What is a Screen Capturing Software Tool?
Screen Capturing implies recording the screen of the computer or laptop. However, screen capturing of a PC or laptop can be of two types, Screenshot, and Screencast. The screen capturing software tools offer the feature of screenshots and screencasting for Windows and macOS systems. But, let us first know what precisely the screenshot and screencasting mean.
The term screenshot implies capturing the data or content at that moment on the PC or laptop in the form of images. On the other hand, the screencast means recording or capturing the Windows or MacBook screen in the video format. Along with the video capturing, you can also record audios.
The use of screenshots has increased these days extensively. We all are aware that Windows or any other systems have a print screen button to capture the screenshot. But, you can’t record the videos using that button. Also, capturing individual image formats are also supported using the print screen button.
The screen capturing tools supports all formats of images as well as videos. Additionally, these tools have built-in editing options that enable users to screenshot the desktop or laptop screen and immediately edit it. Several screenshotting software tools are available for Windows and macOS systems. Some screen capturing devices are open-source, and some are premium.
Elements to consider while choosing the best screen capture tool
Everyone tends to choose the best and affordable screenshot software tool for PC or laptop. As there are extensive tools available, you might get confused in selecting the best one. The best idea is you should look after the factors while choosing the screenshot software. Below is the list of factors you should consider before selecting any screenshot tool for your Windows or Mac OS X:
- The first factor to be considered is the screenshot software device you choose must be easy to use and user-friendly.
- Another factor is your screen capture software tool should possess edit functions and tools.
- Before you select any screen capturing tool, you must first check its hardware or system requirements.
- Your screenshot software device for Windows or macOS should offer a wide range of advanced features.
- You should make sure whether your screenshot software offers regular updates and full-time support to customers.
- The last factor but not the least is to read the reviews of the screen capturing software that you choose.
Best Screen Capture Tool for Windows and macOS Systems
You might have got a precise idea about screen capturing software and how to choose the best screenshot software devices. Below is the list of the best screen capture tools for Windows and macOS systems and their unique characteristics. Some screen capture tools are free to use, and some are the paid tools.
Snipaste is one of the commonly used screen capturing software devices for Windows, macOS, and Linux operating systems.
How to capture the Windows or macOS screen using Snipaste?
It is effortless to capture the screenshot using this tool. Just download Snipaste and start the application. After that, you need to click the F1 button to screenshot the screen and to paste inside this software tool, click F3.
- The feature of snipping detects UI elements automatically, offers various tools for controlling pixel-level, color picker, etc.
- The Snipaste tool offers the best characteristic of supporting multiple screens.
- It has multiple advanced tools, like drag and drop editor, hotkeys, image annotations, undo & redo options, etc.
- Images or videos that you screenshot from the Windows or Mac system are backed-up and restored automatically in this device.
The Shutter is a fully-featured screen capture software tool. It is an open-source tool for Linux operating systems. Using this device, you can screenshot a particular portion of the screen, a full mesh of your window, menu, tooltips, and web page.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Shutter?
Once you download and install Shutter, open the application and click on the selection tool. Choose the area or portion of the screen to capture and click the enter button.
- Screenshotting the computer screen using Shutter is very straightforward.
- It incorporates multiple editing tools to make your screenshot more attractive.
- Shutter allows you to share the edited screenshots with your friends and social media with a single click.
- A comprehensive set of Shutter plugins allow users to add effects to the screenshot.
3. FastStone Capture
FastStone Capture is an intuitive and sturdy screenshot and video recording software tool. The screenshots and video recordings can be edited using powerful editing tools.
How to screenshot the computer screen using FastStone Capture?
If you do not have this application, then download and install it on your PC. After installing, start the application. You will notice the print screen button in the application.
- It has a Capture Panel that enables users to access the FastStone tools quickly.
- You can screenshot any window screen, a portion of the screen, the entire web page using the scrolling option, etc.
- Multiple windows capturing feature is also supported.
- It offers a broad range of effects to apply to the screenshot.
- You can edit the screenshot using arrows, watermarks, colors, texts, and captions.
Skitch is another full screen capturing software device specially developed for only Mac OS X users. It is compatible to work with the MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Skitch?
Using Skitch, you can screenshot any window screen in three distinct ways.
- Open the Skitch software, and you will see the Screen Snap button. Click on that button to capture the screen.
- There is a top menu bar icon in the application that helps you to capture the screen.
- When you are using Skitch, there is a Capture menu available to screenshot any window.
- It is a free and open-source screen capture software tool.
- Skitch has an intuitive and sturdy interface. Novice users can use this application with ease.
- It supports all major image formats.
- There are several modes available for capturing, like a crosshair, timed crosshair, full-screen, menu, camera, window, etc.
Monosnap screen capture software is a powerful tool for Microsoft Windows and macOS systems. It supports two modes of screenshot, full-screen screenshot and an area or portion of the window.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Monosnap?
When you start the Monosnap application, you will notice its icon in your window’s status bar. Whenever you desire to capture any portion of the window or full-screen, click on the icon and choose any one option:
- Capture Area
- Capture Full-screen
- Capture Previous Area
- Record Video
- Monosnap has an image editor that has tools, like line, rectangle, arrow, test, etc.
- After you capture the window screen, you can save the screenshot, upload to the cloud, or edit it and save it.
- There is a blur option used to hide the personal details on the screenshot.
SnapCrab is an open-source and great screenshot application. It is primarily used to generate tutorial videos for any website. SnapCrab is compatible with Microsoft Windows systems.
How to screenshot the computer screen using SnapCrab?
Using the SnapCrab tool, Taking screenshots of the screen is very easy. You can use the floating toolbar for capturing any screen. Also, there is a tray icon menu from where you can launch the capture option or can use keyboard shortcuts for a screenshot.
- You can capture the entire screen or the portion of the window screen.
- There is a zoom-in option that allows users to enlarge the desired portion of the screenshot.
- A significant advantage of this tool is users can set a timer for the automatic screenshot.
- Your screenshots get saved automatically in PNG format, and you can share them on social media.
Another open-source and free screen capturing software tool is TinyTake. It is a faster and reliable software tool that can record videos as well. TinyTake is compatible with Microsoft Windows and macOS systems.
How to screenshot the computer screen using TinyTake?
TinyTake software device offers an easy method of capturing the window screen. For capturing a particular region, you need to press the Shift+PrtScn buttons. If you wish to capture the entire window, you must press Alt+PrtScn. For full-screen, press Ctrl+PrtScn, and for capturing an image from a webcam, press Ctrl+4.
- It has an intuitive and sturdy interface.
- TinyTake allows users to capture the screen, edit it, and share it with anyone.
- There is a broad set of tools for annotating screenshots and recorded videos.
Lightshot is a lightweight and straightforward screenshot software tool. Anyone can use this tool for capturing the window screen and the selected portion of the window. It is compatible with Microsoft Windows and macOS systems.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Lightshot?
Lightshot offers the easiest way of capturing screenshots. You need to download and install this software. After that, start the application and press PrtScn whenever you need a screenshot. For the desired areas, select the specific portion and press the PrtScn button.
- Lightshot is very easy to use and user-friendly.
- You can share your screenshots and upload them to the cloud.
- It provides multiple editing tools to annotate your screenshot.
9. Gadwin PrintScreen
Gadwin PrintScreen is an easy to use and sturdy screen capturing software tool. Users can assign the desired hotkeys to capture the entire screen or a portion of the screen. It is compatible to work with Microsoft Windows systems only.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Gadwin PrintScreen?
You can press the default keyboard button, PrtScr, for capturing screenshots. But, you can assign hotkey combos as per your requirements.
- Gadwin PrintScreen allows users to screenshot the entire screen or a particular area of the window screen.
- Users are offered with customizable export options.
- Screenshots can be copied to the clipboard.
10. Screenshot Captor
Screenshot Captor is another lightweight and powerful screen capturing software tool for Windows systems. It offers a provision of capturing the window screen in multiple ways.
How to screenshot the computer screen using a Screenshot captor?
Like many other applications, the Screenshot captor also supports the keyboard’s PrtScn button to take a screenshot. Pressing the PrtScn button will capture the full-screen of the window. If you wish to capture the active window, you have to press Ctrl+PrtScn. For capturing the selected portion, you need to press Ctrl+Alt+PrtScn. It also supports taking screenshots of scrolling web pages using Ctrl+Shift+PrtScn.
- Screenshot Captor is an open-source tool.
- It supports taking a screenshot of images from the webcam.
- Users can capture screenshots of multiple monitors.
- It incorporates multiple filters and effects to apply to the screenshot.
Grabilla is an easy to use and straightforward screen capturing software tool. The best part of this software device is it captures a portion of the window, and the link of that image is generated automatically. You can share this link with others.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Grabilla?
The default hotkey used by the application to capture the screenshot is PrtScn. But, users can modify the hotkey as per the needs by using the Ctrl and Alt buttons of the keyboard.
- Users can take a screenshot in a single click.
- It has a drag and drop option that allows images to upload on the internet.
- The video recording or screencasting feature is powerful.
- After you take a screenshot, a link is created automatically.
12. Snipping Tool
Snipping Tool is the most-used tool powered by Microsoft. The snipping tool’s best feature is it takes a screenshot of the window screen and copies the screenshot’s images and text.
How to screenshot the computer screen using the Snipping Tool?
A broad set of options are available in the snipping tool to capture various types of screen modes. It supports four different snips: Free-from Snip, Rectangular Snip, Window Snip, and Full-screen Snip. If you wish to capture a snip, start the Snipping tool application, click on the mode option, and select any one out of four. After that, choose the area of the screen that you want to capture.
- Snipping Tool enables users to take the screenshot of the entire screen or a portion of the screen in four distinct modes.
- Created snips can be annotated using advanced editing tools, like colored pens, highlighter, etc.
- It is compatible with only Microsoft Windows operating systems.
13. Cloud App
Cloud App is another highly robust screen capture software tool. The great advantage of using this tool is that it is an all-in-one tool that allows users to record videos, webcams, GIFs, etc. The CLoud App is available for Windows, macOS, as well as Linux systems.
How to screenshot the computer screen using a cloud App?
The Cloud App has an intuitive, drag, and drop editor to capture the window screen. You need to drag and click the full-screen or the portion of the screen. Additionally, the link is also generated automatically.
- It is an all-in-one software tool that allows users to record videos, capture screens, and create GIFs.
- After capturing the screenshot or recording a video, the editing tools allow you to annotate.
- It also supports webcam screen recording, uploading files on the cloud, and sharing files with others.
7capture is a faster and easier screen capturing software tool. The best part of this tool is it makes the window transparent background before you capture the screenshot. It makes the borders of the screenshot image rounded.
How to screenshot the computer screen using 7capture?
7capture software tool offers the most accessible and most straightforward way to take a screenshot of the window screen. You first need to select the window screen that has to be captured and then click on the capture button. Additionally, it also supports scrolling features for the larger window screen.
- 7capture is a free tool and has an intuitive interface.
- It supports all major image formats, like JPEG, PNG, and GIF images.
- Rounded corners and the transparent background of the screenshots make it more attractive.
Hotshots screenshot software tool is a simple tool. Users can take a screenshot and annotate it using various editing tools, like adding text, arrows, highlighting text, etc.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Hotshots?
Taking screenshots using the Hotshots application is the most straightforward task. When you start this application, you will notice the button having the label “Take a new snapshot.”
- Using this tool, you can capture an entire window screen, an active screen, or a portion of the window screen.
- After taking a screenshot, this tool saves it automatically. You can open this file for editing and annotating.
- It supports a multi-monitor feature.
- Hotshots tool has a built-in magnification feature.
Recommended Article – 30 Best Free Online Movie Streaming Sites in September 2020
WinSnap screen capturing software tool has an easy to use interface. Like the 7capture tool, this tool also makes the screen’s background transparent before taking the screenshot.
How to screenshot the computer screen using WinSnap?
WinSnap software tool offers an efficient way to take the screenshot of the window screen. There are multiple hotkeys available to capture the screenshot. It can also capture numerous regions. Just select one region, press Ctrl, and select the other areas to capture the screenshot.
- WinSnap supports taking screenshots of more than one portion of the window screen.
- There are numerous built-in effects and presets to annotate images.
Snaggy is a built-in screenshot software tool in the Microsoft Windows operating systems. You do not have to download any other applications on the computer system to capture the window screen.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Snaggy?
With one single click, you can capture the entire window screen using the Snaggy screenshot device. Open the window screen that you wish to capture and press the Alt+PrtScn button. Your screenshot is ready. Paste this screenshot using the Ctrl+V button.
- After capturing the screenshot, you can crop, rotate, and edit it.
- You can also create an account, which helps you in managing old images.
- It is effortless to use and has an efficient workflow.
Gyazo is one of the most-used and popular screenshot capturing devices. This device supports the capturing of any media, like images, GIFs, etc.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Gyazo?
Gyazo screen capturing tool has an easy to use interface. It offers a simple way to take screenshots. You need to download and install this application. Once done, start the application. Drag the screen portion with the mouse to capture and release the mouse on the application screen.
- It offers the most comfortable and manageable way to capture any screen.
- You can share anything instantly, and the screenshots are uploaded automatically.
19. Awesome Screenshot
Awesome Screenshot is one of the leading and high-rated software tools used widely. More than 2,00,000 users trust this application due to its advanced features.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Awesome Screenshot?
Awesome Screenshot is a Chrome extension. Download this extension. Whenever you desire to screenshot any webpage, click on the icon of the Awesome Screenshot tool displayed in the Chrome extension. You will get three options:
- Capture visible part of the page
- Capture selected area
- Capture entire page
- Awesome Screenshot device does not require any application to download on the Windows desktop.
- It allows the recording of the screen as well as the camera.
- You can take a screenshot, annotate it, and share it with others.
Greenshot is another intuitive and popular screen capturing software tool for Microsoft Windows operating systems. It offers multiple options for screen capturing and incorporates advanced features.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Greenshot?
The Greenshot tool offers two methods for capturing the screenshot. The first is to start the application; the system tray icon will be visible, right-click on it, and then choose the type of screenshot to capture. The other method is to use keyboard shortcuts.
It would be best if you pressed the Ctrl+PrtScn button for capturing the full screen. To screenshot a particular region, you must press the PrtScn button. For capturing the window, you should press Alt+PrtScn.
- Taking screenshots with keyboard shortcuts is exceptionally manageable.
- Editing and annotating the screenshots.
- It enables you to take the entire screen image, a portion of the screen, and the window.
21. Light Screen
Light Screen is another simple tool for managing and capturing any screen. It is easy to use as it works with hotkeys. It is the device for capturing screens on the windows and Linux systems.
How to screenshot the computer screen using the Light SCreen?
The Light Screen screenshot device has the system tray icons that allow users to capture the screenshot of either the entire screen or a small portion of the screen. Additionally, there are global hotkeys assigned for every type of screenshot.
- The Light Screen tool incorporates the system tray icons that make users capture the screen easily.
- Users get access to global hotkeys and six configurable actions.
- The window preview can be displayed using an integrated image viewer.
- It supports multi-monitors.
Fireshot is one of the best screenshot software tools on the windows systems. The great benefit for uses is it allows them to capture the screenshot as per their demands.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Fireshot?
Like the Awesome Screenshot tool, Fireshot is also an extension that supports multiple browsers, like Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. When you wish to screenshot any web page, click on the Fireshot extension. It will represent a list of options for capturing the entire page, the visible part, selected part, etc.
- Using FIreshot, you can capture the full-screen, a small portion of the screen, the entire web page, or a single part of the web page.
- The editing features of the Fireshot are intuitive and straightforward.
- You can also add watermarks, footer, header, arrows, shapes, texts, etc. in the screenshot.
- The screenshot can be uploaded and shared with others.
Jing is one of the best products powered by TechSmith. It is an advanced tool that captures the screen and shares it on the website, screencast.com. Additionally, you can also record the video playing on the screen.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Jing?
When you download this application on your systems, you will notice the sun-like mark. Click on it, and it will display three options, Capture, History, and More. You should click on the Capture icon to screenshot the screen.
- Jing screen capturing tool is easy to use and has an intuitive interface.
- When you screenshot any image or the screen, you can share it quickly with others.
- Another feature of the Jing is you can upload the images and their URLs on YouTube, Flickr, etc.
- It is beneficial in eliminating brand names from screenshotted images.
ShareX is one of the high-rated and commonly used screen capturing devices. It is an open-source tool for Windows systems and can be used by anyone. ShareX device also supports recording the window screen.
How to screenshot the computer screen using ShareX?
Capturing a screenshot using the ShareX tool is very straightforward. Download the application and install it. Enter into the application, and you will notice the main menu. In the main menu, like Capture, Upload, Workflow, Tools, etc.
- ShareX offers the most comfortable way to capture and share screenshots.
- The customizable workflow of ShareX makes it stand at the top place in its domain.
- Users can capture a single region, the entire screen, and the window.
- It incorporates productivity tools, like color picker, image editor, effects, etc.
Snagit is one of the commonly used and reliable tools for taking screenshots. It is compatible to work with Microsoft Windows and macOS systems. The best feature of the Snagit is the Smart Windows Detection that crops images automatically.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Snagit?
With elementary steps, you can take the screenshot using the Snagit tool. Start the Snagit application, and you will notice the Capture button. Otherwise, you can use the keyboard shortcut, PrtScr. After that, click and drag the crosshairs on the entire screen or the part of the screen.
- Snagit is compatible to record audios from Google Hangout and Skype.
- It can capture an image, video, audio, and mobile.
- Snagit incorporates special effects and Snagit stamps to add on the screenshots or recorded videos.
- Additionally, it supports webcam recording and video trimming.
PicPick is another all-in-one screen capturing software tool. It incorporates many other devices, like image editor, colour picker, colour palette, etc. You can screenshot the entire screen, active screen, or the specific area of the screen.
How to screenshot the computer screen using PicPick?
Specific steps are required to capture any window screen using the PicPick device. Start the application, click on the File option, later go to the Program Options, and click on the Capture button.
- Users can take the screenshot of the scrolling windows or any region of the window screen.
- After capturing screenshots, you can edit and annotate them using text, arrows, highlighter, colour picker, etc.
- It incorporates a floating widget Capture Bar, which allows you to take the screenshot effectively.
27. Ashampoo Snap
Ashampoo Snap is a sturdy and robust screenshot software tool. This device is trusted by millions of users across the globe. It has a manageable and accessible interface. Novice users feel comfortable using this device.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Ashampoo Snap?
After starting the Ashampoo Snap software, you will notice the Capture bar and the system tray at the screen’s top. Using the Capture bar, you can easily capture the screenshot of any screen.
- Ashampoo Snap is one of the quicker and faster screenshots taking tools.
- It offers a provision of saving videos and images from the internet very quickly and easily.
- The Ashampoo Snap’s additional feature is it enables users to create GIFs from the small video clips.
Screenpresso screen capturing software for Windows and macOS systems is light-weight and sturdy. The interface of this software tool is spotless and precise.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Screenpresso?
Using the Screenpresso device is very easy. You can capture a screenshot using the PrtScn button of the keyboard. Your mouse in this software will work as the crosshair and allows you to select the region or area to capture.
- Screenpresso allows users to capture video as well as images on the PC screen.
- After taking the screenshots of the screen, you can edit them using tools, like a highlighter, adding a watermark, document generator, etc.
- The drag and drop editor helps users to attach the screenshot easily to emails.
Camtasia is another useful software product powered by TechSmith. It is an all-in-one screen capturing and screen recording software tool. Camtasia works very well with Microsoft Windows and macOS systems.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Camtasia?
Camtasia video and screen recording tool uses the combination of hotkeys for starting and stopping of the recording.
- Camtasia tool allows users to record videos for tutorials, training, YouTube, webinars, etc.
- You can record videos from websites, YouTube, video calls, etc.
- It incorporates advanced templates, packages, presets, and many other tools to enhance the recorded video.
30. Nimbus Screenshot
Nimbus Screenshot is another screen capturing and video recording software for Windows and macOS systems.
How to screenshot the computer screen using Nimbus Screenshot?
Nimbus Screenshot screen capturing device offers three distinct ways to take screenshots. There is a button of the Nimbus Bar in the address. Using this button, you can easily capture a screenshot. Another method is to use the context menu. The last option is to use a hotkey combination.
- Using the Nimbus Screenshot tool, you can screenshot the whole web page or its particular part.
- You can use the watermark option to add watermarks to images.
- Additionally, users can crop, trim, edit, and annotate images.
Advantages of Screen Capture Software Tools
The screen capturing tool for Windows and Mac OS X systems are used in multiple domains. It is incredibly beneficial in businesses, the educational sector, etc. Let us now focus on the benefits of the screenshot software device:
- In the business domain, screenshot capturing devices can help employers view their employees’ desktop activities.
- Another advantage of screen capturing software for Windows and macOS is companies can carry out practical employee training. Doing this will enhance the growth and productivity of the company and the skills of employees.
- In the educational field, teachers can record the teaching video and can share it with students. Additionally, if there is any modification in the video, editing tools will help in modifying it.
- The screen capturing software devices are very useful in online learning. Students can record the entire session and listen to it later according to their pace.
- As screencasting offers video and audio recording, students feel very comfortable with visual learning.
- The more advanced and current use of the screen capturing software is to screenshot any image, may it be funny or informational, from the desktop or Windows, and share it with others.
In this article, we have covered the popular screen capturing and screenshot devices for Windows and Mac OS X systems. The screen capturing and screenshot software tool has become essential these days. It has made many chores easier for humans. Still, there are many other software tools available. But, we have covered the commonly used and highly-featured screen capturing software tools with their characteristics.