Automation testing is the process of running software programs that can automatically execute test cases and produce the test results with tools, eliminating the need for human intervention.
It is usually carried out after manual testing, saving the company the time and scope of human errors up to a great extent. Once activated, automated tests can be run any number of times to test the same application, thus decreasing the tautological manual work.
The demand for automation is increasing everywhere, also in the software testing industry as well. Every software or application testing community (i.e., uTest, Subreddits, etc.) on the internet are talking about the new or better tools for day to day testing activities.
There is an increasing need for automation in software testing since we are evolving into a world where everything is digitizing, and there is never a lack of competition. Hence, there is no room for error for developers, nor they have much time to waste.
Let us check out the top 10 best automation testing tools for software testing, which can ease the life of developers and testers:
Selenium is an open-source tool that helps in automating web browsers. The tool implements a single interface design that lets developers write test scripts in languages such as Ruby, Java, NodeJS, PHP, Perl, Python, and C#.
This testing framework performs web application testing across various browsers and platforms like Windows, Mac, and Linux. It also offers a record and playback feature so that developers can write tests without learning Selenium IDE.
The Selenium framework supports some of the largest and most recognized browser vendors. Because of its popularity, Selenium is a native part of their browser. It is unquestionably the basis for most of the other software testing tools in general.c
- Selenium helps in managing and regulating the speed of test cases.
- The framework allows the execution of the complete Test Suite.
- Runs the currently selected test
- Enables users to pause and resume a particular test case
- Helps step into each specific command in the test script
- Supports group all the Selenese Commands together and make them execute as a single operation
- Selenium is not an all in one stop for testers; you still require third party language bindings, external libraries, etc.
- Selenium requires a high cost for setting up the framework, even though parallel testing is possible, with hardware changing with projects.
- Creating steady and maintainable Selenium tests is not straightforward since it requires proficient knowledge in popular programming languages.
2. UFT One
Formally known as UFT, UFT One is a popular tool for commercial use; it is used to test web, mobile, desktop, and RPA applications. The transition of UFT and UFT one helped in introducing several capabilities for API testing. UFT One provides a convenient option to test the AUT that works on desktop, web, and mobile.
Micro Focus UFT One automates functional testing through an automatic, visual user experience that binds manual testing, automated software testing, and framework-based testing together in a single integrated development environment.
UFT One provides several exceptional abilities for smart object detection, image-based object detection, and correction. The tool also supports keyword and scripting interfaces and features a graphical UI. Refer to this article for tips in UFT One.
- UFT One is easy to use since it does not involve any high-level programming language.
- UFT One provides an excellent mechanism and algorithm for the Object Identification process.
- It can comfortably be integrated with the Quality Centre for test execution.
- UFT supports all automation frameworks, like Data-driven testing, Keyword-driven testing, Modular and Hybrid approaches, etc.
- The tool supports record and playback ability.
- UFT one also supports non-recording automation utilizing descriptive programming.
- The process is quite costly for licensing and setting up.
- You cannot execute multiple threads/instances like in the case of Selenium Grid.
- Since it supports only VB script, the Object-Oriented approach to test automation is challenging.
- Need to buy different add-ins- Java, Oracle, SAP, .NET, etc.
Like UFT One, TestComplete includes an object recognition engine that can accurately and precisely detect dynamic UI elements. This tool can primarily useful in applications that have vibrant and frequently changing UI.
As a product of SmartBear, TestComplete can also be easily integrated with other products offered by SmartBear like SmartBear, SwaggerAPI, ReadyAPI, etc. Testers can comfortably use TestComplete’s record and playback feature. They can also insert checkpoints into test steps to verify results, which can be pretty handy.
- The tool’s UI is well designed, and it is way easy to use, so now,
- SmartBear community support is beneficial, and SmartBear responds to our ticket requests very quickly.
- TestComplete is the perfect tool for automation. It allows users to develop automated tests for all the other kinds of web applications.
- It supports multiple scripting languages and supports multiple browsers.
- The recent update has equipped TestComplete’s Object Recognition Engine now with Artificial Intelligence.
- The licensing cost of TestCompleteis relatively high.
- It only supports Windows OS.
- Initial official documentation of the tool can be too tedious.
- Users may experience stability issues.
- Not as powerful and stable as other tools like QTP.
Katalon Studio is a compelling and extensive automation solution for testing API-based, Web, mobile, and desktop applications. It also has many rich features in its armory for multiple types of testing, supporting multiple operating systems like Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Katalon studio’s robustness, reliability, and stability can be deduced from the fact that it was recently awarded Gartner Peer Insights customer’s choice. Katalon Studio greatly contributes to a unique but integrated environment for testers who struggle to integrate and deploy different frameworks and libraries in tools like Selenium and Appium.
The tool acknowledges Groovy as its scripting language & supports external Java libraries. Katalon allows users to reuse Selenium scripts written in Java and use them directly in the tool. It works seamlessly with CI systems like Jenkins, Bamboo, and TeamCity. Katalon Studio can also be integrated with various other tools such as JIRA, qTest, Slack, Git, Kobiton, and more.
- It is free to use the tool.
- Robust and fully automatic solution.
- The UI is very pleasing.
- Katalon Studio can be integrated with DevOps CI/CD workflow like Jenkins and Slack.
- The tool provides learning materials.
- It is easy to install a tool with a smooth and pleasing UI.
- Katalon Studio supports several types of testing, like API testing, data-driven, cross-browser testing, etc.
- Selenium and TestComplete are the biggest rivals of Katalon studio; They support languages like Java, but Katalon only supports Groovy as its primary language.
- The documentation process is a bit irritating. It’s too long, complicated, and confuses as it’s not updated along with new version releases.
- Testers may encounter some bugs.
5. IBM Rational Functional Tester (RFT)
Rational Functional Tester (RFT) is a popular automation testing tool developed by IBM. This tool’s primary application is to automate functional and regression testing and conduct other tests like GUI testing and data-driven testing.
IBM Rational Functional Tester is suitable for testing applications developed using various languages and development environments such as web, .Net, SAP Java, Visual Basic, Siebel, PowerBuilder, Adobe Flex, and Dojo Toolkit
IBM Rational Functional Tester(RFT) can also be integrated with IBM Rational Quality Manager, a test management tool. RFT also provides a rich API to help its users to optimize the script generated through the recorder. IBM RFT is one of the best
- IBM RFT supports massive testing activities
- Operates with various programming languages
- It does not have any downtime.
- An execution log in HTML provides detailed information on verifications and screenshots with timestamps.
- In case of any query or reporting of problems, IBM RFT has a quick response rate and good support.
- IBM issues regular updates to supervise customer needs and fix issues.
- RFT consists of a concrete object inspector, extensive functional library, and playback monitor.
- Users have to clean prior installations or reinstall Java if there were an error in the installation process.
- RFT does not provide any free services.
- There is no or minimal support of browsers other than Internet Explorer.
- IBM RFT uses a lot of memory users and can experience memory issues on large and extensive tests.
One of the oldest and youngest tools, Ranorex, provides its users with a comprehensive and professional set of Web, mobile, desktop, and API testing features. Like Katalon Studio, Ranorex makes automation testing a piece of cake for testers with its user- friendly and intuitive GUI, record/playback, and script generation. Testers can also integrate Ranorex with Selenium.
With over 14,000 global users accelerating their testing procedures with Ranorex Studio, this all-in-one tool for test automation has a click and go interface. Hence it is easy to use for beginners who do not have much knowledge in coding. Even with all this, it is one of the most powerful tools for automation experts with a full IDE for C# or VB.NET and open APIs.
Ranorex comes with an armory of an advanced set of features to enhance management and editing elements. These high level distributed testing options has attracted several users as it saves them both time and money.
- The Ranorex tool comprises advanced and professional features.
- The tool provides users with regular updates.
- Pranorex’s object repository is sharable.
- One of the best features of Ranorex is users can conduct parallel testing with a built-in Selenium WebDriver.
- Testers can integrate Ranorex with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Git, Travis CI, and more.
- Some of the sets of features are free, but the premium licensing features are kind of expensive.
- Even though Ranorex provides flexibility in browsers and platforms, it supports only two scripting languages: C# and VB.NET.
- Ranorex does not support macOS.
- Releases can be unstable.
Cucumber has been built with the philosophy of delivering an enhanced end-user experience. Cucumber is an open-source BDD (Behavior Driven Development) tool. A Behaviour Driven Development tool is agile development software that prefers and encourages collaboration among developers.
Cucumber supports various languages like Ruby, Groovy, Java, Scala, etc. The test code is written in a simple business-related English language called Gherkin. Cucumber code can be executed on different frameworks like Selenium, Ruby, etc. The tool’s BDD approach allows expected software behaviors to be specified in a logical language that customers can understand.
Cucumber has an impressive list of clients, including PayPal and Canon, and Being used by 20% of testers, Cucumber supports only web environment.
- Cucumber’s BDD approach promotes teamwork.
- Since Cucumber and Gherkin are readable, testers do not require any prior coding background.
- Cucumber supports various languages, including Java,.Net, Ruby, etc.
- The tool is easy to set up, install, and execute.
- With Cucumber, developers can reuse the code in the test as simple test script architecture.
- Cucumber is free to use.
- Cucumber is faster than other software testing tools.
- Cucumber is not a fully automatic tool.
- Even though Gherkin is a generic language, it requires scripting, which should be specific enough, tedious.
- Not the best tool for the developer’s clients.
ZeuZ Automation Solutionz is a busy and powerful test automation framework for Web, Mobile, Desktop, API, and Cloud apps. It is easy to use, all-in-one tool that enables testers to create complex workflows beyond all platforms in one step. It can be integrated with various CI/CD tools such as JIRA, GIT, Jenkins, TeamCity, etc.
ZeuZ’s advanced architecture allows teams to automate tests on multiple VMS and the cloud. Manual and automation tests can easily create tests like Functional, Regression, Smoke, Visual, and Performance tests at a very reasonable price. It also provides Manual test management, intelligent debugging, Rich reporting, and Visibility across all tests.
ZeuZ delivers on the commitment of true end-to-end automation. This cloud-based DevOps ready tool is one of the best in the market because of the user experience.
- ZeuZ is very easy to use and follow.
- ZeuZ supports a quick response and helpful customer service, and the tool is equipped with How-to-videos.
- ZeuZ is 100% scriptless and AI-supported.
- The scriptless feature of ZeuZ helps in cheaper maintenance costs and scale automation.
- ZeuZ does not have a free version.
- ZeuZ licensing is quite costly.
Worksoft is the industry’s one of the most premier Agile-plus-DevOps continuous automation platforms for complex enterprise applications. WorkSoft is generally used as an automation testing tool for SAP enterprise applications. It offers an industry-leading Agile and DevOps continuous automation platform engineered and intended to tackle the world’s most complex automation problems.
Worksoft is the only tool that offers a code-free continuous test automation platform. This platform is created to satisfy large enterprises’ needs that deal with crucial business-critical protocols, whose testing is vital over multiple applications and systems.
Worksoft offers a suite of features utilized in ERP applications, web apps, mobile apps, and more. This platform is certified by SAP (world’s leading software producers)for integration capability with SAP applications.
- Worksoft is truly scriptless; that is undoubtedly the best part of it.
- Unlike other tools, working with Worksoft is very easy while executing loops.
- Worksoft can be easily integrated with third-party tools.
- Automation of SAP to create processes using Lifetouch, Process Capture is very feasible.
- There is no learning curve.
- Worksoft has a strong customer base with a quick to response community.
- Since Worksoft is coupled with SAP, it cannot be used for other purposes as Selenium can be used.
- Testers have to pause and restart every time the screen changes.
- The tool is not customizable.
Appium is one of the best open-source automated testing tools in the list fundamentally designed for mobile applications. It supports and enables native, hybrid, and mobile web applications automation built for iOS and Android.
Easy to set up and use, Appium is based on server architecture and uses vendor-provided automation frameworks.
Appium utilizes vendor-provided automation frameworks and is based on client/server architecture. Appium is an easy to install tool which is very easy to use. It has attained tremendous popularity and stability over the last few years and is one of the most reliable mobile automation testing tools out there.
- Appium supports multiple test frameworks.
- Appium has no dependency factor on a mobile OS, whether it is Android or IOS.
- Appium enables test execution without a server.
- It supports several languages, like Java, Python, Ruby, C#, etc.
- Appium enables automation of hybrid, native, and web apps with extreme ease of use.
- Appium is open Source and has enormous community support.
- Appium is a web driver compatible tool.
- Locally setting up Appium could be proven to be a challenge.
- A qualified automation tester is a given to build the quality code for automating mobile test cases.
- Appium does not support older versions of Android. It only supports Android 4.2 and later.
The above-listed tools are the current leaders in automated software testing. Based on your application technology you can pick the one that best suits your needs. Happy Testing !!!