Avast is one of the best free antivirus software that is available for Windows users. It has almost as many goodies as that of a purchasable antivirus tool. The Avast free antivirus has plenty of very useful features like a built-in VPN, malware protection, firewalls, and anti-phishing protection for your computer.
However, many users have complained that the Avast antivirus window won’t open on their systems, because of unknown circumstances. Since it is extremely important for all computers to have an antivirus program on your computers, you have to fix this issue as soon as possible. If you are an Avast antivirus service user who’s facing this issue, we are rushing to your aid through this article.
Why Do I Face The Avast Won’t Open Problem On My Windows 10 PC?
This issue can come in different variants ranging from the antivirus failing to start and a full-blown Blue Screen of Death error (BSoD).
- Improper installation of the Avast Antivirus
When you install the antivirus or any application for this matter, you have to make sure that the installation is complete, before you close the installation wizard. You may not be able to use the application if the application is not installed. If the install wizard does not roll back the broken Avast installation, you will still have these files, which are quite useless when incomplete. Make sure the Avast antivirus setup completes without any interruptions or system shutdowns.
- Malfunctioning of the Avast Antivirus
If you have noticed some bugs or errors related to the functioning of the Avast antivirus tool, there are chances for the Avast antivirus to not launch on your computer or cause other problems. Restarting the application or reinstalling it can help you fix the issue.
Solutions To The Avast Won’t Open Issues On Your Windows PC
The following techniques are some of the suggested solutions to use when the Avast antivirus utility fails to start on your computer. If you are worried about the security of your computer, you needn’t fret. Because the Windows Defender will automatically be enabled when you start repairing or restarting the Avast antivirus.
- Repair The Avast Antivirus Service
- Restart Avast Antivirus Service
- Disable And Reenable The Avast Antivirus
- Disable The Windows Firewall Protection
- Perform A Clean Boot Of Your Windows OS
- Check The WMI Repository
- Download Windows Updates
- Reset The PC
- Reinstall The Operating System
Fixing The Avast Won’t Open Error
Method 1 – Repair The Avast Antivirus Service
Here, repair refers to the uninstallation and reinstallation of the Avast tool. This will set the configurations and settings of the antivirus to default. There are multiple ways to open the Avast uninstall utility. We’ll discuss the easiest one.
- Launch the Control Panel window and open the Programs and Features option.
- You’ll see a large chart of all the applications installed on the computer. Locate the Avast tool and click on it to select it.
- Once it is chosen, click Uninstall to open the Avast uninstall utility.
- In the Uninstall wizard, select Repair and wait for the repairing process to end.
This will repair the Avast Antivirus software. Close the repair wizard after this operation is finished.
If this does not work for you, you can actually uninstall it and install Avast Antivirus again. The Avast installer can be downloaded from the Avast website.
Method 2 – Restart Avast Antivirus Service
The problem could also lie with the running process of the antivirus and not its files. This means that we have to deal with only the Avast service. Restarting the service can help with deleting temporary system files and resetting configurations back to default, without having to remove the application itself.
Use these steps to relaunch the Avast antivirus service.
- Open the Run dialog box (press Windows + R keys) and execute the services.msc command, by hitting the Enter key or pressing the OK button. This is the Run command for the Services window on Windows 10.
- From the large list of system services that are either running or disabled, navigate to the Avast Antivirus service.
It should be on the top part of the list, considering that its title starts with an A.
- Double-click on the service to open the Properties window for it.
- In the General tab, click on the Startup type menu to unfold it.
- Choose the Automatic option and select the Start button. This will restart the service. You might see an error message that says something like this –
“Windows could not start the Avast Antivirus program service on Local computer”
We have mentioned the steps to fix this issue, below.
- Select Apply and OK to keep these changes.
Once you finish restarting the service, open the Avast utility to see if it launches.
Solving the “Windows couldn’t start the Avast Antivirus program service on Local computer” issue
- Open the Avast Antivirus properties and go into the Log on tab.
- Click on the Browse button.
- Under the Enter the object name to select text box, type in your account’s username, and hit the Check Names button.
- If the name is available, select OK and close this window.
- Once, you’re done, restart the Avast antivirus service, with the steps mentioned above.
You should now be able to restart the Avast service without any issue.
Method 3 – Disable And Reenable The Avast Antivirus
This method is not to be confused with restarting the Avast service. We will be turning the antivirus off and back on. When the antivirus is turned off, the Windows Defender tool takes over the computer’s security.
This is your procedure to fix Avast by disabling it.
- Open the Task tray, which is placed on the right side of the taskbar. For those who did not know, it is the upward-facing arrow near the date and time.
- Right-click on the Avast icon and it’ll open a pop-up menu. The Avast icon may also be outside the task tray.
- Select Avast shields control > Disable for 10 minutes from the sub-context menus.
- An Avast Component Stop window will appear, where you have to choose the OK, STOP option.
Now, you can wait it out or you can enable it manually, again by selecting the Enable all shields option in the Avast Shield Controls menu.
Note: Each antivirus has a unique User Interface (UI) and so does Avast. We have mentioned the steps to disable the Avast antivirus only and not any other antivirus program.
Method 4 – Disable The Windows Firewall Protection
The Windows Defender Firewall is very useful but it can stop legit processes and applications from running, for the fear of inviting viruses and other malware. You can try disabling Windows Defender Firewall through the Windows Control Panel.
Method 5 – Perform A Clean Boot Of Your Windows OS
- Launch the Run tool and execute the msconfig command.
This is the Run command for launching the System configuration window
- In the General tab, check the Load Startup items option under the Selective Startup radio button.
- Now, go into the Services tab and enable the Hide all Microsoft services option. After this, click on the Disable all button, at the bottom of the window.
- Move on to the Startup tab and select the Open Task Manager link.
- In the Task Manager window, go into the Services tab and change the status of all processes to Disabled.
- Close the Task Manager and quit the system configurations window.
- Restart your PC to perform a clean boot of your PC, then.
Method 6 – Check The WMI Repository
The WMI repository (Windows Management Instrumentation repository) is the Windows component that allows the system administrators the privileges to allow applications or other tools to monitor the computer. If this component has corrupted files or is damaged, there could be issues regarding the antivirus software.
This is the procedure to check the status of the WMI repository and reset it, if necessary.
- Bring up the Administrator: Command Prompt window. You just have to search for cmd in the search field and select the Run as Administrator option.
- Execute the following command –
- If the output says that the WMI repository is consistent, run this command:
- If the results read ‘WMI repository is inconsistent, type in the following command and execute it.
- After these situations have been diffused, restart your PC and now check if your PC can recognize Avast.
Method 7 – Download Windows Updates
- Push the Windows and I keys to open the Settings window. You can also launch this through the Start menu.
- Click on the Updates & Security settings tile and will be taken to the Windows Update page.
- Select Check for updates to make the computer comb the internet for available updates for your OS.
- If there are any available updates, click on the Download and Install button, which is below the list of updates.
- After the updates finish downloading, restart the PC to install the updates onto your computer and apply the new changes.
Method 8 – Reset The PC
- Open the Start menu and click on the gear icon on the left panel to open the Windows Settings. You can also press the Windows and I keys on your keyboard to start this
- Go to the Updates & Security settings and click on the Recovery tab in the left panel.
- In the Reset this PC section, click on the Get Started button.
- Make your choices between keeping and deleting the contents of your hard disk. In this case, we recommend removing the files.
The resetting process can take around two hours or more, depending on the contents of your storage and the RAM capacity. You will have to take backups of your files before you start resetting the PC.
Method 9 – Reinstall The Operating System
If none of the previous methods worked for you, your last option is to reinstall the Microsoft Windows Operating System (OS) on your system. You will need an extracted copy of the OS installation media on a USB drive or any compatible storage unit, that can be accessed through the BIOS menu.
Plug the storage device with the installation media into your computer and start it up. You will be taken to the OS setup wizard. Make the choices of your need and do as the on-screen instructions ask you to do, for installing the OS again. If you are not able to see the installation wizard, you will have to prioritize the drive containing the installation media.
This article has everything you could do about it when Avast fails to launch on your computer. If it doesn’t work for you, speak to Avast support to see if they can help. Happy Browsing!
Why Is My Avast Not Opening?
The Avast tool will not open because of the improper Avast installation or the malfunctioning of the antivirus tool. You can make your antivirus run again by restarting the Avast service on your computer or repairing it with the Uninstall Avast Antivirus window.
How Do I Repair Avast?
To fix Avast, you can try to restart the Avast service, repair it, disable the firewall, take a look at the WMI repository, clean boot Windows, reset your PC, download the latest version of Windows OS, and do a clean install of the Windows OS.
Why Is My Antivirus Not Opening?
Your antivirus program may not open on your computer due to factors like an incomplete installation of the antivirus tool, or the antivirus program is malfunctioning. If you have another antivirus, it could add the antivirus installer to its block list and prevent it from running.
How Do I Open Avast?
To open the Avast Antivirus window, you can open it through these options –
The App’s desktop shortcut
Application executable in the installation location
Start menu shortcut
Task tray shortcut