- A list of menus dropdown. In the At a Specific time section, adjust the date and time, when you want the email to resurface.
- Click on the Confirm button. You’ll receive a disappearing statement that states when the email will be sent back to your Gmail and G-Suite inbox.
As a Boomerang user, you can send an email message that can be programmed to send multiple times i.e) a recurring email. You can send a recurring email message when you really need to emphasize something to a client, or employee, or someone who needs to focus on something.
For example, you can program the plugin to send a repeating email message to your client, if they are short on payments, asking them to pay. This is how you send recurring messages using Boomerang.
- Compose your email.
- Click on the Send Later button. You’ll see a pop-up menu appear.
- From the list, Click on Schedule Recurring Message.
- Set the conditions you need in the dialog box that appears next.
- Click Schedule, when you are okay with the regulations you set.
Terms to know in Boomerang
There are a few terms for you to know as you master the functioning of this productivity tool.
a. Reminder Triggers – Reminder triggers are the conditions you set, which impact the actions taken by Boomerang for every email you send. There are four reminder triggers in Boomerang. These conditions can be enabled for an email message, that you intend to track responses for. They’re as follows –
- If no reply – You can use this to receive a follow-up notification message if the recipient doesn’t reply within a period of time.
- If not clicked – This option can be used to get a reminder message when the email the user sent is not clicked on by the recipient, within a specific time.
- If not opened – This option can be used to be notified with a message when the email is not even opened by the recipient.
- Regardless – This option sends the follow-up reminder no matter what the recipient does not do. The reminder will be notified to you after a period of time to the sender even if the recipient has not replied/clicked/opened the email sent.
b. Receipts – In this context, a receipt is an acknowledgment that the emails sent by the user have been received as a message in the recipient’s inbox. A receipt, in Boomerang standards, is considered to be one no matter what the status of the messages is.
c. Schedule – Here, the schedule means to set a time. You can schedule emails (and recurring messages too) to be sent using Boomerang.
d. Time Zones – Time zones are something to look out for when you send important messages to foreign recipients/ business clients. The times you schedule to send your messages come in your time zones and not in the time zone of the person who receives the emails.
For instance, If you live in the United States and you want to send messages to someone in India, the schedule has to be set in your Standard Time with reference to the Indian Standard Time. Poorly timed messages can be a disturbance to your recipients. Make sure you adjust the time right.
Like most other plugins, Boomerang also has a premium version, the subscription of which can be purchased for a price. In the free version, Boomerang helps you pause your inbox, write better emails, program messages to be sent later, track messages and write and send recurring emails.
The Basic subscription is free. The Personal subscription costs $4.99 a month. The Pro costs $14.99 per month and the Premium package costs $49.99 per month.
Groups of people that work together and use Boomerang, get discounts for Pro and Premium subscriptions. Before you start paying, you get a 30-day free trial. You are not needed to provide your credit card details.
- Basic accounts work for Gmail and G-Suite email. You get the inbox pause, schedule emails, track messages, and basic Respondable with the basic version, and is helpful enough.
- Personal subscriptions work only with Gmail and not G-Suite. But you get support for mobile applications and unlimited message credits. You also get a notes message extension to stick to the email message, you might forget the purpose.
- The Pro profile is for Gmail and G-Suite (Google Apps) accounts. The users get features like sending recurring emails and a little advanced Artificial Intelligence in Respondable.
- The Premium account, which is the most expensive package in Boomerang, offers all the features offered by the developers of Boomerang. You get the same features as that Pro account users, Track by default, a Toolbox that lets you design how you use this email assistant, the ability to interact with CRM systems, and premium support.
System Requirements for Boomerang
Boomerang for Gmail works for both Gmail and G-Suite (Google Apps) email. You’ll also need a good browser if you are looking to work with Boomerang for Gmail. You can use this add-on with browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Opera. There is also a similar extension for Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I send automatic emails from Gmail?
Yes, you can send automatic emails from Gmail. But not without a plugin such as Boomerang. You can set your messages to be sent regularly, and automatically with Boomerang. You can also schedule your emails to be sent later.
Is it safe to use Boomerang?
Can I stop someone from sending me emails for a while?
Yes, one of the features that are provided by Boomerang is the Inbox Pause. You can use this feature to ignore emails from an account for the period of time you would like to be more productive. Yes, you can ignore email from an address for a while.
How to send the same email multiple times without doing it manually, each time?
Answering this query is as simple as using Boomerang’s repeating mail feature. Regular, pre-adjusted intervals can be programmed into the add-on to send the same email to the same recipient multiple times, a feature known as “recurring emails.”
Is Boomerang the best email writing assistant?
Boomerang is a fantastic online tool for improving your writing skills. This may not be the best, but it still has a lot of potentials to be a great asset to your company. You have the ability to send excellent emails and set them for delivery on specific dates and times. It’s one of the best free study aids out there. 3.5/5 is the average rating.
Can I use Boomerang for other languages?
Unfortunately, no. Boomerang works in only one language, English. The use of French to write a message in the extension has been found ineffective.
Why do I need to be using Boomerang for Gmail?
You can use this extension to send your mail later, send your friend’s birthday mail automatically, track the mail you sent earlier to someone, make sure you write a good mail message in real-time, and send repeating messages automatically. It is a quite helpful arrangement.