We’ve said this once and we will say this as many times as it requires to make an emphasis on the online community. Firewalls are extremely useful when it comes to preventing viruses and other threats from entering your computer.
Unfortunately, they take it too far by blocking websites, applications, or even browsers, especially Google Chrome, from being used. One powerful and permanent solution to this issue is to allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
This is a working but unstable solution. Proceed at your own risk.
Why Is My Google Chrome Browser Blocked?
There are many reasons why you will have to allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings. The most important one is that the browser could be blocked by a firewall from accessing the internet or even be connected to a network.
Now, the firewall can belong to three factors – the Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, or a third-party antivirus.
The Windows Firewall and the Windows Defender security center are programs that eliminate security threats to the computer, through the internet and any other sources.
These two built-in security components of the Windows 10 Operating System (OS) are notoriously well-known for their ability to be paranoid about the computer’s security.
They will also stop legitimate applications from accessing anything that could be a possible source of viruses or other forms of malware, be it the internet, third-party applications, or an extra storage unit.
How Do I Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall?
There is only one target for us, in this situation – allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings. This has to be done on different elements on the computer.
We will just be taking the Chrome browser off the block-lists in the Windows security elements and some of the popular antiviral software, used by
- Include The Chrome Browser In The List Of Windows Firewall Exceptions
- Exclude Chrome From The Windows Virus and Threat Protection Settings
- Allow Chrome To Access Firewall Or Antivirus Settings In Your Third-Party Anti-Malware Software
- Avast Antivirus
Methods To Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall
Let us start getting rid of the firewall barrier that is blocking Chrome, in order to provide access for the Chrome browser to connect with the internet and thereby, allow users to visit websites and download content through a network.
Ensure that your system is connected to a network with sufficient bandwidth before you try checking the availability of the network in the Chrome browser.
Include The Chrome Browser In The List Of Windows Firewall Exceptions
Our first step is to add Chrome as an exclusion to Windows Defender so that the browser receives network access.
- Open the Start menu (Windows key) and search for the Control Panel. You can also navigate through the Start menu. For the search bar, you can press the Windows + S keys together.
- Go into the System and Security settings, which are available when the options are sorted by category.
- Then, click on the Windows Defender Firewall option. This option can directly be chosen, when the contents of the Control Panel are displayed in large icons.
- From the left panel, click on the link that reads ‘Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall’.
- Select the Change Settings option and then, confirm the prompt that asks you if you are sure about wanting to make changes to the computer.
- Choose the Allow another app option and from the Add an app window that appears, click on Browse.
- In the window that comes up, navigate into this directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application
If this isn’t in the Program Files (x86) location, it will be in the Program Files directory.
- Double-click on the chrome.exe application or just select it and choose Open.
- Press the Add button and then, click on the Private and Public checkboxes.
- Finally, choose OK and then, launch the Google Chrome browser to check if it, now, has access to the network.
Alternatively, you can turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off through the same settings. This is also a working option. But it can put your computer at risk, so consider this option.
Exclude Chrome From The Windows Virus & Threat Protection Settings
Virus & Threat Protection is a part of Windows 10 security tools, that works towards preventing the entry of any form of threat from any possible source. This can also be responsible for not making the internet accessible for your Chrome browser.
We can try adding the Chrome browser into the exclusion list for this tool so that we might get browsing access back.
- Search (Windows + S) for the Windows Security application and open it.
This is a part of the Windows Settings (Windows + I) interface, which means that it can also be accessed through the settings window.
- In the Security at a glance section, click on the Virus and threat protection option.
You might get a confirmation window, where you have to click Yes.
- Go into the Manage Settings option and navigate to the Exclusions section.
- Select the Add or remove exclusions option and click on the Add an exclusion button.
- From the small drop-down menu, choose the Folder option.
- Type in this directory
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google
- Click on the Chrome folder and press the Select folder button at the bottom-right corner of the page.
Now, this directory will be added to the list of exclusions to the Virus & Threat protection tool of your Windows 10 computer.
Allow Chrome To Access Firewall Or Antivirus Settings In Your Third-Party Anti-Malware Software
In-built security features of the Windows 10 Operating System (OS) are not the only elements that can get in your way of browsing through the internet. Third-party antivirus software also has firewalls that are as powerful as, or even better than the Windows Defender Firewall or the Virus and Threat pro.
Thereby, the steps to add the Chrome browser to their firewall exception list can be different for each of them. We have picked some of the antiviruses we have used previously and have added the steps that you can take with each of them, for adding the words in the list.
- Launch the Kaspersky Antivirus window through any shortcuts.
- Open the antivirus settings. This is a link at the button of the window.
- Go into the Additional tab, from the left panel.
- Select the Network option.
- Locate the Encrypted connections scanning section and check the Do not scan encrypted settings.
- Close the Kaspersky window.
Once this procedure is complete, try browsing as you did before. You should, now, be able to surf the web.
- Open the Avast Antivirus window. This can be opened through the shortcut in the desktop, task tray, and start menu.
- Click on the Menu option, on the right side of the title bar.
- Go into the Settings option.
- From here, click on the General settings and move to the Exceptions tab.
- Now, click on the ADD EXCEPTION button, which is in the Exceptions section.
- Enter the URL of the blocked website or the folder directory in the text box.
- Select Add and click OK.
If you are a McAfee user, you can disable the firewall entirely. You needn’t worry about the safety of your computer as the Windows Defender Firewall will be activated.
- Launch the McAfee window.
- Unfold the Settings menu and click on the Firewall option.
- At the top of the page, click on the Turn off button.
- A prompt window will ask you how long you want to turn the firewall off. Make a choice and click on the Turn off button.
- Open the Malwarebytes antivirus window.
- Click on the Settings (gear icon) and move to the Allow list tab.
- Here, press Add and this will bring the Add an Item to your Allow list option.
- Choose the Allow a file or folder option. The rest are for premium users.
- Navigate to the Chrome installation directory and choose it –
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome
- Select Done, when you are.
The above are the three different steps that you can take to allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings. You should be able to use the Google Chrome browser as usual. Happy Browsing!
How Do I Allow Chrome To Access The Network In Your Firewall Or Antivirus Settings On Chromebook?
For allowing chrome to access the network in the firewall or antivirus settings, you will have to add them to the exclusion list on the computer’s Windows Defender firewall or the Virus & Threat Protection settings. This will allow any feature through Windows Defender Firewall and the Virus & Threat Protection. Thereby, allowing you to access the internet.
How Do I Unblock Chrome Antivirus?
The only way to unblock Chrome on your antivirus is to add it to the exclusion list on the firewall settings in the antivirus. This is the permanent solution to the issue when Chrome doesn’t have access to the internet.
How Do I Allow Firewall To Access My Network?
Firewalls can automatically access the network, once they are installed on the computer. Only then will it be able to scan the websites and look for possible sources of threats.
How Do I Stop Chrome From Blocking My Firewall?
Stopping Chrome from blocking your firewall is not really an issue, but it can be solved by adding the chrome browser’s directory to the firewall’s exemption list.