When you meet a new person and become frank with them, the first thing you do is have their cell number. But ‘that awkward moment’ when you cannot add their name and number in your address book.
Instead of launching the Contacts app and searching for the “Add Contact” button on almost any phone, long-press the Contacts icon from your home screen or app drawer and select “Create contact” from the popup to add contacts on an Android device.
There are several ways to add a contact to your Android smartphone. You may enter the number manually and add the person’s name or add it from your logs or conversation. Various Android apps contact you, and you may select which one to use based on the scenario.
This article shows you how to add a contact on your Android to decide which method works best for you.
Choose How you Want To Add Contacts on an Android Device
Below mentioned main pointers are the highlights of different ways of adding contacts to your smartphone gig. Each one of them is illustriously explained further down below.
- Google’s Contacts
- Add Contacts through Email Suggestions
- Using Dialpad
- Adding a Contact Using Call History
- Adding Contacts From Messages on Android Device
1. Google’s Contacts
Since Google’s Contacts app looks the same regardless of which Android device (Samsung, Huawei, etc.) you are using, it is a surefire way to add contacts. The Contacts app makes it simple to add new contacts.
- Swipe up from the Home screen to get to the All Apps screen, or hit the All Apps button if one is available.
- Locate the Contacts app on the All Apps screen and tap it.
- The Contacts app launches, displaying a list of all of your Google Account’s contacts. In the lower-right corner, tap the round Add + button.
- Tap the available fields on the Create contact screen to enter the contact’s information.
- The arrow next to the First name reveals more name choices.
- At the bottom, select More fields to reveal additional boxes where you can enter additional information.
- To associate an image with the contact you are creating, click the Add contact photo icon at the top.
- When you are finished, click Save in the top-right corner, and your contact will be created.
A small notification at the bottom of the screen informs you that your contact has been saved, and you can read the details you just entered.
2. Add Contacts through Email Suggestions.
The Contacts app also makes suggestions for people you can add.
- Tap the hamburger or the three-dot menu button in the top-left corner to open it.
- This brings up a new menu where you can access Suggestions.
- On the next screen, you can “Add people you email frequently.” Tap it to activate it.
Using the available information, that person is quickly added to your contacts. A brief notice appears at the bottom of the screen, providing the ability to view your contact for any further editing.
3. Using the Old-school Dialpad
If you need to quickly write down a number, the keypad in your Phone app may be the best option. To begin;
- Launch the Phone app, which should be accessible by default in your Favorites bar at the bottom of the Home screen. You can find it on the All Apps screen if it isn’t.
- Tap the phone receiver icon in the app.
- At this point, some smartphones allow you to access the dial pad.
- The dial pad button is accessible on the lower-right edge of the screen on others. Tap it to activate it.
- Dial the number you want to add on the dial pad screen. Then select “Create new contact.”
- The “Add to contacts” pane appears, where you can enter some basic information for the phone number you entered.
- As shown in the first section of this tutorial, you can add more information by tapping on More details.
- To finish adding a new contact to your Android, press the Save button.
You can also use the “Create new contact” option in the Contacts tab of the Phone app. This will take you to the Create contact popup as described above.
4. Adding a Contact Using Call History
You can also use the Phone app’s call history to add anyone you have spoken with. To begin;
- Launch the Phone app from your Home screen or All Apps.
- Then go to the Recents tab.
- This is where you can view your call history on your Android smartphone, including calls made, received, and missed.
- When you press on an unknown phone number in the list, a dropdown menu appears, from which you can select the Add contact option.
- On some Android smartphones, pressing the small ‘i’ icon beside a number reveals the option Create New Contact.
- This brings up the “Add to contacts” window. Add basic information to the number and save it.
- If you want to edit a contact, you can long-press the contact or tap contact info, which will prompt you to the editing menu.
Alternatively, you can access Call history by first pressing the More button in the Phone app. Its icon consists of three vertical dots.
- Tap on Call history in the menu that appears. The Call history screen organizes your device’s calls into All and Missed categories.
- Tap on any unknown number to bring up a dropdown menu, then select “Create new contact.”
- The “Add to contacts” pane appears, as described above. Enter any additional information and then click Save.
5. Adding Contacts From Messages on Android Device
If you have chatted online with someone and want to add them to your contacts, open the Messages app from your Home screen or All Apps.
You should see all the messages your device received on the next screen. Locate the chat with the person you want to add.
You now have two choices for adding their phone number to your contacts.
- You can select that chat by touching and holding it, then tapping the Add contact icon.
- Another option is to open the chat and press the More button in the top-right corner to show a dropdown menu. Its icon consists of three vertical dots. This takes you to the contacts manager.
To begin adding your new contact;
- Tap on Add contact. Regardless of your chosen method, both options will take you to a new screen with your phone number and a large “Add to contacts” button. Tap it to activate it.
- This will bring you to a screen where you can link the number with an existing contact or create a new one. Select “Add a new contact.”
- You are taken to the “Add to contacts” pane, where you can enter basic contact information before pressing Save.
A “New contact?” banner may appear at the top of the screen as a third option.
- Tap on ‘Add contact.’
- This prompts you to the “Add a contact” pane, where you can enter some basic information before tapping Save.
Wrapping Up Adding Contacts
Surely, it is fantastic that there are different ways to add a contact to your Android phone. Furthermore, if you frequently use a contact, you can create a speed-dial shortcut for it.
Contact sync is another fast and reliable method to retrieve and add new contacts. But the syncing suits more with iOS as Android users enjoy numerous other options.
Some people add additional information when adding a contact. If you ask the editor of this article, I usually only include the first names, but some of my mates include much more information (than required).