Chrome is the most used browser globally, accounting for nearly 90 percent of all web traffic.
There are a variety of reasons to block a website. One of the most popular is to maintain focus. Our productivity is frequently harmed by easy access to distracting apps and websites. There are moments when it’s best to turn off the rest of the world. Focus on being productive, regardless of social media, other productivity tools.
You might want to block distracting websites in Chrome for a variety of reasons. To maximize productivity, you may need to disable distracting websites so you can concentrate on your task.
You might also wish to keep a child safe from inappropriate content. You can block inappropriate websites in Chrome is a simple process.
Methods On “How To Block Websites On Chrome”
- Blocking Website On Google Chrome
- How To Block Site Extension
- Google Chrome On Android
- Google Chrome On iPhone And iPad
- Block Websites With A Chrome Add Extension
- Blocking Notifications In Chrome Browser
- Mobile Android
- Blocking Websites By Rooting Or Jailbreaking
- Blocking Websites Using Your Router
- Block Websites In Incognito Mode
1. Blocking Websites on Google Chrome
- Blocking websites is simple if you have a Windows PC and use Chrome as your browser:
- Launch Chrome. Search for the BlockSite Extension.
- By clicking “Add to Chrome,” you can get the BlockSite plugin.
- To block a website, go to the website you wish to block.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, select the extension.
- Select “Block this site.”
There are two ways to ban websites in Chrome if you’re using a Mac. The first step is to add the BlockSite extension to your browser:
- Download the BlockSite by selecting the add extension.
- Select “Add to Chrome” from the drop-down menu.
- Blocking can be done by going to the website.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, tap the extension.
- Press the “Block this site” button.
Another possibility is to use the computer. It’s appropriate for preventing minors from viewing specific websites:
- In the upper-left area of the menu, tap the apple icon.
- Select “System Preferences” from the drop-down menu.
- Select “Parental Control” from the drop-down menu.
- On the left side of the menu, select the child’s account.
- Then select “Enable Parental Controls” from the drop-down menu.
- Choose “Content.”
- Choose “Allow access to only these websites” under “Website Restrictions.”
- Add certain websites to which the youngster has permission to visit.
2. How to Block Site Extension
- Google Chrome on Android
The Block Site extension app is the easiest way to block inappropriate websites on an Android device. Go to the Google Play Store. In the search bar, find the app and install the app.
Then, to provide mobile app access, you must change your accessibility settings. The Blocked Sites area is found at the bottom of the settings menu on phone devices.
- To start blocking your first site, click the + sign.
- Choose edit block sites list or app you wish to prohibit by searching for a keyword or domain name.
- After you’ve chosen a site, tap Done to preserve your preferences.
- You’ve successfully blocked websites.
- Suppose users try to access blocked sites from their mobile devices. Users get the same Sad puppy on their desktop.
- Google Chrome on iPhone and iPad
You don’t need to install a chrome mobile app to start blocking sites if you have one of the newest iPhone models. It’s possible to do so through the iPhone’s settings.
- To begin, go to the general phone settings screen and scroll down to the Screen Time link.
- Scroll down to the “Content & Privacy Restrictions” link.
- Then, scroll down the site restriction settings until you find and hit the “Web Content” tab.
- Choose one of the following options:
- Select the “Limit Adult Websites” tab to begin adding specific sites that you will never allow.
3. Block Websites with a Chrome Add Extension
A Google Chrome extension is required to block distractions. Google Chrome extension can be found at the Chrome Web Store. Here’s a step-by-step tutorial for visiting the Google Web Store. Choosing an excellent extension to restrict access or limit adult websites on Chrome.
- Open Chrome as a new tab or as a new window.
- Access the ‘apps’ icon from the main screen. Under the Google search box, click the ‘Web Store‘ tab. You can go to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions to get started.
- Ensure that the ‘extensions’ option is chosen.
- Enter ‘block site’ in the search area.
- Select a blocker that you want to use. For this tutorial, we’ll use ‘Block Site.’ Simply pick ‘add to Chrome’ from the drop-down menu.
- Click ‘add the extension’ in the box that appears. In a new window, you’ll have to agree to Block Site’s terms.
- Select the ‘+’ icon after entering the website you want to block.
You are free to add as many websites as you want. Keep in mind that the extension will remember that these are Chrome’s prohibited sites and will prevent you from visiting them. When you try to open the site, it will inform you that it is now blocked.
4. Blocking Notifications in Chrome Browser
You can block websites is only half of the issue. Frequent Notifications can also distract your work. So, let’s see how to disable them in Chrome.
You don’t require an extension or to change any files or OS settings to block website notifications.
- In Google Chrome’s general privacy settings, disable push notifications from websites.
- You may get there quickly by typing Chrome:/settings/content/notifications into your browser.
- Alternatively, Go to the settings screen and select Privacy and security.
- Go to “Site settings” and Choose “Notifications” from the menu.
- You may now prevent sites from requesting permission to send notifications. You can block specific sites by URL.
Notifications are disabled by default in the mobile version of Chrome for iOS (iPhones and iPads). There are no notification settings, and they aren’t necessary to change.
It’s even easier to block alerts on Android than it is on the PC version.
- Click the more icon in the corner of Chrome, scroll down, and press the Settings link.
- Scroll to the end of the screen and click the Notifications option.
- With a simple tap, you may switch off all app notifications (including all sites).
- You may block notifications from specific sites by scrolling down to the site’s section. Tap the tab next to the site you wish to block.
5. Blocking Websites by Rooting or Jailbreaking
You’ll hear about the possibilities of “rooting” or “jailbreaking” your mobile device at some point. It has been reported that doing so grants users “administrator” access over the phone. It allowed them to download apps and games that they would not have been able to otherwise.
Rooting: Users of Android mobile devices do rooting to gain access to the “root” code of their phone. It allows them to manage the device’s operating system. Pick which websites the phone can and cannot visit.
Jailbreaking: This is the process of allowing users to run and download software. Apple would typically restrict iOS devices such as the iPhone.
Many nations have their own laws against rooted and jailbreaking. The practice can make your phone more exposed to viruses and harmful applications.
Many apps you may have downloaded or plan to download may become incompatible. Refuse to run on a “rooted” or “jailbroken” device.
6. Blocking Websites Using Your Router
Your router contains a feature that allows you to restrict websites from accessing your network. In Chrome and other browsers, you can use it to block websites. Any wifi-connected devices. It includes tablets and mobile phones, which will be blocked from accessing the sites.
The first step is to determine your router’s IP address so that you can access its settings.
- On Mac computers, enter System Preferences by clicking on the Mac icon to obtain your router’s IP address. Then, go ahead and open the Network window.
- You must next select the appropriate connection, either wifi or ethernet. Under the status, you can view the IP information.
- Open Command Prompt window by writing “cmd” into the search box and pressing enter.
- Once it’s open, write “ipconfig” and hit enter, the address of your router can be found under “default gateway.”
- To access your router, copy and paste the default gateway address into your browser.
- Your router determines the latter stages. Netgear routers include restricted site settings in the Security tab.
- You can scroll down to the “Block Sites” section. Block websites by keywords or domain names.
- Type a domain name into the given field. Click the Add Keyword button.
- Now, you’ll successfully restrict the website through your router.
7. Block Websites in Incognito Mode
BlockSite is no exception to the rule that no extension settings apply to the incognito mode by default.
So go to the extension settings to make sure you block a site even if you’re using Chrome’s incognito mode. If you’ve already closed the tab, the BlockSite extension should be visible on your toolbar.
Then go to the settings page and click the “Enable in Incognito Mode” button towards the top of the page.
Even if you use incognito mode to access your restricted pages, you will be unable to do so.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I block a website on Chrome mobile/desktop?
Click “Block Sites” on the left menu of the BlockSite settings page. Then manually put in the websites to be blocked in the bar on the right. Go to the website you want to ban. Click the orange shield icon. Select “Block this site” from the popup box.
How do I block a website on Chrome without an extension?
You don’t require an extension or to change any files or OS settings to disable a notice. In Chrome’s general privacy settings, you can disable push notifications from websites. You may get there quickly. Type chrome:/settings/content/notifications into your browser. Go to the settings screen and selecting Privacy and security.
How do I block a website on Windows 10?
A window for Internet Properties will appear; select the Security tab in the properties. Select the “Restricted Sites” Zone and then “Sites” on the security tab to choose a restricted site. You can add any site you want to restrict here by pressing Add, then closing and saving it.
How can I block all websites except one?
To prevent the usage of other Web browsers on the computer, enable Parental Controls. Press “Enter” after clicking “Start” and typing “parental.” Select a user, select “Allow and Block Specific Programs,” and then block other browsers by following the onscreen steps.