Black screen problems plague computer users all around the world. They’re common Windows PC errors. They are, nevertheless, inconvenient and aggravating. As a result, resolving them has become critical. Today, we’ll discuss fixing a Dell laptop’s black screen.
Dell is a well-known brand in the world of Windows PCs and laptops. However, because blue and black screen problems are widespread, Dell users are also affected. Users of Dell’s high-end laptops, such as the Dell Inspiron, have also reported black screen issues.
Working on a Dell laptop with a black screen that is completely blank can be difficult. Because the screen is black, you won’t be able to see what you’re doing. It’s possible that the graphic drivers on your Dell laptop aren’t communicating properly with the operating system.
This is the most common cause of a Dell laptop’s black screen. Due to installation troubles with Windows 10 OS or a lack of power supply, your Dell laptop may turn on, but the screen may remain black.
Unplugging and removing your Dell laptop’s battery is frequently recommended for resolving a black screen. You can also do this by holding down the device’s Power button.
The laptop may turn on if you let go of it after 30 seconds. Other remedies, such as resetting the graphic drivers, doing a hard reset, or forcibly restarting your Dell laptop, have also been found to work when it doesn’t boot up and displays a black screen.
Dell is an American technology firm. It is known for selling high-quality computers at low prices. They are a well-known laptop company. Alienware, XPS, Inspiron, and Latitude are just some of the laptop brands they sell.
Many demographics can benefit from the laptops’ various configurations and functionalities. A Dell Laptop is available to everybody, including business people, students, and professional gamers.
Every time we switch on our technology, we expect it to work. The abrupt appearance of a dark screen is always distressing. The rest of the system appears to be in good working order.
The indicator light is on, and the fan is spinning. What’s the matter with my computer monitor? Do not become concerned. The Black Screen of Death is a relatively common occurrence, and whatever the cause, you may remedy it using the methods below.
Here you will read about the advanced options you can opt for if your laptop screen goes black.
Why is my Laptop on, but the Screen is Black?
A poor connection between your graphics drivers and your operating system is the main cause of the Dell black screen issue. A display adapter driver update problem is another possibility.
After system upgrades or installations, you may experience a Black Screen of Death, necessitating a Windows reinstallation.
What Causes Black Screen on Dell Laptop and Computer?
“Why is my Dell laptop screen black?” many of you may question. Knowing what’s causing the problem with your laptop and computer will help you find answers.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Laptop Black Screen?
Restarting the graphics driver, booting your device in safe mode, starting over Explorer.exe, resetting, and updating BIOS can all be used to resolve the black screen error on your Dell laptop. As you can see, these techniques are straightforward, and you may even recognize a number of them.
More ways to fix the dell laptop black screen bug are shown below. Each method will be demonstrated in step-by-step instructions.
Solutions For Black Screen on Dell Laptop
- Graphics Driver should be rebooted/restarted on Laptop
- Graphics Driver should be updated on Laptop
- You may need to change your laptop’s Display Panel
- Shut Down Laptop forcibly
- Boot Laptop into Safe Mode
- Try to connect the External Display to Laptop
- Explorer.exe on Laptop can be restarted
- Reset BIOS on Laptop
- Update BIOS on Laptop
- Get your Reinstall Windows cleansed on your Laptop
Fix 1 – Graphics Driver should be rebooted/restarted on Laptop
You can always attempt the keyboard shortcut of pressing the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B simultaneously if you have a BSOD problem. This hotkey combination will let you restart the graphics drivers on your computer.
A faulty connection between your operating system and monitor is often the source of your Dell laptop’s black screen error. As a result, you can start using the hotkey combination to reconnect the display.
If this does not resolve your black screen issue, proceed to the next step.
Fix 2 – Graphics Driver should be updated on Laptop
One of the common causes of black screens on Dell laptops is outdated and incorrect graphics drivers. As a result, you must repair them to avoid the Dell laptop’s inability to boot up owing to a black screen.
You might be wondering how to upgrade your graphics driver, as there are several options. Don’t be confused; simply download and use the Bit Driver Updater application to update and repair all of your drivers.
It offers extensive support for all Windows drivers. As a result, it is, in our opinion, the ideal way to update and fix obsolete, missing, or incorrect drivers.
If your graphics driver isn’t up to date, you can get a blank screen because of third-party applications or computer viruses. It’s critical to constantly have the most recent graphics driver loaded on your computer to improve performance, and it would be healthy for your laptop if antivirus software is installed.
If you want, you can manually upgrade your audio driver by going to the manufacturer’s website, finding their driver download page, and selecting the appropriate driver, among other things. If you’re unfamiliar with device drivers or don’t have the time, we recommend using Driver Easy. To do so, follow these steps:
Simply select Update All to instantly download and install all the missing or out-of-date drivers on your system. (You’ll be prompted to upgrade to Driver Easy Pro when you click ‘Update All.’) If you don’t want to pay for the Pro version, you can still use Driver Easy to download and manually install each driver.)
You’ll need to restart your computer if you want the changes to take effect.
Check to see if the unpleasant black screen problem reappears. Congratulations if your desktop returns to normal!
You could try the steps below if the above method did not work for you.
The following is a step-by-step instruction for updating graphics drivers on Windows machines with Bit Driver Updater.
- Select the download button below to save the Bit Driver Updater setup file to your computer.
- a button to download now
- Install the setup program.
- Start the tool that has been installed.
- Select Scan Drivers from the home screen.
- It analyses all of your PC’s drivers and gives you the necessary upgrades.
- Go to the graphics driver in the scan results screen and click Update Now.
If the black screen continues, proceed to the next step.
Fix 3 – You may need to change your laptop’s Display Panel
Your problem might be resolved by replacing the display panel. You must be certain that the panel is defective before changing it. By removing the battery and power wire from your smartphone, you can check this.
An external monitor can connect to your PC if the LED is static. Check to see if the display can be seen on this monitor. The display panel will need to be replaced if the display can be viewed. The procedures below can also be used to resolve issues with the black screen.
- Begin the power draining procedure by disconnecting the power cord and the battery.
- Drain the remaining power by pushing the “Power” button for at least 10-20 seconds after removing the battery. After the draining is complete, use a power cord to turn on the power.
- Examine the power button for any indication of an LED.
- If the LED on the “Power button” or the “Caps lock” key is static, connect an external monitor to your system to verify the external monitor’s functionality.
- If the display is visible on an external monitor, the display panel or display cable must be replaced.
- If the “Caps lock” key’s LED blinks with a gap, you’ll need to make a BIOS recovery.
- To do so, turn off the laptop and plug it into the wall outlet.
- Hold the “Ctrl” and “Esc” keys simultaneously until the Bios recovery page opens.
- When the page appears, click “Enter” to select “reset NVRAM.”
- Press “Enter” to begin the recovery procedure by clicking “recover BIOS.”
Fix 4 – Shut Down Laptop forcibly
According to many consumers, several Dell laptops’ screens go dark randomly. If this is also happening to you, we recommend you force shut down your laptop. To begin, you can separate every external device linked to your laptop.
You can remove the AC adapter while keeping the battery intact after turning your laptop off for at least 20 seconds. Its battery must now be depleted.
When a system crash or other error occurs on a Windows PC, the first thing we do is restart it.
However, if your Dell laptop screen won’t turn on due to a black screen, the only way to restart your system is forcefully shut it down. You can restart your computer after that. Follow these instructions on a Dell Inspirion or any other popular Dell laptop.
- Remove all external computer devices and peripherals that are attached to the PC.
- For 10 to 20 seconds, press and hold the power button on your Dell laptop.
- Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the battery from your laptop.
- For nearly 60 seconds, press the power button.
- Reconnect your system’s battery and charger.
- The power button is used to turn on the system.
Check if the Dell Inspiron black screen problem has been resolved now.
Fix 5 – Boot Laptop into Safe Mode
Safe Mode only operates in a rudimentary form. Booting your PC or laptop into it disables all superfluous functionality. As a result, the likelihood of numerous issues and errors occurring is reduced.
You may potentially troubleshoot the Dell laptop black screen problem by starting the computer in Safe Mode. These methods will allow you to boot into Safe Mode on your computer.
- If your computer is still turned on, turn it off.
- Press the power button to turn it on now.
- Before the Windows logo appears, hold down the Shift key and hit F8. Repeat the process using the methods above if the first time doesn’t work.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Advanced option.
- After that, go to Startup Settings.
- Select Restart from the Startup Settings menu.
- When your Dell laptop restarts, it will provide you with several choices. To enter Safe Mode, press five or F5.
Check if the black screen problem still exists in Safe Mode. If the Dell laptop screen turns black, but the computer remains in Safe Mode, you should attempt the alternative techniques listed below.
Fix 6 – Try to connect the External Display to Laptop
You can get rid of the black screen by connecting your laptop to an external display. Open the display list to link it. The Windows and P keys on your keyboard can display this list. By navigating through this list, you can select the display.
Let’s take a closer look at how to link it.
To bring up the display list, use the Windows logo key + P. For additional attached displays, such as a TV or a second monitor, experiment with alternative display options. Then hit Enter after pressing the P or down arrow key to select a display.
Fix 7 – Explorer.exe on Laptop can be restarted
Various operations are running in the background as you use your computer. However, some jobs manage and impact the overall performance of your computer. One of these is explorer.exe.
It’s in charge of your laptop’s taskbar, desktop, and many other tasks. As a result, the explorer.exe task’s incorrect functioning might sometimes result in a Dell laptop’s black screen and a cursor issue. However, you can fix it by resuming the process using the steps below.
- Go to Task Manager. You can use your keyboard’s Ctrl, Shift, and Esc keys to accomplish this. You must squish them all together.
- Navigate to the Details tab.
- Look for the explorer.exe process.
- Select the assignment and then click the Finish button to complete it.
- The system should then be rebooted to see if the solution was successful.
Fix 8 – Reset BIOS on Laptop
According to our research, one of the most common reasons for a black screen on a Dell laptop is incorrect BIOS settings. As a result, restarting the BIOS solves the problem rapidly.
By restarting your laptop, you can re-enter the BIOS. After seeing the Dell logo, you can hit F2/F12. When you see Entering Setup, let go of the key. This is followed by pressing the F9 key to return to the Default Settings. After that, quit the BIOS and save your modifications.
- Restart your computer or device first.
- When the “Dell Logo” appears, press “F2” or “F12.” Continue to touch the key until you see “Entering Setup.”
- Tap “F9” or “Alt” and “F” simultaneously to load the “Default settings.” Alternatively, you can use the “Load defaults” button on the screen.
- Then, on the BIOS screen, press “ESC” to exit.
- “Save and Exit” is the option.
- To save your changes, press the “Enter” key.
- You’ll need to restart your Dell laptop to get rid of the black screen error.
Fix 9 – Update BIOS on Laptop
The BIOS is directly linked to the black screen problem. A faulty or out-of-date BIOS might create a slew of issues with your computer. You may get the Dell laptop black screen problem if you recently updated the BIOS with a corrupted version or haven’t updated the BIOS with the newest version.
But don’t worry; we’ve got a solution for both problems. First, let’s look at what to do if you recently updated your BIOS and are experiencing problems.
If your BIOS becomes corrupted, you should try resetting it to the factory default version. Here are the measures to take.
- First and foremost, turn on your Dell laptop.
- After viewing the Dell logo on the screen, press the F2 or F12 key on your keyboard. Entering Setup will appear if you keep pressing the keys.
- F9 should now be pressed.
- By pressing the Esc key, you can exit the BIOS.
- Save and Exit is the options you have.
- To exit the BIOS, press Enter.
- Your computer should be restarted once more.
- We recommend doing so if you haven’t updated your BIOS in a while. This can be done with the help of a BIOS updater program. Here are the steps to follow if you wish to do it manually.
- To open the Run utility, use Windows + R on your keyboard.
- in the text field, type msinfo32
- Accept the default.
- The BIOS Version and Date should be noted.
- Go to Dell’s customer service page for further information.
- Search for and download the relevant BIOS update.
- The BIOS update must be installed.
- Check if the black screen problems persist after restarting the machine.
You can go to the Dell support page to update BIOS.
Fix 10 – Get your Reinstall Windows cleansed on your Laptop
A full reinstall of Windows is another excellent solution for the Dell laptop screen going dark but still working. Turn the laptop off and connect the recovery disc to it before proceeding. When the brand’s emblem appears on your device, immediately press the F12 key. This key must be pressed for some time to do a one-time boot.
- Connect your Dell laptop to a DVD or USB drive as the recovery media after it has been turned off.
- Begin using your Dell computer.
- When you see the “Dell Logo,” press “F12” on your keyboard.
- Hold down the “F12” key until the “Preparing one-time boot” menu appears.
- Select the media type for your device by tapping “UEFI BOOT.”
- Then, as desired, select your “Keyboard language.”
- Select “Troubleshoot” from the “Choose an option” menu.
- Select “Recover from a drive” as your recovery method. The Dell laptop’s dark screen will be rectified once the operation is complete.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Inspiron Black Screen?
The Dell Inspiron black screen issue isn’t a new occurrence. According to several users of this model, the Dell laptop starts on, but the screen is blank. You’ll find two surefire solutions for correcting the error in the following sections.
Hard resetting or force restarting the Dell Inspiron laptop is one of these options, as is deleting third-party apps. In this model, these strategies will be used to address the underlying causes of the problem.
Fix 1 – Hard Reset/Forcefully Restart Inspiron Laptop
A hard reset or force restart of your Dell Inspiron will quickly fix the black screen. Keep tapping the power button until the power light goes off. Detach the adapter or power cord from your device when it turns off.
You could also try removing the battery if it is possible. Detach all external gadgets from your laptop as well. After some time, you can reconnect everything and use the Power key to restart the device.
1. You can restart your laptop using Alt+ F4
- The combination of Alt + F4 closes all open windows and reboots your computer. It’s especially beneficial if you can’t use your mouse or trackpad.
- Click the Alt + F4 keys together and select the desired option, which in this case is “Restart,” to reboot your laptop.
2. The Brownout method
It’s a brownout when your laptop shuts down using the power button without harming the hard disc.
Back in the days of Windows 3.1, you had to “park” the hard drive needle before shutting down Windows; if you didn’t, the moveable needle arm that scans your hard drive would stay in its present location when you rebooted your computer, and you would get into the problems.
The answer is to press and hold the actual power button on your laptop for 6 seconds. This will allow the laptop to “safely” shut down and ensure that all internal components have enough time to close properly without damage.
3. The Black Out Method
This shutdown method (note that I stated shut down rather than restart; this is also true for the brownout method) simultaneously removes all power from your device.
To accomplish this, follow the steps below.
- Disconnect the laptop’s power cord.
- Disconnect the laptop’s battery.
- Your laptop will shut down / blackout once both of these are completed.
IT professionals advise against blackouts since they risk damaging your laptop’s components.
Hold the power button for 30 seconds before plugging your battery and power cable back in to reduce the chance of component damage.
This is because components on your motherboard carry a charge; by holding down the power button and waiting 30 seconds, you are enabling these components to discharge.
If you don’t, you risk causing a power surge in your circuitry, which could destroy your laptop. This carries a slight risk, but it is good practice.
Fix 2 – Remove Third-party Programs/Graphic Drivers on Inspiron Laptop
The Dell laptop won’t start up or has a dark screen. This model’s black screen fault can be quickly fixed by uninstalling or repairing third-party apps. These apps could be corrupt, resulting in issues like the Dell Inspiron black screen.
Use the Programs option in the Control Panel to choose Programs and Features if you want to eliminate them. After that, repair or uninstall any third-party apps. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Select “Start” from the menu bar.
- “Control Panel” will appear when you click on it.
- Select “Programs and Features” from “Programs.”
- Choose which third-party program you’d like to fix or get rid of.
- Click on “Repair” if it appears. If not, select “Change” from the drop-down menu.
- Finish mending the Dell laptop black screen on Inspiron by following the on-screen directions.
How to Troubleshoot Dell Computer Black Screen?
It’s possible that your Dell computer, which runs Windows 10, will have connection issues. Connection issues will result in a blank screen on your Dell computer and prevent you from signing into your account.
Check that the established connection is getting proper signals, that the monitor is powered up, and that the output is working properly. The problem may persist if the same has not been confirmed.
Fix 1 – Sort out Windows Explorer on Computer
The readers will be advised to restart Windows Explorer to resolve any troubles. You may access the Task Manager now.
Processes may be found under More Details. Windows Explorer can be chosen using this option. Then select Restart. The difficulties will be resolved. In addition, the black screen error will be resolved.
Press the “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and “Esc” key together to launch the “Task Manager.”
Select “More details” from the drop-down menu.
Select “Processes” from the drop-down list.
Right-click “Windows Explorer” to fix the problem and select “Restart.”
Fix 2 – Unplug unnecessary gadgets connected to the Computer.
Remove non-essential gadgets from the system, such as your printer, camera, and USB connection, to resolve the Dell computer’s black screen error. The Dell machine should be restarted after that.
If you’re wondering why such a precaution is recommended, remember that these extra gadgets may include bugs. You can encourage problems like this by connecting them to your computer.
Fix 3 – Check interconnection on Windows 10 Computer
Your Dell machine running Windows 10 may have connectivity issues. The Dell computer will go black, and you will be unable to sign in to your account due to connection issues.
As a result, double-check that the established connection is getting proper signals, that the monitor is powered up, and that the output is working properly. The error may persist if it is not confirmed.
Fix 4 – Revitalize the internet connection on Windows 10 Computer.
The Dell display black screen problem can be resolved by refreshing the connection on a Dell computer running Windows 10. The video driver will be restarted as part of this process.
It can be restarted by simultaneously pressing the Windows, Ctrl, Shift, and B keys. Wait a few moments after using the shortcut for the connection to refresh.
Look at the instructions for this patch so you don’t make any mistakes.
At the same moment, press the “Windows” key, “Ctrl” key, “Shift” key, and the “B” letter key.
The video driver is going to be reinstalled. Wait for the connection to be re-establish. The issue will be resolved soon.
So that’s how you may fix your Dell laptop’s dark screen. You might also try reinstalling the necessary Windows components. That is, however, a unique solution.
As a result, we didn’t discuss it in the previous section. If you want to give it a shot, visit one of our previous blogs to learn how to install Windows 10 on your computer.
Furthermore, updating device drivers is usually preferred because it aids in the resolution of a variety of issues on a Windows PC. As a result, regardless of which approach works best for you, maintain your drivers up to date, which ITL Driver Updater may assist you.