Have you erased all your text messages by accident or cleared your inbox for some space? Backing up is one of the best ways to retrieve text messages on your android phone. Thinking about ways to backup text messages on android?
We have got you covered. This article provides 4 different methods to back up text messages on an Android device. With these methods, you can have more control over where you want the text to be saved and whether you wish to initiate a manual backup or not.
Methods to Backup Text Messages
- Using Built-in Google Drive App
- Using SMS Backup & Restore App
- Creating SMS Backup With Cloud Storage
- Install an Alternate SMS App
Methods to Backup Text Messages on Android
1. Using Built-in Google Drive App
This is a perfect method for people not interested in downloading a third-party app. It also backups up the call history, contacts, app data, and device settings and provides a complete backup. Follow the steps below to backup text messages on android using the built-in google drive app.
- Open the Settings app on your android phone.
- From the menu, scroll down and click on Google.
- Under services on this list, click on the backup option.
- Click on the backup now option.
It will back up the messages on the Google Drive app using your Gmail account.
Note: To restore this, you should do it from an android device. This can be done by logging in to your google account on another phone. Then, choose the restore option.
2. Using SMS Backup & Restore app
You should have installed a third-party app to move the messages without a rooted device. You can save text messages like an SD card or other online backup services with the correct software.
I will suggest the SMS backup & restore the app to back up text messages as it is one of the most popular. Follow the steps below to backup text messages on android using the SMS backup & restore the app.
- Open SMS backup & restore the app.
- You have to allow all the permission access to this app.
- Click on the three lines at the top.
- From the list of options, click on the Back up now option.
- Turn on the toggle button next to messages. If you want the phone call back, turn on that toggle button.
- Turn on the toggle button next to Google Drive and click on Backup. It also has other options like dropbox and your phone. But Google Drive is the best option.
- It will back up all the messages.
3. Creating SMS Backup With Cloud Storage
You can back up text messages without using cloud storage apps. IDrive backs up the message without using the second app. The advantage of this app is it also backs up phone calls. Follow the steps below to backup text messages on android without cloud storage.
- Download and install the IDrive app on your android phone.
- Create a new account. Also, enable private encryption as it provides more security.
- Click on the backup option in the middle of the screen.
- Check SMS and call logs in the list.
- Click on backup now.
- Once the backup is complete, click on the access and restore option.
- Click on SMS to see all your backed-up text messages and conversations.
4. Install an Alternate SMS App
You can use Microsoft’s SMS organizer app for backing up text messages on android. You can also make this your default SMS backup. Follow the steps below to back up text messages on android using Microsoft’s SMS organizer app.
- Download and install Microsoft’s SMS organizer app on your android phone from the Google play store.
- Select the language that you want to use.
- Click on the continue button.
- Enter your phone number and click on Next.
- An OTP will be generated. You can copy and enter the OTP from the notification pop-up. Enter the OTP.
- Since you are a new user, you will not find any backup. Click on Skip at the top-right corner.
- It will start to organize all your messages. Click on get started.
- Now, you can see all your messages in an organized manner.
- In the upper right corner, tap on the three dots.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on the backup & restore option.
- Select a google drive account.
- Click on backup.
- You should specify how you want the backup to be done for auto backup.
This app also has some other advanced options which you can explore.
I hope the above article has given you an idea about backing text messages on Android phones. So, the next time you have accidentally deleted an important message or brought a new android phone and want to see the old messages back, you can easily backup them using these apps.