Apple Inc has been known to launch new iPhones every year. If you are one of those people, who likes upgrading their iPhone every year, you could have had a hard time backing up data from your previous mobile.
This is because you may not know how to add the email account with your data, synced to it, to your Apple iPhone. Also, you are required to log in to an email account as an account is essential for the functioning of not only iPhones but also other hand-held devices.
This article was exclusively created to clear your queries on how to add an email account to your iPhone for data backup, email composition, and cloud service utilities. We will talk about and take you along the course of adding an email account to your iPhone.
The procedures in this article can be used to add an account from any third-party email provider, like Google, Microsoft Exchange, Yahoo, AOL, and Outlook to your iDevice. You don’t need a mail app for this.
How to add an iCloud email account to your iPhone
These steps will help you add your iCloud account to your iPhone.
- Open Settings on your iPhone, from the home screen.
- Scroll down and find Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Because you have a new phone or a phone which isn’t logged into any email account, you’ll see an Add Account window.
- Select iCloud from the list of email service providers. iCloud can be logged into with the address domains @icloud.com, @me.com, and/or mac.com
- Use your login information (email address and password related to your Apple ID that you want to add) to enter the account. Click next, when done If you are a new user, you can always create a new account for free.
- The iCloud settings for the iPhone window open. This window lets you select which you receive and sync features and their content like Mail, Contacts, Calendars, etc.
- Turn on the toggle switches of the features you want to be enabled. For instance, when you turn on Mail, you’ll start getting iCloud mail on your iPhone.
How to add your email account to an iPhone
(iOS versions 10 and earlier have Passwords & Accounts. In the later updates, this option was changed to Accounts)
- Open the Settings from your home screen.
- Locate the Passwords&Accounts settings. It has a key for a logo.
- You’ll see the mail accounts that are already connected with your mobile.
- Tap Add Account. This will let you add email accounts from Microsoft Exchange, Google, Yahoo, and other popular email address domains.
- From the list of mail services, add an account from the domain you want to add.
- Enter your login information (email address and password) for your mail account and proceed. The account will be added to your iPhone.
Setting Up Mail in an iOS Phone
Step 1. Launch Settings. Navigate to Accounts & Passwords.
Step 2. Tap Add Account and choose Other from the list.
Step 3. Tap Add Mail Account and enter the details related to the mail account you want to add.
Step 4. In the upper part of the screen, you have to choose between IMAP or POP. Choose IMAP.
Step 5. Enter the setting for your server. Tap Next to continue.
Step 6. Save the account. You will be taken to the Add an Account window. Select the account you saved.
Step 7. Touch Advanced, on the bottom.
Step 8. Look through the Mail behaviors. On the server, these are the locations of the type of mail you receive. This should be how your Mail Behavior section looks.
Drafts mailbox – Drafts
Sent mailbox – Sent
Deleted mailbox – Trash
Archive Mailbox – Archive
Change the locations if they are wrongly labeled.
Step 9. Enter the prefix for the IMAP path as Inbox. It has to be in all Capitals.
Once these steps are perfectly done, you’ll have successfully set up mail for your iPhone.
Note: IMAP stands for Internet Message Address Protocol. Its job is to save mail information on the server. POP expands into Post Office Protocol. It is used to recover and extract data from the server,
Add Gmail, Outlook, or another email provider to your phone
There are a few email accounts, that you can automatically add without having to enter them manually. The steps for every account are quite similar to each other. Such account domains and the steps to add them to an iPhone are as follows.
- Open Settings app > Account > Add Account.
- From the list, Choose Google.
- In the first window, you’ll be asked to enter your email id.
- If you have enabled two-factor security, you needn’t enter your password. If you haven’t, you have to type in your password.
- If you have two-factor authentication, which needs the mail app, enabled, you will have to select the correct number that comes to you as your notification on your primary device in which Gmail is logged in.
- Open Settings app > Account & Passwords > Add Account.
- On the screen, you’ll see the list of domains. Choose Outlook.
- You’ll get a simple form that has to be filled up, in order to be logged in. Type in the name, email id, passcode, and account description.
- Touch Next and then Sign in. You are done.
- Open Settings > Account > Add Account.
- Choose MS Exchange, from the list on the screen.
- Enter your name, login information, and account Description.
- Tap Next and then Sign in.
Note: Outlook and Exchange are both developed by Microsoft. Outlook also lets you manage your events and calendar. The Exchange server delivers mail directly to the servers.
How to Manually Add an Email Account to Your iPhone
This is similar to adding another email to your iPhone. These are the steps to add accounts, manually
- Open the Settings. Scroll down and tap Accounts & Passwords. Tap Add an Account.
- You will see a list of a few email service providers. If your email provider is not on the list, select Other, below all the other options.
- There are quite a number of options but you have to tap Add Mail Account.
- You will be asked to enter your Name, Email Address that you want, Password, and Description of the account.
- Touch Next, when you have finished filling in the information asked.
- Your email account and password get verified and then you’re done.
We hope you found this article helpful. Thanks for reading!
If you would like to know about blocking the emails on iCloud then that can also be done easily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I connect an email with my iPhone?
Adding an email helps you back up data to your cloud storage and also makes it easy to use. A mail app is not required to do this.