Do you know about the black screen iPhone issue? It’s when your iPhone is still working, but the screen is not visible. You have a pitch-black screen without any lights.
There can be many reasons for the black screen issue in an iPhone. It could be a hardware problem or a software issue.
Some app intrusion or a simple battery drain could also trigger it. That’s why we have decided to compile a list of solutions.
You can try these systematically and fix the issue of a black screen on your iPhone. So, let’s begin:
Methods To Fix Black Screen On iPhone Issue
- Use A Charger For Battery Backup
- Check For The Heating Issue In Your Device
- Remove Any Problem-Causing App
- Force Restart iPhone
- Check Your iOS Version
- Use iTunes To Fix iOS System Issues
- Factory Reset Your iPhone
- Last Resort – The DFU Restore
1. Use A Charger For Battery Backup
The first step would be to check the battery or power-related issue and fix the black screen in the iPhone issue:
- Use the correct charger and USB cable that is made for the iPhone model that you have.
- You might have to wait a while in case your battery has drained out.
- If nothing happens, move to the other solution.
2. Check For The Heating Issue In Your Device
Overheating Apple devices tend to cause the black screen in iPhone issue. Mac and iPad also had similar problems. So, it is better to check for overheating.
- Make sure that you have an Apple-approved case or cover.
- You can remove the case and cover the heating issue.
- Make sure you’re not using device-extensive apps, causing it to overheat.
3. Remove Any Problem Causing App
This step is also part of the self-diagnose for your Apple device:
- Check if the black screen appears after you launch a certain app.
- You can launch each app one by one to check this.
- If you find any app, uninstall it.
- See if it solves the issue.
4. Force Restart iPhone
Are you unable to make any of the above-given diagnoses? Maybe you tried them but they didn’t work. Then a force restart often works wonders.
A force restart is like a hard reset. It will clear the system memory, close apps, and refresh the firmware. So, try these steps:
- If you have an iPhone 6S or an earlier model – Press the power and home button. Keep pressing until the Apple logo appears.
- For iPhone 7 users – Press the power button and volume down button. Keep holding until the logo appears.
- For iPhone 8 and later models – First press the volume up button, then the volume down, and then the power button (side button). The Apple logo will appear for you to reboot the system.
5. Check Your iOS Version
A new iOS update doesn’t mean the previous version will stop working. But a new update comes with solutions and bug fixes. In case you have a problem like that, checking for updates would be a good choice.
Updating the iOS device also helps you in the same way a recovery mode would do. But, you do it in standard mode. So, give it a try and keep your device updated for the best security.
6. Use iTunes To Fix iOS System Issues
iTunes is a boon for iOS system recovery. Follow these steps to solve the black screen in iPhone issue easily:
- Open iTunes on your computer (Mac, Windows, etc.)
- Next, connect your iPhone to the PC by using the correct cable.
- Now, use the steps for Force Restart on your iPhone. Even if the screen is not visible, it should work.
- Keep the iTunes connected, and this should take you to the recovery mode screen.
- Now, you can use iTunes and select options like Restore or Reset.
- There is also an option to Update, so you can try these steps accordingly.
- First, use the restoration process and follow the on-screen instructions.
7. Factory Reset Your iPhone
If the recovery option doesn’t work, you can factory reset your iPhone. Use the same methods above, but use the reset option in iTunes.
- Click on Restore iPhone.
- Select ‘ Don’t Back Up, ‘ and it will not have any backup.
- If you select back up, it will restore your iPhone with the backup it will create.
Factory reset is something you should have as a final resort. If nothing else works, you can try it. But, if you don’t want to risk the factory reset, you can visit the Apple Store.
This applies especially if you don’t have data backup or internet connectivity. Factory Reset will delete everything on your device if you don’t have a cloud backup.
8. Last Resort – The DFU Restore
DFU Mode is a Device Firmware Update Mode. It is an advanced version of the Recovery Mode. Using DFU mode is a professional skill, so you must be careful.
If you fail to use it correctly, you can cause more harm than good. So, if you’re 100% sure, use the following steps and fix the black screen in the iPhone issue:
- Connect your iPhone to the PC that has iTunes.
- Use the Force Restart steps, but there’s a little change in them.
- For iPhone 6 users – Press and hold the home and lock buttons. But release the lock button after eight seconds. Keep holding the home button.
- For iPhone 7 users – Do the same with the side and volume down buttons. Release the side button after 8 seconds, and keep holding the volume down.
- For iPhone 8 and above models – Press the volume up, then the down button. Don’t hold them. Hold the side button after pressing them. Wait until the screen goes black. After that, hold the volume down button, as well. After five seconds, release the side button but keep holding the volume down button.
- If you’re successful in DFU mode, your iPhone screen won’t display anything.
- If the Apple logo appears on your iPhone, you will have to repeat these steps.
- Repeat if your PC shows anything like ‘connect to iTunes’ after trying everything. You have failed.
Keep doing it until the DFU mode activates. To exit the DFU mode, use the Force Restart Instructions.
Conclusion – Fix iPhone Screen Black Issue
Did the solutions help you out? If not, then you might have to visit the Apple Service Center for repair. The issue could be damage-related. There could be some breakage or damage to your screen.